Health Alcohol - quitting and coping with age

Remove this Banner Ad

Cannabis works if you smoke it before alcohol or at the end of the night to finish up. In the middle not so much.

I’m aiming to give it up at the end of next month until GF Day, mainly for fitness purposes. Also trying to lay off the fast food which will be a hell of a lot harder a task! I’ve managed to drop 8kgs since Xmas and pretty keen to put in the effort to have one last good crack at cricket next season, maybe actually be fit enough to get past 50 🙄
Anyway, I’m an at least one can a day drinker as of right now. Usually just have one before getting home after work so I chill out and don’t bite the heads off people, so I’ll need to actually function like a human being instead. Tricky!

I am not a big drinker myself.

Definitely in the minority where I don't feel the need to have a drink after a s**t day at work, or to de-stress, or just fun.

I will drink a bit socially but nothing outrageous.

I haven't had a drink since last Thursday. Got a birthday on Sunday and might have one or two if that.

There's no better feeling than finding some prescription meds to help you out the following the day after boozing it up. Last pint of the night should come with a complimentary baggie of some pills.

I am not a big drinker myself.

Definitely in the minority where I don't feel the need to have a drink after a s**t day at work, or to de-stress, or just fun.

I will drink a bit socially but nothing outrageous.

I haven't had a drink since last Thursday. Got a birthday on Sunday and might have one or two if that.
What do you do if you have a s**t day? (Genuine). I will drink or go to bed and sleep for 4 hours or watch tv if non boring. Genuinely too tired to exercise some days

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I also rarely drink during the week. Will occasionally sit down and have a drink, but rarely more than one and only if there's some occasion.

Have friends who will sit down and knock off a beer or two then a whole bottle of wine by themselves at home. That's not a good habit to get into.

I'm in my 30's now and would say alcohol is a big part of my life and always has been. Just a family thing I guess, not sure my folks being poms has anything to do with it but I have other mates with similar heritage and it seems to be common to celebrate anything and everything with booze. Not to a level where there is domestic violence/sloppy drunkeness but everyone must have a drink or something isn't right.

If I catch up with friends, it's mostly a pub to have a couple of beers and watch some sport or just talk some smack. I definitely drank more when I was younger but it was definitely with the intention of getting drunk, whereas now I can have a couple of beers with dinner and not have to drink to get drunk. Though, now I have more money I can afford to drink during the week where that wasn't a financial option when you're going to uni and working part time and living away from home.

I don't think it's sad to still catch up with friends for a session every now and then but I guess there is a fine line between that and the guys you see that are always at the bar, same seat, with their change on the counter and the bartenders know to just keep topping up their beer until the money is no longer on the bar. Often discussing how the service isn't what it use to be like they have a PHD in Publican Studies. That is a place I don't ever want to get to.

I also brew and have started to try distilling (that's a lie if any law enforcement are reading this), not to make cheap booze for myself but to try and make top quality booze. If it gets to a point where I hope it will that I can make some form of income from this down the track and my work revolves around alcohol then I guess the temptation because even greater.

As Silent Alarm mentioned in another thread, if you're already working in the alcohol industry I assume it must be extremely hard to not have a pint or two after work if the sun is shining and you want to wind down.
I dont get why people go to the pub to get drunk, not cost effective. Maybe because I'm just anti social

I rarely drink during the week, sometimes i might come home and feel like a beer and have a six pack or something but very rarely.

But there would hardly be a weekend i dont have a drink - even just to have a couple on either Friday or Saturday arvo/night.

I usually will have 4+ on either a friday or saturday night just to relax and unwind. More if im out with mates or away for the weekend. Went to the beach this weekend and ended up having about 14 beers on the saturday - started at 2pm and finished around 10pm - wasnt really too pissed, and woke up no hangover - perfect.

Been drinking less and less lately. Some weekends nothing.

Only had a few wines on Saturday because went on a wine tour. Fell asleep pretty early after that long day.

Guess just getting old.

Got a wedding in couple of months, got people asking if Im gonna get pissed and i said doubt it and they all seem dissappointed. Oh well

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Sitting with mates at a pub having a drink is fun - sometimes you need to go out for a change up etc
Yeah I can get that but some people sitting drinking by themselves in pubs don't seem to be having much fun :p

I try to make it a habit not to drink during the week unless I'm out at an event. If I've had a shitty day, something funny on TV is probably more helpful than a beer.
Yeah I personally don’t understand when people say they have a drink to unwind midweek after a long day. All that does is makes me tired. I’m not feeling a buzz after one beer.

Don’t get me wrong I’ll have the occasional one on a week night and normally on a Friday watching the footy, but that’s because I enjoy having a beer.

I guess maybe some are lying about their consumption and are having multiple glasses of wine or multiple beers a night. That’s not a good habit.

I was never a really big drinker but I cut back my alcohol to almost nothing and also cut out soft drinks as I was trying to lose a few kgs. I am sure I am healthier for it but a bit disappointed it made zero impact on weight. I didn't really substitute it with anything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back