Albums that were average on first listen but now you love

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
My submission: Angel Dust - Faith No More

When this first came out 25 years ago, I thought it was some weird, spaced out s**t. I also thought it was a disappointment in comparison to The Real Thing, which I loved back then. But OMG, over time I have come to love Angel Dust, an absolute masterpiece in musical creativity and production. Still sounds amazing and relevant now 25 years later. I now rate it higher than The Real Thing. Possibly their greatest album, up there with King For A Day.

Keen to hear from others.

Dixie Normous

Premiership Player
May 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

When this first came out 25 years ago, I thought it was some weird, spaced out s**t. I also thought it was a disappointment in comparison to The Real Thing, which I loved back then. But OMG, over time I have come to love Angel Dust, an absolute masterpiece in musical creativity and production. Still sounds amazing and relevant now 25 years later. I now rate it higher than The Real Thing. Possibly their greatest album, up there with King For A Day.

I actually hated King For a Day when it came out and now I love it.

I saw them live during the Angel Dust tour and seeing 'Jizzlobber' live was intense.

Didn't like Spiderland by Slint or Red Medicine by Fugazi when they both came out and I should have had my head examined as they are both A+++

GroggSquad

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond

10 years ago I would have agreed with you. I loved Angel Dust, own it on both vinyl and CD, and have always regarded it as FNM's best album.

But relevant now? I'm not so sure - I wouldn't exactly call Alternative Metal the sound of the decade and you rarely hear it's influence in relevant contemporary music. If you made a playlist of 2010s music, it would be hard to just throw an FNM track in there and not have it stand out like a sore thumb IMO.

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
But relevant now? I'm not so sure - I wouldn't exactly call Alternative Metal the sound of the decade and you rarely hear it's influence in relevant contemporary music. If you made a playlist of 2010s music, it would be hard to just throw an FNM track in there and not have it stand out like a sore thumb IMO.

I was a big fan of FNM but now i feel the same, tried to listen to their albums a few months ago and it sounded dated.

Most old prog rock albums are like that,the trouble is people dismiss the genre after one listen.

I remember in the 80’s buying Heavy Horses from Jethro Tull on vinyl,it was 13 bucks back then,put it on and hated it but I gave it a second chance and with every listen,I loved it more to now it’s stayed with me for life.

No albums today do that to me,they are great on first listen but then wear very quickly till I get bored like the Elder records.

Prog is my mental medication,the good 70’s stuff,when I hate myself and call myself a loser,prog rock gets me out of the rutt.

Seems to be hated in Australia this genre.

Last edited:
10 years ago I would have agreed with you. I loved Angel Dust, own it on both vinyl and CD, and have always regarded it as FNM's best album.

I love Mr Bungles,Disco Volante.

Dec 18, 2005
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
I’m spot on with my first listen. I know straight away if it’s good. If it’s no good, it really doesn’t improve. I’ll listen to something 20 years later and still feel the same whether it’s good or not

I’m spot on with my first listen. I know straight away if it’s good. If it’s no good, it really doesn’t improve. I’ll listen to something 20 years later and still feel the same whether it’s good or not

Yeah,but some albums can be really great first listen but then you lose interest with repeated listens.

My fav albums are ones that grow on me.

Led Zep 2 had fantastic production values,the use of delay on the snare drum during Whole Lotta Love,they used that effect later on When The Levee Breaks when they set Bonham’s drums up in a hotel lobby and recorded the natural slapback echo.

None of Led Zeppelin II got me going for a while but as many say, it really is a complete rock and roll album.
That's the standout for me too. After the first time I listened to it I said 'It's not very musical' but now is in my top10. I don't think I liked Supertramp much at first but they grew on me esp Crime of the Century

Vincent Hanna

Premium Platinum
Mar 15, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
U2 - No Line On The Horizon

When it came out, I played it a few times and thought it was a slightly better than average effort for them. Didn't play it at all for years and then early last year I dug it out and gave it a spin and have loved it ever since. It's easily their best album since the 90's IMO.

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Arcadea - Self titled

I had high hopes for this album given the pedigree of its members and their previous efforts in other bands, but felt the album lacking upon the first few listens. Having revisited it again recently without those expectations I found it to be thoroughly enjoyable and it has remained on heavy rotation since. Heavy leaning synth rock.

Back