Alex Carey

Remove this Banner Ad

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
Agreed The Passenger that one must also consider how many the alternative would have taken/dropped. I was thinking that too much emphasis of late is put on the batting abilities of 'keepers.

Carey has been good enough so far.
This is a good read on the topic.

holybishop

Premiership Player
Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
GC Suns, Western Warriors/Scorchers
Nevill looked like he had all the pieces to be a good test keeper-batsmen but completely botched his time in the baggy green and will look back on that with a lot of regret I feel.
They dropped Nevill for Wade because he wasn't chirpy behind the stump. It was a pathetic excuse.

They dropped Nevill because he was absolutely hopeless with the bat at test level
He averaged 22 from 19 matches with 3 half centuries.

Rod Marsh averaged 26 and Ian Healy 27.
Nevil has a better first class record than both those guys, so he had scope for improvement at the level.

He definitely suffered from the expectation of keepers being expected to score more runs in the modern era.

He averaged 22 from 19 matches with 3 half centuries.

Rod Marsh averaged 26 and Ian Healy 27.
Nevil has a better first class record than both those guys, so he had scope for improvement at the level.

He definitely suffered from the expectation of keepers being expected to score more runs in the modern era.

Spot on. FWIW I think Healy was a competent keeper but not at the level he and his media mates claim. Wally Grout was my favourite keeper by a long chalk. At Shield level Slug Jordan was just terrific and almost error free.

Jim Prideaux

Premiership Player
Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
ColoradoAvalancheLiverpoolFCGrenobl
I think Carey is struggling a bit mentally due to his issues with the bat, which is now affecting his keeping. I was perplexed as to why Cummins sent him out to bat in our second innings - we didn’t need the runs, we were running out of time, and Carey’s confidence is down.

Hopefully the runs start flowing for him, I reckon if they do his keeping will improve.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
They dropped Nevill for Wade because he wasn't chirpy behind the stump. It was a pathetic excuse.
I rate Nevill and had a little bit to do with him about ten years ago just after he moved to Sydney so was super pumped for him when he got a shot.

But he blew it big time. He didn't keep particularly well either and we all know the struggles he had with the bat.

It's a shame. He's a much better cricketer with both bat and gloves than he showed the world. Unfortunately it happens. He's not the first and won't be the last.

Ducky Tie

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 15, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
I think Carey is struggling a bit mentally due to his issues with the bat, which is now affecting his keeping. I was perplexed as to why Cummins sent him out to bat in our second innings - we didn’t need the runs, we were running out of time, and Carey’s confidence is down.

Hopefully the runs start flowing for him, I reckon if they do his keeping will improve.
Yeah I think this definitely has some truth to it. He is a player whose primary strength is his batting. Without that side of his game functioning well, there probably is a bit of a flow on effect to his keeping.

The element that concerns me is that his batting is quite prone to periods like this. FC average of 33. Average of 21 in the Shield this season prior to his Ashes selection. While he is a pretty good batman, and has had some good seasons recently in the Shield, he is not some kind of dominant FC batsman who will cover for his keeping deficiencies with great batting.

Jan 6, 2004
jfgjgfj

They dropped him so they could continue to carry marsh at 6, you cant carry a keeper who struggles with the bat at 7 when you have the worst number 6 in test history at 6.

We got away with it for a little while as voges at 5 was batting like bradman but marsh/nevill was a s**t show with the bat.

I hope Carey sorts his issues out sooner, rather than later. Dropping a struggling Hameed is a far cry from dropping Babar Azam in Pakistan - we'll need to take every chance that comes our way over there, because missed chances could be VERY costly.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers

Possibly, the other possibility is he is an average keeper and we are seeing that exposed at this level.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Around the Wicket

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
People got too carried away when he caught 8 of the easiest catches in the First Test, If you look at a catch in the first Test, hard catch to Warners left which Warner caught it highlighted it was going to be an issue for Carey diving, I said it at the time and people continued to praise Carey for catching a bunch of sitters which lets face it any keeper would be expected to catch, since that catch he left for Warner in the First Test 2 have gone between himself and Warner and his dropped 3, I would confidently say his 0/6 when the catches are tough, he can catch a sitter thats about it.

As for his batting, I honestly thought he'd be a bit better, lets face it no keeper is going to come in like Gilly and average 55 after 60 Tests but Carey had a same easing into the Test team as he has been a regular in the short form stuff for a few years so he should have been use to the stage.

We have too go for another keeper before Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India.. If no one is ready? Let Paine return and give him a home fair well next summer which gives the selectors 12 months to pick the right replacement.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
It actually was one of the reasons they come out with and Carey is the same.
If he was performing well they wouldn’t have given a s**t, the problem was that his keeping was overrated. Tidy but really not to the level some liked to state and his batting was seriously average.

At the end of the day he was dropped because he was not very good.

If he was performing well they wouldn’t have given a sh*t, the problem was that his keeping was overrated. Tidy but really not to the level some liked to state and his batting was seriously average.

At the end of the day he was dropped because he was not very good.

We picked Carey off shocking Shield form what did we honestly expect.

The most dumb thing was carrying Inglis for a WC, we could have just carried Phillipe

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
People got too carried away when he caught 8 of the easiest catches in the First Test, If you look at a catch in the first Test, hard catch to Warners left which Warner caught it highlighted it was going to be an issue for Carey diving, I said it at the time and people continued to praise Carey for catching a bunch of sitters which lets face it any keeper would be expected to catch, since that catch he left for Warner in the First Test 2 have gone between himself and Warner and his dropped 3, I would confidently say his 0/6 when the catches are tough, he can catch a sitter thats about it.

As for his batting, I honestly thought he'd be a bit better, lets face it no keeper is going to come in like Gilly and average 55 after 60 Tests but Carey had a same easing into the Test team as he has been a regular in the short form stuff for a few years so he should have been use to the stage.

We have too go for another keeper before Pakistan, Sri Lanka and India.. If no one is ready? Let Paine return and give him a home fair well next summer which gives the selectors 12 months to pick the right replacement.
As Paines biggest fan I think he is done, would be shocked to see him ever play again.

They will stick with Carey, I wasn’t a big fan leading in to the summer but as soon as he was picked he was always going to be given more than just the summer. He has been underwhelming and just about what I expected, but h me hasn’t been a downright disaster either.

Some of the South Australians that were claiming his keeping was quality because of Big Bash though… 😂

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
We picked Carey off shocking Shield form what did we honestly expect.

The most dumb thing was carrying Inglis for a WC, we could have just carried Phillipe
We love carrying players that are no chance to play, robbing them of playing time and then Saying they haven’t played enough.

Sweppo needs to be playing cricket desperately, not being a water boy for 12 months. Maxwell copped it as well, they screwed him around massively.

Around the Wicket

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
"Nevill was sacked from the Test side because his batsmanship and glovework were not strong enough to compensate for the fact that he was an introverted presence on the field. It did not suit an extroverted side. It has caused disquiet. Should a player be replaced because of his personality type? In Australian cricket, fairly or otherwise, the answer is yes when it comes to wicketkeepers. Test glovemen are meant to be yapping and clapping.

Never would Nevill suggest Arjuna Ranatunga could be tempted from his crease by a Mars Bar. Never would Nevill object to Ranatunga receiving a runner for being a fat so-and-so. Never would he have inquired of Ian Botham, how’s the wife and my kids? But it’s not about sledging. Sledging is not mandatory. Body language and verbal involvement is important. The team feeds off it. The team needs it. Any cricketer knows the feeling.

When a side is struggling, an upbeat glovemen can help you fake it until you make it. Look what happened in Adelaide. But while Wade did not shut up at Adelaide, he has a niggling problem. The clout is missing. When Nevill was unable in 13 Tests to post big numbers with the bat, Australia went for the keeper with the bigger mouth. Wade gave the Australians their bark but something still sat uneasily about his promotion and posturing. The lack of clout."

We love carrying players that are no chance to play, robbing them of playing time and then Saying they haven’t played enough.

Sweppo needs to be playing cricket desperately, not being a water boy for 12 months. Maxwell copped it as well, they screwed him around massively.

Problem is with Swepson there are no long form cricket for him to play and it's a waste of time him playing Big Bash. I worry massively for Carey on the sub continent

Around the Wicket

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2021
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Problem is with Swepson there are no long form cricket for him to play and it's a waste of time him playing Big Bash. I worry massively for Carey on the sub continent

Better off playing Big Bash then zero competitive cricket, his wasted over 12 months of his career in what is probably his prime being a water boy/net bowler.

Better off playing Big Bash then zero competitive cricket, his wasted over 12 months of his career in what is probably his prime being a water boy/net bowler.

Wonder whether in the future they have to consider running second x1 games more through this period it's not the best quality but bowling 20 overs is better than 4.

Aug 9, 2017
Penguin
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Hurricanes, Panthers
"Nevill was sacked from the Test side because his batsmanship and glovework were not strong enough to compensate for the fact that he was an introverted presence on the field. It did not suit an extroverted side. It has caused disquiet. Should a player be replaced because of his personality type? In Australian cricket, fairly or otherwise, the answer is yes when it comes to wicketkeepers. Test glovemen are meant to be yapping and clapping.

Never would Nevill suggest Arjuna Ranatunga could be tempted from his crease by a Mars Bar. Never would Nevill object to Ranatunga receiving a runner for being a fat so-and-so. Never would he have inquired of Ian Botham, how’s the wife and my kids? But it’s not about sledging. Sledging is not mandatory. Body language and verbal involvement is important. The team feeds off it. The team needs it. Any cricketer knows the feeling.

When a side is struggling, an upbeat glovemen can help you fake it until you make it. Look what happened in Adelaide. But while Wade did not shut up at Adelaide, he has a niggling problem. The clout is missing. When Nevill was unable in 13 Tests to post big numbers with the bat, Australia went for the keeper with the bigger mouth. Wade gave the Australians their bark but something still sat uneasily about his promotion and posturing. The lack of clout."

My point is his glove work was seriously average and batting was worse. That is why he was dropped, if he offered more with either he would have still been in the team going forward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back