Alex Carey

Remove this Banner Ad

Problem is with Swepson there are no long form cricket for him to play and it's a waste of time him playing Big Bash. I worry massively for Carey on the sub continent

We are all agree on that one,no shield cricket now for 6/7 weeks now.Of cause covid does not help either as we have to have 4 or 5 extra players with the squad on stand bye.Swepson and a few others would be better off playing red ball club cricket instead of this T20 crap.

Last edited:
Possibly, the other possibility is he is an average keeper and we are seeing that exposed at this level.
Confidence is a huge thing, especially in a player still finding his feet. Now, there’s a chance that he continues to struggle in a Neville esque manner, ends up on the scrap heap as a result around this time next year. I don’t think he will, I think he’ll get the proverbial primate of his back batting wise, and the keeping will improve also.

As far as keeping options go, he’s as good as we’ve got, so hopefully he flourishes.

Confidence is a huge thing, especially in a player still finding his feet. Now, there’s a chance that he continues to struggle in a Neville esque manner, ends up on the scrap heap as a result around this time next year. I don’t think he will, I think he’ll get the proverbial primate of his back batting wise, and the keeping will improve also.

As far as keeping options go, he’s as good as we’ve got, so hopefully he flourishes.
Totally agree in hoping he improves and locks down the spot long term, I have the same doubts I had coming in to the summer though. His keeping in shield cricket has always left a bit to be desired, expecting that to drastically improve at test level is unlikely.

I also have doubts over his batting, think he can be solid and he will probably have some good knocks. Don’t see him being a good consistent contributor with the bat though.

I see him being a slightly better Wade maybe? The bit I disagree with is him being as good as we’ve got, I think Inglis is the best glovemen available.

Totally agree in hoping he improves and locks down the spot long term, I have the same doubts I had coming in to the summer though. His keeping in shield cricket has always left a bit to be desired, expecting that to drastically improve at test level is unlikely.

I also have doubts over his batting, think he can be solid and he will probably have some good knocks. Don’t see him being a good consistent contributor with the bat though.

I see him being a slightly better Wade maybe? The bit I disagree with is him being as good as we’ve got, I think Inglis is the best glovemen available.
I don’t mind his keeping from what I’ve seen at shield level (admittedly not stacks), he’s not the greatest I’ve seen or anything, but solid enough. His batting is decent enough, he’s just out of form.

If he can put it all together I think he’ll be a fair bit better than Wade in the keeping department, and a similar level in the batting. Sort of WadeRewards+.

On a side note, Wade wasn’t nearly as bad as some of carry on here suggests. Not saying he was great.

He averaged 22 from 19 matches with 3 half centuries.

Rod Marsh averaged 26 and Ian Healy 27.
Nevil has a better first class record than both those guys, so he had scope for improvement at the level.

He definitely suffered from the expectation of keepers being expected to score more runs in the modern era.

our best keeper batsmen:

averages: 48 gilchrist, 33 haddin, 33 paine, 32 phillips, 30 wade, 27 healy, 27 marsh then the rest.

100's : 17 gilchrist .......... 4 healy, 4 haddin, 4 wade (2 as a batsman), 3 marsh, 2 phillips (1 as a batsman), 0 paine.

interestingly enough haddin, paine and wade all came after the gilchrist era and expectations are way too high, from a batting perspective.

let's get our best gloveman in the hotseat and i'll happily take a batting ave of 30.

interestingly enough haddin, paine and wade all came after the gilchrist era and expectations are way too high, from a batting perspective.
Timing sucked for Haddin. He got into the test team right at the tail of his peak so he spent far more of his time in the test team during his declining years than his peak years. And probably played 1 or 2 years longer than he otherwise would have to make up for the fact he was 31 when he made his test debut.

Obviously they are never dropping Gilchrist and that is fair enough, but if Haddin had a career that went from ages 27 to 34, rather than 31 to 38, he would have had a high 30's to low 40's average. This is largely backed up as well because his average was in the low 40's to the halfway point of his career when he was 33. After this age - aside from a brief renaissance in the 13/14 Ashes - he struggled with the bat in hand.

His keeping wasn't as good as Gilchrist and definitely not as good as Paine pre broken finger.

Gilchrist's late start to his test career (28yo) probably cost him a 50+ average in the end as well. I doubt he would have retired earlier because he was still in peak form right up until we departed for Ashes in 2005 and then he retired after the fairly standard 2-3 subpar years most legends have at the end (Think Kallis, Ponting, Tendulkar amongst many others). But he missed a couple of years in his mid to late 20's where he was an absolute dynamo with the bat that would have pushed his average even higher.

Hard to know at the time though - it's all hindsight.

let's get our best gloveman in the hotseat and i'll happily take a batting ave of 30.
Honestly do think Carey is our second best keeper behind Paine. Maybe Harper, but like I said I haven't seen enough of him. Inglis has scope for improvement and I think eventually will be a better keeper than Carey.

Honestly do think Carey is our second best keeper behind Paine. Maybe Harper, but like I said I haven't seen enough of him. Inglis has scope for improvement and I think eventually will be a better keeper than Carey.
I don't think Harper's anything special with the gloves, not sure if others have seen something I haven't. I see a battle between Carey and Inglis for the foreseeable future.

hard to see paine playing test cricket again, given his age etc.

the jury is out for me on carey - i'm not sure on who's the man for the job, although i'm happy to give him a little more time.

we may well be in the marsh-healy transition where it took 4 years to settle with phillips, wooley, rixon, dyer and zoehrer all tried.

the healy-gilchrist era only saw emery get 1 test and we were lucky in that period to be gifted with some greats and understudy's such as berry, seccombe, hartley would've had a test cap in any other era.

Harry Neilsen is the best keeper in the country. His batting is s**t which puts him a few rungs down the pecking order.

hard to see paine playing test cricket again, given his age etc.

the jury is out for me on carey - i'm not sure on who's the man for the job, although i'm happy to give him a little more time.

we may well be in the marsh-healy transition where it took 4 years to settle with phillips, wooley, rixon, dyer and zoehrer all tried.

the healy-gilchrist era only saw emery get 1 test and we were lucky in that period to be gifted with some greats and understudy's such as berry, seccombe, hartley would've had a test cap in any other era.
Hartley should've have played over Wade.

Considering Alex has averaged ~15 at test level, in a series at home against terrible opposition, I personally find it hard to see the kind of form reversal needed to save his career coming in more hostile conditions.

On current evidence I doubt he makes it out of the next series we lose with his spot intact.

Considering Alex has averaged ~15 at test level, in a series at home against terrible opposition, I personally find it hard to see the kind of form reversal needed to save his career coming in more hostile conditions.

On current evidence I doubt he makes it out of the next series we lose with his spot intact.
Thats not even touching on his #1 job in the team. Keeping wicket

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thats not even touching on his #1 job in the team. Keeping wicket

There are plenty of wicketkeeping options in the country. In a post-Gilchrist world they are ultimately separated by how they perform with the bat. Besides, I doubt keeping prowess matters if you average less than Jason Gillespie.

Carey is crap I said that mid first Test when you lot were ass licking him but you can't really judge him on his batting when 5 Tests minus Sydney which was pretty flat have been bowler friendly pitches and most of Australia's Top 6 have struggled at times.

Labuschagne - 41.66
Green - 34.16
Warner - 34.12
Smith - 33.42
Harris 29.83

Not many teams would win a series 4-0 with those sort of numbers. Head has been the only stand out averaging 70. Khawaja scored two hundreds but if he played all 5 Tests he'd averaging 30 as well imo.

Carey is crap I said that mid first Test when you lot were ass licking him but you can't really judge him on his batting when 5 Tests minus Sydney which was pretty flat have been bowler friendly pitches and most of Australia's Top 6 have struggled at times.

Labuschagne - 41.66
Green - 34.16
Warner - 34.12
Smith - 33.42
Harris 29.83

Not many teams would win a series 4-0 with those sort of numbers. Head has been the only stand out averaging 70. Khawaja scored two hundreds but if he played all 5 Tests he'd averaging 30 as well imo.

Doesn’t tell the full story.

The pitches have been infinitely more fair than most Australian summers hence the lower averages more akin to an English away tour.

Labuschagne - 41.66
Green - 34.16
Warner - 34.12
Smith - 33.42
Harris 29.83

Wickets have assisted the bowlers. You need put that context

There are plenty of wicketkeeping options in the country. In a post-Gilchrist world they are ultimately separated by how they perform with the bat. Besides, I doubt keeping prowess matters if you average less than Jason Gillespie.

No, because wade would still be in the side. Look at Paine. Expectation of Gilchrist level bat (who was also the best test keeper in world for much of his career) is probably too much

I think Carey is struggling a bit mentally due to his issues with the bat, which is now affecting his keeping. I was perplexed as to why Cummins sent him out to bat in our second innings - we didn’t need the runs, we were running out of time, and Carey’s confidence is down.

Hopefully the runs start flowing for him, I reckon if they do his keeping will improve.
I was only a grade cricketer, but always found that if I made runs down the order, I would always take a bag with the new ball.

He's unfortunate to finally get picked when he's been out of form for the first time in years

It’s been a series dominated by the ball

Remove this Banner Ad

Back