Oppo Camp Alex Fasolo

Remove this Banner Ad

But the clock is close to midnight for him and you cant bring in a bloke who hasnt yet ticked all boxes against quality opponents.
If we have an injury to say Jordy or WHE, that's when he'll get his chance.
He's a good mark and great kick when on his game.
I hope he stays fit, even if it's only a "break glass" scenario.

I would suggest he's very likely gone - if there's another contract on the table.
I don't see us offering much (either $ or gametime) given that he has barely been able to push himself into the 22 this year, and the younger guys coming through have generally looked good.
You'd guess that either Freo or West Coast (probably the former - they could probably do with some mid-20's "vets" to ease the rebuild) would take a good look at him, and I hope he gets (and takes) a chance in 2019.

May well be happy with something circa $300-350k which for a player of his experience and quality is relatively cheap. I doubt he'd get much more elsewhere. I think it'll be the tenure that'll determine if he stays or goes. Something like 2 years might do be enough for him to stay. This year a write off with injuries but at just 26 with a full preseason, he may well be able to recapture a senior team spot.

Jaidyn Stephenson is about the only 'inexperienced' player who could make way for Fasolo in the forward line, and he's already kicked more goals in his debut season (32) than Fas ever has. The next least experienced forward for us is JDG, currently on 36 goals, who isn't really inexperienced and who has also exceeded Fasolo's greatest season (29) in considerably fewer games.

The other forwards standing in Fasolo's way have also both bettered his greatest tally by a comfortable margin: WHE (39 goals) and Josh Thomas (34 goals). Given that our forward line is functioning better now than it has for quite a while, and given Fasolo's modest career output, I'm not sure how he can be considered among the 'big guns'. I'd be happy if he gets a temporary call-up to give another player a rest, but it is a fiction to suggest we're crying out for him.

How do those goal tallies stack up if you look at goals per game averages?

How do those goal tallies stack up if you look at goals per game averages?

Pretty well. Fasolos career average is 1.3 (equating to 27 goals after 21 rounds) His best 2016 is 2.1 (44) .

So there are five players in our 22 who in season 2018 are ahead of his career average, and only just behind his best season when he only managed 12 games....barely a sample set having missed 10 games through injury.

I think a player that has nearly 60 shots at goal in a crap team in an afl season (2017) is above ave as a medium sized forward.

We might have made finals if he wasnt so inaccurate. We never recovered from those early season losses where coincidentally he had the yips.

I agree though, hes best 22 in our 2017 team. That was then, this is now.

He was unlucky this season to get injured in his return senior game. Same as Broomhead. Just s**t luck. But times change and sometimes they change very quickly.

Fas in 2017: 1.5 av

2018:
- JDG = 2.2 av
- WHE = 1.9 av
- Thomas = 1.6 av
- Stephenson = 1.5 av

Faz in 2017 had the worst case of yips though, most inaccurate conversion rate of his career (from memory). Was it the year before he averaged better than 2 goals a game? That average has him very much in the discussion.

Historically, I don’t think Collingwood renew the contracts of experienced players who are fit and can’t get a game.

And therein is the issue. Preseason shoulder surgery and mid season ankle injury have significantly impacted that.

Fasolo produced his numbers playing for a bottom eight side who had well documented problems with forward transition.

We have no idea how he might have fared under the vastly improved circumstances of this season.

Thank you for saving me a post.

Exactly. Unknown quantity. Above posters not comparing apples with apples.

We do have a better structure this season, and we do move the ball forward with more speed than we have a previous years, and so it has to be conceded that Fas might have benefited from these developments.

I also think it should be acknowledged that Fas might not have benefited from the way we now play. He's a thoroughly decent lead-up forward, but the way we've moved the ball this year has not necessarily been to the advantage of that style of play. The goals of Stephenson, WHE, Thomas and JDG have often come from beating their opponent back into space on transition, and an even bigger proportion of them come from pressure acts in the forward 50. Neither of these are Fasolo's bread and butter.

Fas would hardly flounder in our forward line, but it's far from a given that he'd prosper, while the defensive deficiencies of his game would continue to work against him.

This is also true, but we never got the opportunity to make an accurate judgement on this.

Faz in 2017 had the worst case of yips though, most inaccurate conversion rate of his career (from memory). Was it the year before he averaged better than 2 goals a game? That average has him very much in the discussion.

I don't have access to his numbers at the minute, but I recall that he was uncharacteristically inaccurate.

I don't have access to his numbers at the minute, but I recall that he was uncharacteristically inaccurate.

Made me check now. Kicked 29:29 in 17, 25:6 in 16, 27:17 in 15. Had similarly inaccurate years in 2013 (1:2) & 14 (7:9). Across his career he's managed 1.5:1. If he'd hit his average in 2017 that'd equate to something like 35:23 (from 19 games, last 1 off before 1/2 time) at an average of 1.85 per game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Made me check now. Kicked 29:29 in 17, 25:6 in 16, 27:17 in 15. Had similarly inaccurate years in 2013 (1:2) & 14 (7:9). Across his career he's managed 1.5:1. If he'd hit his average in 2017 that'd equate to something like 35:23 (from 19 games, last 1 off before 1/2 time) at an average of 1.85 per game.

A more accurate assessment about his inaccuracy would need to go a bit deeper, I suppose. I know that he missed more than a few 'gettable' shots throughout the season, but maybe he led out too wide on too many occasions?

You suggest that he's 'in the discussion', and that makes me wonder about the nature of the discussion we're having. I think he'd be a serviceable replacement for any injured or rested players, if that's what's being talked about. I'd also like to have him on our list next year for a similar reason. And maybe things will change next season, because they usually do. Elliott will hopefully have an impact next year, and he (not Lynch, who I think will be at Richmond) might prompt a re-shuffle of the forward set-up, but I can definitely see that Fasolo could play some part in a side where JDG spends more time in the middle and/or Stephenson plays a bit higher up the ground.

On the other hand, does he demand a spot this season alongside Josh Thomas, Stephenson, WHE, and JDG, or does he even fit within that forward line? He certainly doesn't demand a spot, and I'm on the fence as to whether he is a good fit. He barely played a quarter this year, so it makes it really hard to tell...although the fact that the match committee selected him alongside JT, JDG, WHE and JS suggests that they were optimistic about the prospect. Right now, though, I'm not sure whose spot he could take.

On the other hand, does he demand a spot this season alongside Josh Thomas, Stephenson, WHE, and JDG, or does he even fit within that forward line? He certainly doesn't demand a spot, and I'm on the fence as to whether he is a good fit. He barely played a quarter this year, so it makes it really hard to tell...although the fact that the match committee selected him alongside JT, JDG, WHE and JS suggests that they were optimistic about the prospect. Right now, though, I'm not sure whose spot he could take.

And next season you'll need to make room for Elliott too.

I'd be looking at keeping Fas if we don't get Lynch. Play him out of the square.

He's an true forward 50 player.
In fact he's not too dissimilar to how JDG plays inside 50.
He doesn't have the JDG midfield ability but he would be extremely dangerous if he was playing out of the square.

He's an true forward 50 player.
In fact he's not too dissimilar to how JDG plays inside 50.
He doesn't have the JDG midfield ability but he would be extremely dangerous if he was playing out of the square.
I'd actually like to see him come in this week TBH...Anyone see his 5 goals in VFL?

Historically, I don’t think Collingwood renew the contracts of experienced players who are fit and can’t get a game.

Blairs in trouble. I wonder if he stays with the VFL side next year if he isn't extended.

Blairs in trouble. I wonder if he stays with the VFL side next year if he isn't extended.

I feel like out of all our veteran AFL players, he strikes me as one of the ones who doesn't mind playing VFL. He said something similar when he played his 50th a week or so ago. While he would prefer to be in the senior team, but playing VFL isn't anything to be ashamed of, he said.

I feel like out of all our veteran AFL players, he strikes me as one of the ones who doesn't mind playing VFL. He said something similar when he played his 50th a week or so ago. While he would prefer to be in the senior team, but playing VFL isn't anything to be ashamed of, he said.

Blair's a good team man and has gotten the best out of himself. He'd be good to keep around but I reckon his senior footy is up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back