Alex Carey

Remove this Banner Ad

He doesn’t seem to go any worse at international level than domestic level which suggests he’s got the technique and mindset for it. I’m skeptical as to how great his potential is but he’s going ok. It’s a tricky one as to how they move forward. It would have to be a tempting option to put Wade in for the World Cup but Carey is the anointed one and his form can justify his selection.

He's gone OK. Bit scratchy at times batting but ended up scoring at more than a run a ball last night and hit a couple of good boundaries. His keeping has been neat as well. Not sure how many matches he would have played in India before so cant really go too hard on him.

Will probably get the gig for the WC given the squad selected for the UAE. Would have liked to have seen Wade selected in this series and for the UAE and picked just as a batsman. What Wade is capable of doing with the gloves is already known, but having him there at 6 perhaps for a couple of these matches (instead of Turner perhaps as its unlikely he will compete with anyone for a batting position - bit of a wasted selection IMO) would have worth a look to see how his current form plays out in the ODI side. Handscomb could have played a couple of matches and Wade the others.

A bit more competition for the keeping position in the lead up to the WC would have made it a bit more interesting.

I still don’t rate him. He dropped Kohl’s last night and missed another stumping chance, albeit difficult. Not really sure how he is offering more than a Handscomb/Wade/Paine/Bancroft. At least with Wade, Handscomb or Bancroft, you also get a decent bat and another free spot in the XI, which this side needs given how brittle the batting is.

He's nothing special but I doubt we'd get more out of Wade. Wade isn't suited to coming in late in the innings and his keeping is worse.

Give Carey the World Cup but I'm hoping a decent younger option presents themselves sometime soon, preferably someone who's actually suited to batting at 7 unlike Wade/Paine and potentially from what we've seen, Carey.

Keeping been untidy at times but on fire with the bat in the WC, average of 61 sr @ 110. Looking like a good move by Langer and Australia to stick by him instead of going back to proven dud at this level in Wade yet again like a lot on this board were screaming for.

I still don’t rate him. He dropped Kohl’s last night and missed another stumping chance, albeit difficult. Not really sure how he is offering more than a Handscomb/Wade/Paine/Bancroft. At least with Wade, Handscomb or Bancroft, you also get a decent bat and another free spot in the XI, which this side needs given how brittle the batting is.
Very astute...

He’s building into something special with the bat.

He’s the nicest looking left hander we’ve had since Hussey.

His eye is exceptional, hits the ball as cleanly as most.

Think he’s going to develop into a world class limited overs player.

His innings last night sold me on him. His ability to score quickly without taking risks just by playing nice cricket shots was really impressive. Scored at a run a ball and stabilised the innings, and looked comfortable and elegant doing it.

I'd love to see him take this sort of step up at First Class level now.

His innings last night sold me on him. His ability to score quickly without taking risks just by playing nice cricket shots was really impressive. Scored at a run a ball and stabilised the innings, and looked comfortable and elegant doing it.

I'd love to see him take this sort of step up at First Class level now.

Was impressive. Took a game Kiwis had in complete control back towards our direction and gave our bowlers something to work with.
Stroke making was really impressive on a wicket a lot of batsmen struggled. Best innings I seen from him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before he came into International Cricket I thought his keeping would be up to the level and his batting wouldn't. Starting to think I was wrong on both. Have been really disappointed with his keeping, don't think I've actually seen him drop a catch wearing a Redbacks or a Strikers shirt yet he's missed many chances already for Australia.

On the other hand, his ability to keep his cool under pressure and build an innings has been really impressive.

His keeping has been sloppy this WC, but with the bat he's been like early-career Mike Hussey.

He seems untroubled even when the other batsmen are struggling to get the ball off the square, and he can penetrate the field seemingly at will.

now let's leave him @ 7 and not be tempted to move him up the order.

he's been tried as an opener in warner's absence and as a number 5 with average results.

Before he came into International Cricket I thought his keeping would be up to the level and his batting wouldn't. Starting to think I was wrong on both. Have been really disappointed with his keeping, don't think I've actually seen him drop a catch wearing a Redbacks or a Strikers shirt yet he's missed many chances already for Australia.

On the other hand, his ability to keep his cool under pressure and build an innings has been really impressive.

It feels like your initial assessment of him was the general consensus though coming in. People saw him as an elite gloveman with questionable batting, but I think he's moreso an averagely competent gloveman with potential to be a great bat.

Im still amazed that he was known as a good keeper at lower levels, it's not like its just a few missed chances and he otherwise looks good he just has very hard hands and makes a fair few mistakes that aren't chances.

Hopefully it's not being in this aussie system wih haddin teaching him that is leading to a drop in his keeping skills but im struggling to think what else it could be?

Im still amazed that he was known as a good keeper at lower levels, it's not like its just a few missed chances and he otherwise looks good he just has very hard hands and makes a fair few mistakes that aren't chances.

Hopefully it's not being in this aussie system wih haddin teaching him that is leading to a drop in his keeping skills but im struggling to think what else it could be?

Lord I hope not. Hard hands are such a sin at international level. It could just be the pressure if he's not known for that at domestic level, he's not really used to keeping to any of these bowlers other than Kane Richardson.

When he broke the record for most Shield dismissals in a season there wasn't a single missed chance recorded for the whole season. Pretty amazing stuff. A far cry from what he's dished up in the World Cup.

I'm hoping it's just a temporary form blip but he's got in poor positions standing back a couple of times which is worrying. Not ready to react to a deviation.

Haddin as wicketkeeper coach is a joke, right? He was a terrible keeper.
Not the biggest fan of Haddin but not sure he was quite a 'terrible' keeper either. Average and inconsistent is more the terms I'd use.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back