To Know Nothing is the Happiest Life
10k Posts
Aug 1, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
NMFC
Alex Hawke is the new member for Mitchell, "God Help Us" :D

Timing is everything - God Bothering fascists are on the way out in the Federal Liberal Party - poor bugger I am sure he dreamed of being DUCE one day

Sep 9, 2004
Where No Birds Fly
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide/Sturt/Wingfield
Timing is everything - God Bothering fascists are on the way out in the Federal Liberal Party - poor bugger I am sure he dreamed of being DUCE one day

Timing is everything

3 years to shore up support in his seat while basically keeping a low profile, while in the background getting numbers etc.

After 10 years he should rise in opposition as the old guard retire. Depending if the Libs are back he may have the numbers to snag a junior ministry at 42. Then with some good work he can take a senior ministry and aim for a takeover at 50

Depends if he has the rat cunning to keep his core hidden...Im not sure he has

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Alex Hawke will be a thorn in the side of the liberal party for the next 20 years, he is a dangerous extremist, and with a seat like that he can afford to do **** all cept build numbers, campaigning would even probably damage his margin.. the less his electorate know about him the better really.

Steven Jones

Senior List
May 7, 2007
Dallas
AFL Club
Essendon
Alex Hawke will be a thorn in the side of the liberal party for the next 20 years, he is a dangerous extremist, and with a seat like that he can afford to do **** all cept build numbers, campaigning would even probably damage his margin.. the less his electorate know about him the better really.

Hawke lacks abit of polish, but with time I think he will mature into a very good politician for Australia.

People like to call Hawke an extremist, but I think thats a bit rich when you compare him to the likes of Garret, Gillard, Wong, Brown on the left wing spectrum of parliament.

Why dont we give Hawke a chance (at least wait until he delivers his maiden speech) before we crucify him.

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hawke lacks abit of polish, but with time I think he will mature into a very good politician for Australia.

People like to call Hawke an extremist, but I think thats a bit rich when you compare him to the likes of Garret, Gillard, Wong, Brown on the left wing spectrum of parliament.

Why dont we give Hawke a chance (at least wait until he delivers his maiden speech) before we crucify him.

No, Belaknor is right, Hawke will only undermine the Liberal party's message even more. The liberals were right to gag him, every word that comes from his mouth is diatribe.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
The journo who did that piece on how extreme the Young Libs have gotten has done an inadvertent lot of good, Hawke has to have one of the most highly negative public perceptions of a newly elected MP since Hanson.

If he continues to spout his David Clarke rubbish he'll be cut down to size due to his media profile. Certainly won't get anything senior unless he moderates his views, especially if Turnbull becomes opposition leader.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
It was the NSW right (David Clarke and Alex Hawke's faction) that helped Turnbull to roll Peter King and take the seat of Wentworth in the first place. They helped to put Turbull in parliament for ffs.

Your suggestion that Turnbull and Hawke will be at loggerheads is totally misguided in my opinion.

Yup. Turnbull has a big debt to the Right, and it will get even bigger if he gets the leader position, because he won't do it without the Right at least helping him.

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
It was the NSW right (David Clarke and Alex Hawke's faction) that helped Turnbull to roll Peter King and take the seat of Wentworth in the first place. They helped to put Turbull in parliament for ffs.

Your suggestion that Turnbull and Hawke will be at loggerheads is totally misguided in my opinion.

Turnbull will be looking to take the party back to it's moderate, liberal roots. This means removing the influence of the right wing god bothers who in the last three years;

-Have lost an election to what is arguably the most incompetent state government in the country.
-Overseen a federal campaign which lurched from stuff up to stuff up, and lost the Prime Ministers seat.

Hawke is the embodiment of all that is wrong with the Liberal Party at the moment. Whilst part of me would derive a lot of amusement from seeing bewildered Opus Dei types wondering why the Australian public finds their extremist views abhorrent, I do believe that a strong opposition promotes good government.

Richo83

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Me too. I can handle neo-liberals who want to reduce worker regulations, what I can't handle is gob botherers who want to reduce social rights. At least the neo-liberals have some sense to their principles.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Turnbull will be looking to take the party back to it's moderate, liberal roots. This means removing the influence of the right wing god bothers who in the last three years;

-Have lost an election to what is arguably the most incompetent state government in the country.
-Overseen a federal campaign which lurched from stuff up to stuff up, and lost the Prime Ministers seat.

I think you are giving the Right a little bit too much credit. They do have alot of numbers in NSW, but the campaign was a total **** up from day one because many of the senior ministers were "calling the shots" and were basically making the wrong calls, even after senior liberals from the backbench went to them and said "this isn't working".

It really is a toss up between the WA and NSW for the worst labor government in the country, if the Liberals can't win the next WA election they will be in serious trouble across the board.

bunsen burner

Hall of Famer
Veteran 30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 12, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

No dude, he's an extremist. Wants to ban abortion and all but wants the dole banished.

It's alarming that politicians can actually these these ideas are workable.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Me too. I can handle neo-liberals who want to reduce worker regulations, what I can't handle is gob botherers who want to reduce social rights. At least the neo-liberals have some sense to their principles.

Dont be thinking that they all belong in the Liberal party, thats only a recent (and hopefully temporary thing). The ALP has long had their share of staunch Catholics who follow a Pell like line.

Whats Rudds position on gay marriage?

Sep 30, 2003
Bunvegas
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
WA, Australia
I think you are giving the Right a little bit too much credit. They do have alot of numbers in NSW, but the campaign was a total **** up from day one because many of the senior ministers were "calling the shots" and were basically making the wrong calls, even after senior liberals from the backbench went to them and said "this isn't working".

Whilst the senior party figures certainly deserve their share of the blame, it's impossible to deny that the worst stuff-ups of the liberal campaign came from NSW. The leak of Turnbulls opinions on Kyoto, Abbott's numerous stuff ups, the Islamic pamphlet business and Nairn's staffer comparing Kelly to a concentration camp guard just off the top of my head.

It really is a toss up between the WA and NSW for the worst labor government in the country, if the Liberals can't win the next WA election they will be in serious trouble across the board.

Without a highly visible leader based in the metro area the Libs are stuffed over here. Omodei can't win. Buswell could possibly win, but will struggle and might be under threat from the Seachangers moving to Busselton and Dunsborough. Birney and Barnett could have done it, but have been killed off by internal politics. That's not to say I think Carpenter has done a good job, just that I think the libs aren't good enough.

blackcat

Irving's godfather and handle
Dec 29, 2003
Beverly Hills 90210 Antifa bracket
AFL Club
Richmond
CM, what is the chance that the guy alters his suit like Nelson tho.

If his primary motivation, is to rule, he will not hold to any values steadfastly. They just ROTE Rpublican Christian right politics 101.

Now, the electorate has spoken, expect a similar move in the next decade or so from Hawke.

Back