Health Alcohol - quitting and coping with age

Remove this Banner Ad

Literally cant remember the last time I bought a drink at a venue.

Not because I got wasted either lol.

Kinda feeds into my last post - depends on what you're doing. Not trying to be critical or anything (hope it doesn't come off that way), but it seems from the way you're speaking that you're just constantly drinking. Not real great.
Nice trolling, but I do not drink at all Monday to Thursday and haven't been to a club for a good month. 'Constantly drinking.' This is why talking about alcohol is fraught with such s**t... it's either hyperbolic rubbish where a 20-something drinking beers is the sign of hardcore addiction, or else it's dismissive and 'ah, just culture.' Constantly drinking? I don't think seeing a band and having a beer is that weird. For what's it worth I think I've bought about three beers ever at the footy and I reckon I've been to nearly 100 games as an adult.

As for the other thing... do I catch up to drink or drink to catch up? Maybe neither and also both... maybe the idea of drinking beers, hanging out with my mates, and getting pissed is just fun. Drinking with your mates is great – the notion of wanting to catch up, talk about absolute s**t you have in common, like how is that even a bad thing if you have the time and money to do so?

Nice trolling, but I do not drink at all Monday to Thursday and haven't been to a club for a good month. 'Constantly drinking.' This is why talking about alcohol is fraught with such s**t... it's either hyperbolic rubbish where a 20-something drinking beers is the sign of hardcore addiction, or else it's dismissive and 'ah, just culture.' Constantly drinking? I don't think seeing a band and having a beer is that weird. For what's it worth I think I've bought about three beers ever at the footy and I reckon I've been to nearly 100 games as an adult.

As for the other thing... do I catch up to drink or drink to catch up? Maybe neither and also both... maybe the idea of drinking beers, hanging out with my mates, and getting pissed is just fun. Drinking with your mates is great – the notion of wanting to catch up, talk about absolute s**t you have in common, like how is that even a bad thing if you have the time and money to do so?
Wasn't trying to troll. I obviously misunderstood the level of alcohol you take in from what you said.

SA is a West Aussie so he can drink hard.

I thought us West Aussies could out drink anyone until I went to Oktoberfest, we could out drink the Yanks and we could out drink the Germans.

We couldn't out drink the Poms.
Is this why all Perth people visit Bali like it is a right of passage? The cheap booze?

I'm not ostracised because I don't go out for money reasons, but because I used to work back to back close and open shifts all weekend in the days when it was more common for my social group to go out.

When you're trying to hit people up to accompany you for a big night out on Wednesday you realise how fickle people can get when your routine doesn't fit in to the norm. The kebab shop used to stay open for me and the one mate I could rely on though. That was nice of them.

I'm not ostracised because I don't go out for money reasons, but because I used to work back to back close and open shifts all weekend in the days when it was more common for my social group to go out.

When you're trying to hit people up to accompany you for a big night out on Wednesday you realise how fickle people can get when your routine doesn't fit in to the norm. The kebab shop used to stay open for me and the one mate I could rely on though. That was nice of them.
But did you go out on the weekends when you had to work and fit into their schedule?

Somewhat related, how the * do people buy drinks at the footy? Takes a fair while to get from the seat to the bar and back to the seat. I was making plans for a drinks run once, and before I knew it Chad Wingard had taken mark of the year and I had an incredible fan experience sharing in the euphoria around me with mostly strangers. If I had of missed that it probably would have been enough to go cold turkey then and there.

But did you go out on the weekends when you had to work and fit into their schedule?

Yes, more often than not. Usually the last to leave as well (that bit is entirely my problem, but I enjoy good times). The double of standard of people not being able to get up to make work at nine on Thursday so giving it a miss, but 'you'll be right mate' when I gotta be at work at six am Sunday.

This isn't a personal attack on any of my mates, but more a realisation I had about social conditioning of the weekend and peoples drinking habits being dictated more by the calender than their mood.

Yes, more often than not. Usually the last to leave as well (that bit is entirely my problem, but I enjoy good times). The double of standard of people not being able to get up to make work at nine on Thursday so giving it a miss, but 'you'll be right mate' when I gotta be at work at six am Sunday.

This isn't a personal attack on any of my mates, but more a realisation I had about social conditioning of the weekend and peoples drinking habits being dictated more by the calender than their mood.
You need new mates then. Though if you're just hitting up a local on a Wednesday night until close then I can see why some may not be keen.

You need new mates then. Though if you're just hitting up a local on a Wednesday night until close then I can see why some may not be keen.

How's it much different to hitting up the local on Saturday though? Really? When you're just going to have a good time with mates, not look for chicks, not out to see who else is out and about?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How is it trolling? In one post, you're talking up spending $200 a week, knocking off a carton each week, drinking while cooking etc. the next, you don't drink Monday to Friday, haven't been out for a month. If you can't get your thoughts right in your own head, it's not other people discussing alcohol that are fraught with s**t.

How is it trolling? In one post, you're talking up spending $200 a week, knocking off a carton each week, drinking while cooking etc. the next, you don't drink Monday to Friday, haven't been out for a month. If you can't get your thoughts right in your own head, it's not other people discussing alcohol that are fraught with s**t.
For about four years I drank that much, especially in the last 18 months, but I'm saying I've now cut down substantially. That is why I started this thread. I've probably cut my drinking down to about 20% of what it was. I had seven, eight stubbies last night, barely got pissed because it was from 2pm to about 9pm, and that's the most I'll drink all week now. Is it so hard to consider I've changed my habits?

When I first came home after doing some travelling I went out a couple of times to a pub and came back way too pissed to operate and spent the next day crippled by a hangover. I'd cut out a lot of my 'pointless' drinking by that stage, and I'm now cutting out a majority of my social drinking as well. Not sure how long it'll last but in the three or so weeks I've changed my habit a fair bit.

SA is a West Aussie so he can drink hard.

I thought us West Aussies could out drink anyone until I went to Oktoberfest, we could out drink the Yanks and we could out drink the Germans.

We couldn't out drink the Poms.
It's pretty easy to out drink Americans.

They approach alcohol like they approach basically everything else in life... they cheapen it, take it to its limits, and ruin everything good about it.

For example, if it's a beautiful 27 degree day in Australia, it's a nice Saturday, people about, you and a mate might head to a nice beer garden and have a pint at 3pm or so. Whatever. 'Anothery hey?' You keep drinking pints. Comes to 5pm, you grab a counter meal, head to some cheap Asian place nearby, try and wrangle some other people to come out, see what the go is, check some events, whatever. By 11pm you're probably pretty pissed but you've just been drinking beer steadily.

In the US, you go to a bar in that exact situation and they're like a bunch of college kids. I ordered a beer in some trendy part of Williamsburg. Sit down with someone from the hostel, whatever, look around... the waitresses are carrying around plates of lagers with two times as many shots... to, like, everyone? I don't get it. I hate doing shots but if I've only been out for an hour or two and everyone wants to go to a club, yeah I'll have a couple to try and get me to a stage, but that's at 10pm. I don't know why you'd sabotage yourself. It's early – it's a marathon, not a sprint. The best part of drinking is the first stage... whether it's that first jug or three when you're talking mild shite and basking in the light buzz, or you're at someone's house controlling the music and making your way through a carton, that first bit is the best. Americans are pissing away the funnest part of a big session... they just want to get really ****ed up as soon as possible. That's why they're always so drunk by 9pm and it's why their bars are terrible, because even in a city like New York, everyone is too drunk to stay at a venue beyond 10pm. They're ******* idiots.

They're a little better in brewery towns, where people do a more Aussie/British thing and have a beer or two with lunch and then head back to whatever else they're doing, or they drink slower and typically better beers. But for the most part Americans are just tools and their drinking habits are equally as tool-y. It's like they've never gone past the stage of leavers and schoolies.

Americans can't drink in bars/pubs until 21.

It's also possible they want to be asleep by 11pm, not standing in a club at 2am pining for better drugs. Hence the afternoon shots.

Everyone in the US has a few fake IDs.

Not sure what sort of 21 year old wants their Saturday night to be over by 11pm but okay, I guess downing half your night's standard drinks by 6pm is cool by bigfooty standards?

Not sure what sort of 21 year old wants their Saturday night to be over by 11pm but okay, I guess downing half your night's standard drinks by 6pm is cool by bigfooty standards?

Have to be home in time to create a thread about that nights game where you discuss your opinion like anyone actually gives f*ck.

I was up until about 3am last night (watching the cluster f*ck that is Liverpool) and probably ended up having 8 beers and a couple of reds with dinner. Had to be up at 8am this morning and was fine. For me that's pretty usual, as long as I eat during the evening I am usually fine. On the flip side I can go to the pub and down 3-4 pints on a Thursday within a couple of hours, get at least 7 hours sleep and wake up dusty as.

Am cutting right back on my intake as well, not that I have any issues with how often I drink but more because I am going on holiday soon and I don't want to have any extra kg's and realistically know I'll probably be drinking most days when I'm away.

And you Bitch about others making assumptions or generalisations about you.

Sorry, didn't know everyone in America is your age.

What the * does BigFooty have to do with it. Wouldn't have thought the concept of "If you want to be drunk for X hours, starting drinking X hours before you go to sleep" is hard to figure out. There's plenty of shitty little towns in America without 'Melb's' large nightlife variety too. If drunk at 3pm is an option, why not take it?

When Silent Alarm is 27 he'll start a thread saying people who imbibe more than once a month are losers. And at 35 say living in Officer is really great.

Drunk at 3pm is okay if it's Grand Final Day but what sort of *head rocks up to a bar and the first thing they order is a beer and a shot? Okay if you've just knocked off work and your mates are 10 deep and you need to catch up, fair, go for that dangerous game. But it's lame as *.

Americans are people I used to respect but you go there and they're generally rude campaigners in New York City or else ignorant, dullard campaigners who deserve the reputation, fat, bad food, terrible TV, and s**t presidents they get.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back