Alberton Footy League - 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

A bit of perspective on the Fisher incident, and I am in no way condoning what was a filthy act, but I find it amazing how a club such as Dalyston can take the high moral ground on this issue. Firstly to allow the video (which was taken by the club) to be released into the public forum was a gross error of judgement. Having been involved in the Alberton Football league for a long time I understand there is a long history of bad blood between Dalyston and Phillip Island. Also the Dalyston FC are in no-way cleanskins, in fact they are one of the more "rugged and physical" teams in the comp. In the 2014 Grand final Dalystons coach was sent off for striking a P.I player when the game was all but over, and they have a number of players who from time to time step over the mark when it comes to fair play. Phillip Island are no angels either and have some players who many would consider to be dirty. Unfortunately for Fisher, who I understand to be a fair player, when you play with a team who push the boundaries sometimes you are going to be on the recieving end. I Agree that the penalty was light but if he wasn't ex AFL no-one would have seen the video nor cared, and no-one would be talking about it. As for Dalyston supporters apparently spitting on the Island players, that is one of the most appalling things I have heard a supporter group do. I would hope the Dalyston FC have disciplined these supporters as I would hate to see this become a regular occurrence. I might add that I am involved with neither of these clubs.
As for the Grand Final this week I cant see Fish Creek getting close to Dalyston, it would have to be one hell of a turnaround from the 89 and 110 point thrashings they recieved in the home and away rounds.
or one massive choke from the Dalyston boys

Any recruiting news around? Hearing Toora and Bass have a few and kraska gone from Dalyston. What else is happening?

Any recruiting news around? Hearing Toora and Bass have a few and kraska gone from Dalyston. What else is happening?
Tarwin had 3 million injuries last year and are quietly recruiting.
They seem to think the list will be top 4 next year.

Nearly season time any new whispers a round? KB look to have recruited quite a few, most teams seem to have more ins than outs at this stage. Korumburra a basket case again, also heard number of Phillip Island players not playing for some reason? Anybody heard this, may be B.S.?

Been a good first couple of rounds looks like Foster have recruited really well with good wins over Killy bass and Fish creek. League looking a lot more even than past few years, good to see allies and Toora up and about early also

Hey, Used to play for the MDU, had a hiatus from the game for 2 years but what i really would like to know are your thoughts on the League Shakeup with Bass, PI, Invy and the Giants being granted leave to go to another league. Like as i said since not playing im not sure whats going on, I haven't been following it much since im no longer involved but would you rather see the Alberton Evaporate into other comps. Or would you like to see other teams come in to make this once great leauge still have some competetion?

Hey, Used to play for the MDU, had a hiatus from the game for 2 years but what i really would like to know are your thoughts on the League Shakeup with Bass, PI, Invy and the Giants being granted leave to go to another league. Like as i said since not playing im not sure whats going on, I haven't been following it much since im no longer involved but would you rather see the Alberton Evaporate into other comps. Or would you like to see other teams come in to make this once great leauge still have some competetion?

Basically Alberton has been changed to fix the Ellinbank league which has been a shambles for a few years, they have tried lots of things to fix it and this is the newest one. Alberton will probably drop off but at least teams should be on a pretty even playing field money wise. Hope they change junior age divisions back to under 15's and 18's so all teams can field two sides otherwise the league will go under.

Fish Creek v IK this week should be a great game, the top 4 this year have all been really even, games between top 4 have been decided by 18, 10, 8, 1, 15, 5, 8, 5, 10, 10, 48, 30, hopefully grand final will be same

Fishy riding a 14 game winning streak in better form but anything could happen on the day. Bit of a shame that FC have 3 teams and IK 4 will definitely mean smaller crowd

Does anyone know what date the AFNL season starts in 2017?
I am hoping that it will be on April 1 as I will be in Victoria on that weekend and I am keen to go to an Alberton game that day, before making it a double-header by going to the night game at Korumburra in the WGFNC.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Panthercat does enjoy a good troll, and asking questions he knows the answer to. Heard Tarwin are looking good senior wise. No under 16's through the comp isn't a great start unfortunately, hopefully get it up and running next year

The AFNL has given permission for their clubs to seek entrance to other competitions for 2019, which is tacit approval that if any get accepted they will be allowed to leave. A 6 team competition was never sustainable but this is the death knell -- if even one team gets accepted into another league it's curtains. Hopefully things can be resolved and no clubs have to go into recess for a year with no competition to play in. Logically, Mid Gippy, North Gippy and West Gippy should take 2 teams each for 2019 -- probably what AFLG's review should have found in the first place as they were never putting clubs back into Alberton.

The AFNL has given permission for their clubs to seek entrance to other competitions for 2019, which is tacit approval that if any get accepted they will be allowed to leave. A 6 team competition was never sustainable but this is the death knell -- if even one team gets accepted into another league it's curtains. Hopefully things can be resolved and no clubs have to go into recess for a year with no competition to play in. Logically, Mid Gippy, North Gippy and West Gippy should take 2 teams each for 2019 -- probably what AFLG's review should have found in the first place as they were never putting clubs back into Alberton.

Where should each of the clubs go? Considering how close they are the logical choice was to try and keep them together so the rivalries can continue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back