Alex Cameron

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Saw these guys twice, supporting The Killers. Alex is part of Seekae, this is his performance art gig.

First concert, I had no idea wtf they were doing, and was intrigued, but not enthused. Holiday Sidewinder was a win though.

Did some reading and listening before the second show - these guys are ******* legends.

Very much into performance art, not just music, which was part of my initial reaction, but once you get into it, they’re brilliant. They’re social media engagement is hilarious - Alex and Roy Malloy, his business partner and saxophonist.

Lyrics like “me and Roy we gotta pretty mean posse, with the Down syndrome Jew from the real estate crew,” and “I got shat on by an eagle baby, now I’m king of the neighborhood, and it feels like I could peel the gym pants of a single mother.”

Give this a listen, then try Runnin outta luck and Marlon Brando.

I’m loving them - and I wonder how much mainstream success they might find if their lyrics weren’t some crass.

Lums23

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United
Saw these guys twice, supporting The Killers. Alex is part of Seekae, this is his performance art gig.

First concert, I had no idea wtf they were doing, and was intrigued, but not enthused. Holiday Sidewinder was a win though.

Did some reading and listening before the second show - these guys are ******* legends.

Very much into performance art, not just music, which was part of my initial reaction, but once you get into it, they’re brilliant. They’re social media engagement is hilarious - Alex and Roy Malloy, his business partner and saxophonist.

Lyrics like “me and Roy we gotta pretty mean posse, with the Down syndrome Jew from the real estate crew,” and “I got shat on by an eagle baby, now I’m king of the neighborhood, and it feels like I could peel the gym pants of a single mother.”

Give this a listen, then try Runnin outta luck and Marlon Brando.

I’m loving them - and I wonder how much mainstream success they might find if their lyrics weren’t some crass.

The bolded never clicked with me. The Worry is a tremendous album. I've never gave the Alex Cameron project a proper go but this definitely provides a bit of extra interest for me. I'll have to give the album a proper listen, it has received great reviews

t_94

Premiership Player
May 6, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
I saw this guy before The Killers. Like you didn't know who he was and didn't really get it at first but the music was decent and he came across as a funny guy from his stage interactions. Listened to a few of his tunes and still not sure how to take him really. Marlon Brando is probably his most accessible song.

As an aside, Holiday Sidewinder is an absolute babe. I remember she used to be on RocKwiz a fair bit back in the day but I hadn't listened to her music all that much in the last few years.

Last edited:
Alex Cameron is one of, if not my favourite act in Australia right now. Probably one of my favourites going around in general. Just such a good songwriter and he and the rest of the crew put on a great show. His Brisbane Laneway set was also good, despite having a s**t time slot. Definitely see him at a headline show if you get the chance though. Absolute quality.

Forced Witness is probably the main album I return to from last year. They don't seem to play Country Figs live, which is a bit of a shame. That was one of my favourites off of Forced Witness, but I suspect it's one that might be a bit confusing to international audiences because of the Australian jargon in it, so maybe they focus on songs they can play anywhere in a live context. Not really sure, seemed to be a pretty notable omission from both sets, with people chanting for it on both occasions. That being said, you can't really go wrong with him, because he hasn't put out a bad song.

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
Real Bad Lookin’ sounds like it should be in a movie soundtrack for sure. Ever since listening to it, I’ve always imagined it to be playing during a real defining moment in a movie.

Real Bad Lookin’ sounds like it should be in a movie soundtrack for sure. Ever since listening to it, I’ve always imagined it to be playing during a real defining moment in a movie.
Agreed. Same with Take Care of Business.

I’m smashing Forced Witness - will download Shark tonight.

You reckon it’s just the vulgarity of their tunes stopping then going mainstream?
Not too sure, but I've actually discussed this a bit with my mate. It really does seem like his music should go mainstream. Not in the naive I like it so other people should too way, but in that it seemingly has everything you would expect for it to go big.

Not sure if Triple J is to blame, or whether it's just people being more drawn toward the pretty bog-average durry rock type stuff that bands like Sticky Fingers and Dune Rats put out. May very well be a bit of both.

Alex is a bit similar to Hatchie, actually. Hatchie is doing exceptionally well overseas and getting plenty of attention from publications like Pitchfork, yet in her hometown of Brisbane, she was a last minute 'local' Unearthed competition winner addition to the Laneway line-up. She played at midday to a crowd of maybe 100 people. That was a few months ago, but even now her hometown show for her EP tour will be at Black Bear Lodge which has a capacity of around 250 people. It's pretty bizarre.

NotAMagpieBogan

Premiership Player
Mar 17, 2014
Vic
AFL Club
Collingwood
His music has the catchiness for mainstream appeal, but it doesn’t have the run of the mill production for it go mainstream. If a Triple J darling band took these songs, but produced them themselves, with their durry rock (I like that term) style, they’d be big songs.

Hatchie is a strange size at the moment. Triple J hype her a lot, and she’s definitely starting to get pretty big overseas, but it’s more of a cult following here. Triple J have been right behind her since Try though.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
Alex Cameron is one of, if not my favourite act in Australia right now. Probably one of my favourites going around in general. Just such a good songwriter and he and the rest of the crew put on a great show. His Brisbane Laneway set was also good, despite having a s**t time slot. Definitely see him at a headline show if you get the chance though. Absolute quality.

Forced Witness is probably the main album I return to from last year. They don't seem to play Country Figs live, which is a bit of a shame. That was one of my favourites off of Forced Witness, but I suspect it's one that might be a bit confusing to international audiences because of the Australian jargon in it, so maybe they focus on songs they can play anywhere in a live context. Not really sure, seemed to be a pretty notable omission from both sets, with people chanting for it on both occasions. That being said, you can't really go wrong with him, because he hasn't put out a bad song.
Picked up Forced Witness off the back of positive reviews here, and having seen him at the Killers. Really enjoying it at the moment. Will probably look at his other album in due course.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
New track from these lunatics - Miami Memories.

It's a bloody catchy song; really enjoyable, with a cool video clip... check out the lyrics :D

Holding your hand at the strip club
Holding your hand at the beach
Holding your hand just to make sure
You're never too far out of reach

[Verse 2]
Making love in your momma's bed
Making love on the floor
Making love in the hotel room
We forgot to shut the door

[Pre-Chorus]
I can't believe they think about it
Leaving here for somewhere new

No one did that city right
But me and you

[Chorus]
Cellulite massage and cocktails
Bursting fireworks over the sea
Maybe I know at the end of the day
The water's rising and it's hard to breathe
Eating your ass like an oyster
The way you came like a tsunami
Our love is strong like a city
In Miami Memory

[Verse 3]
Watching you dance with a bald cap on
Watching you dance all night long
Watching you pleasure a woman
While I sit and carry on

[Verse 4]
Knowing the world is a sinking ship
Knowing we've been here before
Knowing when cars fill with water
A vacuum seals the door

[Pre-Chorus]
I can't believe they dream about it
Moving on to somewhere new
I swear no one does this city right
But me and you

[Chorus]
In Miami Memory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

New track from these lunatics - Miami Memories.

It's a bloody catchy song; really enjoyable, with a cool video clip... check out the lyrics :D

Holding your hand at the strip club
Holding your hand at the beach
Holding your hand just to make sure
You're never too far out of reach

[Verse 2]
Making love in your momma's bed
Making love on the floor
Making love in the hotel room
We forgot to shut the door

[Pre-Chorus]
I can't believe they think about it
Leaving here for somewhere new

No one did that city right
But me and you

[Chorus]
In Miami Memory

[Verse 3]
Watching you dance with a bald cap on
Watching you dance all night long
Watching you pleasure a woman
While I sit and carry on

[Verse 4]
Knowing the world is a sinking ship
Knowing we've been here before
Knowing when cars fill with water
A vacuum seals the door

[Pre-Chorus]
I can't believe they dream about it
Moving on to somewhere new
I swear no one does this city right
But me and you

[Chorus]
In Miami Memory
Love it. Hopefully more to come from them this year.

Also really enjoyed the new one from Holiday Sidewinder (synths and back-up vocals for Al Cam). And also the synth ballads Kirin J Callinan's put out this year too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back