Albums live in full

Remove this Banner Ad

Springsteen and Van Morrison have done this on occasion. Both have vast catalogues to choose from, so not sure it's necessarily a sign of running out of ideas.

The Angels re-recorded the entire Face To Face last year with Dave Gleeson on vocals. In that case (and without having heard it) I might agree that it's an attempt to stay relevant.

When Springsteen toured with The River - a double album - in 2016 celebrating its 35th anniversary, he played it in full - on the first US leg, and at European shows where he had multiple night stints.

Seen him to do Born To Run, Darkness on the Edge of Town, and Born in the USA. He's also done Greetings from Asbury Park, and The Wild, The Innocent and The E-Street Shuffle over the years. (The latter in Australia, and he's only done it twice IIRC - the other time in NYC).

Album shows are great, IMO. I've only seen him do it, and his catalogue is deep enough to still get plenty of everything else.

The BTR album show is the best concert I've seen.

Three more this year - 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill' and two recent ones...'The Soft Bulletin' by Flaming Lips (20th anniversary) and 'Constellations' by August Burns Red (10th anniversary)….both in order and sensational.

You know what I hated all those new wave bands in the 80's but listening to Dare now,the album really is fantastic.

Musically, this genre is not my cup of tea, but "Dare" is a very good record.

Midge Ure appears to play the Vienna album in its entirety, and I'm seeing him next March - does this count? I mean it's an Ultravox album but he was the singer.

Have seen the following - all have been awesome.

- Roger Waters - The Wall (sorta counts?)
- Nas - Illmatic
- Wu Tang - Enter 36 Chambers

I saw the Melvins play Houdini at Ding Dong Lounge a few years back and loved it. Also saw Roger Waters perform The Wall in 2010 and it was unbelievable. I love it, I wish more bands would do it especially concept albums.

Would love to see Tool perform Aenima, Cradle of Filth do Cruelty and the Beast and Radiohead do OK Computer

As an aside I saw Radiohead at rod Laver about 15 years ago and it was one of the most disappointing concerts I've been to. I think Thom Yorke was sick which didn't help. DJ Shadow at the Palace was another really disappointing gig around 2003/04.

Conversely I saw Melvins/Fantomas/Tomahawk at the Palace and it was a gig I wasn't expecting much from (I hadn't listen to that much of any of them) and it blew me away especially the Melvins. Became a fan of theirs from that gig on. Cypress Hill also put on great/fun concerts when I've seen them (Festival Hall and Metro). Had some extra "help" enjoying those ones 🤪

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen 3 (kind of 4) now and I've enjoyed them all heaps more than I thought I would in theory.

1. Weezer's Blue album was a phenomenal gig. They played a bunch of their other songs first and then had a bit of a documentary about the making of the Blue album. There was no bigger cheer for the night than the first arpeggios of My Name Is Jonas.

2. The Presidents of the USA playing their first self-titled album in full was one of the most uplifting shows I've ever seen. Everyone in the room was just having the time of their life, including the band themselves. Even if you'd never heard their music before, you would have just been swept up in the sense of fun in the room.

3. Although the track order was slightly different to the album, Sufjan Steven's tour of Carrie & Lowell was incredible - hauntingly beautiful at times, but also quite intense as well. But because they changed the tracklist a little and didn't play the final song until the last song of the encore, it only counts as a "kind-of" album show.

4. I went a few weeks ago to the U2 Joshua Tree show. I'm not a massive fan of U2, but there were $60 tickets available a couple of days beforehand, so one of my mates came along to the SCG to watch it with me. It was brilliant. The whole stage-show was like nothing I'd ever seen and I won't lie, I got teary throughout the first few songs. There's just something really moving to me about an artist aiming for something seemingly unattainable, but actually succeeding.

I saw Jethro Tull at the Horden Pavilion in 1972 play "Thick as a Brick" in full. Their stage show was terrific, it was like watching Monty Python doing music. That was the first time I had ever seen a band with a stage show to go with the music. Still the best concert I have ever been to.
Years later I saw Bette Midler do "Divine Miss M" in her Divine Madness Tour. It was a fantastic show. Great singer and unbelievably rude and funny. If you ever get to see her, don't arrive late or sit in the front row.

1578427312114.png

Back story.
My older late sister and her boyfriend at the time had VIP/wing area tickets and went to the Apollo Theater, Glasgow in April 1978, not really knowing what to expect.
Neither of them were AC/DC fans, she was more into Frampton and he liked ABBA and soft rock etc.

A few vivid memories she had; the stage was unbelievably about 5m high, the packed crowd was crazy and the bouncers were just bashing people all night which she'd never seen before or since at any concert..!!!

Last edited:
90's icon Alanis Morissette is headed to Byron Bay Blues Fest over Easter to perform her wonderful angry album, Jagged Little Pill in its entirety!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back