News Alberton Oval Redevelopment

Remove this Banner Ad

Reckon they need to fix the PA system. Can barely hear what the person says.
The PA system only really works well for the Quinn Stand and areas close to it.

They havent upgraded the system to cover the full ground or say 60% from the southern end of the Williams family stand to say where the big screen is on the eastern side.

As part of the redevelopment of the Bowling Club atea, it should be a priority to get a stadium quality PA system for at least the western side of the ground, from the most southern seat in the new stand in the Bowling Club area to the most northern seat in the Quinn stand.

We will never get a multi million dollar full stadium system like at AO, but they have to get a decent upgrade as part of the stage 4 development.

The basketball court and new indoor oval look good, the weights room, pool, spas etc don’t look that impressive for a professional sporting organisation tbh.

can we go recreationally shoot some hoops?
Nope as the club has use before 5pm and then the West Adelaide Bearcat kids go and practice and play games.

“Throughout the planning process, we worked closely with the City of Port Adelaide Enfield Council to support the local sporting infrastructure needs and Basketball courts were the priority identified, with the West Adelaide Bearcats Basketball Club utilising the courts after hours for their ninety something junior teams.

Watched last 10 minutes of the 2nd quarter, and last 13 minutes of the 4th.

What can you take out of the match? Bugger all really.

Most of the gun players were coasting. Neither side was frenetic at their attack on the contest. Lots of uncontested marks. Skill errors in abundance.

At least a couple of good signs with Mead doing very well, whilst BZT and later Rata started gelling a bit more in the back half.
Freo missing a lot of players, and probs bottom 6 anyway, so predictable coasting to victory by Port.

We'll know more in a fortnight!

Yeah, the lights were nice and bright, definitely a nice white light, not the yellow light of yesteryears at various stadiums around Oz as LED technology has improved the last decade or two.

I was a bit unsure if they would look bright enough on TV as AO, as I stood in front of the Williams stand and when you look out to the right of the new facility, ie soccer pitch area, it was pretty dark, as unlike AO, there are no stands for the light to reflect off.

But it looked all good when I got home and watched some footage.

Last edited:
Loved the vibe at Alberton on Friday night, and clearly redevelopment is a massive upgrade.

There is room for improvement though…

The biggest mistake they have made is the upgrade of the players benches. By making them fit for AFL trial games/AFLW, they now sit WAY too high and have taken away one of the best spots on Alberton Oval to watch football from - centre wing on the member’s side. I actually think they need to re-do them again and fix their mistake.

Old mate Richo watched it from the same spot in the Quinn stand that he watches every game. I’m surprised he didn’t spend each qtr. in a different vantage point to get an actual sense of what the supporters are experiencing.

Loved the vibe at Alberton on Friday night, and clearly redevelopment is a massive upgrade.

The biggest mistake they have made is the upgrade of the players benches. By making them fit for AFL trial games/AFLW, they now sit WAY too high and have taken away one of the best spots on Alberton Oval to watch football from - centre wing on the member’s side. I actually think they need to re-do them again and fix their mistake.

Old mate Richo watched it from the same spot in the Quinn stand that he watches every game. I’m surprised he didn’t spend each qtr. in a different vantage point to get an actual sense of what the supporters are experiencing.
The viewing facilities on the south eastern portion of the ground needs some rethinking with the terracing now removed. Perhaps it will work for a magpie SANFL game with the certain reduced crowd numbers but unless you get a possie on the fence your viewing is restricted. It’s a fair chunk of the ground!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The viewing facilities on the south eastern portion of the ground needs some rethinking with the terracing now removed. Perhaps it will work for a magpie SANFL game with the certain reduced crowd numbers but unless you get a possie on the fence your viewing is restricted. It’s a fair chunk of the ground!
Agreed. The lack of any 'tiered' option in the SE corner is an opportunity lost.

I don't think they will do it, but if they got rid of the colour bond metal roof on the benches, and replaced it with a clear perspex, like they have for the back wall of the benches, then I think it solves most of the problems.

The other thing they have to improve is the PA system. They wont get Adelaide Oval quality, but they will probably wait until the Boling Club development is finished to at least get the western side of the ground with a high quality PA system.

I'm sure that Canoogs, who hasn't posted on here since our 2021 Prelim Final abomination, and is an acoustics engineer, worked in Canada for awhile, could help with fixing up the problems given some of the discussions he had on here about stadium acoustics and PA systems.

This is good feedback to send directly to the club.

Saturday night's Magpies game v Norwood at 7.10pm is the first game at Alberton under lights for premiership points.

With the A grade playing on Friday night should get many of the club's players coaches and officials there, and hopefully a decent crowd.

Lets hope the 12 or 13 top up players we will use put in a performance like they did against WWT last Sunday, where the scores were even or a point or two different with 5 minutes to go before 3/4, and the dam wall busted open.

The AFLW girls didn't play any home games in 2023 under lights, but will probably get 3 maybe 4 of their 5 home games under lights, based on what the club has been hinting at, that the AFL want from the redevelopment.

There was the trial game against Freo at the start of March which was the first competitive game played under lights from 7.30pm, the crows trial started at 5.30pm.

Saturday night's Magpies game v Norwood at 7.10pm is the first game at Alberton under lights for premiership points.

With the A grade playing on Friday night should get many of the club's players coaches and officials there, and hopefully a decent crowd.

Lets hope the 12 or 13 top up players we will use put in a performance like they did against WWT last Sunday, where the scores were even or a point or two different with 5 minutes to go before 3/4, and the dam wall busted open.

The AFLW girls didn't play any home games in 2023 under lights, but will probably get 3 maybe 4 of their 5 home games under lights, based on what the club has been hinting at, that the AFL want from the redevelopment.

There was the trial game against Freo at the start of March which was the first competitive game played under lights from 7.30pm, the crows trial started at 5.30pm.

Hope it’s televised

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

watch it on the AFL website live or the replay

Thanks, I automatically thought televised meant on 7, and forgot its streamed for free these days on AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back