Alex Jesaulenko diagnosed with Parkinson’s Disease

Footy legend Alex Jesaulenko has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease.

The illness is a neurodegenerative disorder that affects the body’s central nervous system and causes symptoms such as tremors, which worsen over the years.

The former Carlton and St Kilda star’s daughter Kate told the Herald Sun: “The family is relieved to have the diagnosis so that we can help Dad in his fight against this disease.”

Jesaulenko holds a place in AFL folklore for the famous mark he took playing for the Blues during the 1970 grand final against Collingwood.

He leapt above Graeme Jenkin and sparked the immortal line from commentator Mike Williamson, who said: “Jesaulenko, you beauty!”

In 2020, Jesaulenko’s daughter Kate hit out at Port Adelaide legend turned radio broadcaster and pundit Kane Cornes, who suggested that famous 1970 grab would not be in the top 50 marks of all time.

Speaking on SEN, Kate responded by saying: “I am absolutely furious that Kane Cornes would come out and say Dad’s mark was overrated.

“I find it disgusting, disgraceful, I cannot believe that I don’t even know who he is would come out and make such a comment not only on an iconic footballer but an iconic father, an iconic husband.

“I am beside myself, I just cannot believe it.

“I think he’s completely incorrect. I don’t know where this kid, I don’t even know who he is, gets off saying that a legend of the game with such an iconic moment is overrated.

“Jesaulenko you beauty is one of the biggest, iconic moments in Australian football rules, Victorian football rules, whatever you want to call it.

“For him to come out and try to degrade it … I don’t know if he’s looking for a contract, I don’t know if his contract is about to run up, I don’t know if he’s trying to cause controversy, but I don’t know who Kane Cornes is, who Kane Cornes thinks he is bagging my father and saying that he is overrated.

“It is disgraceful, it’s disgusting, he’s bagging a legend of the game and I am absolutely disgusted.”

Days later Kate and Cornes engaged in an icy live radio interview where they agreed to disagree.

Jesaulenko played 256 games for Carlton during the 1960s and 1970s, booting more than 400 goals. He won four premierships with the Blues before finishing his career with a 23-game stint at Kilda in the early 1980s.

In 2008 Jesaulenko became a legend in the AFL Hall of Fame.

a shame the journalist felt the need to add Kane Cornes to such a personal article about Jezza

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
sh*t news

But of course his Z grade celebrity wanna be daughter made sure she was part of the story

Especially as I doubt Jesaulenko was offended by Cornes comments. There was nothing offensive about the comments either, it was Cornes opinion, and a perfectly valid opinion too. Whether it was right or wrong is of course other peoples opinions. There was nothing personal about the comments about Jesaulenko's mark.

Also I know Alex won't get better from Parkinson's as there is no cure but hopefully with management he can still have a long and happy life.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
s**t news. I’m a full time carer for my father who has it. Was diagnosed several years ago, but had symptoms for several years prior, which weren’t conclusively Parkinson’s, so Alex could have plenty of years left.

Laughable melt of hers re Cornes comments though. She’s “beside herself”!

Imagine how she’d cope if something that was actually bad happened, if she gets that triggered by someone giving an honest opinion about something football related!

Mar 21, 2006
On Deadly Ground
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Seagal, Hull, Hibs
Amazing technique they have to get another scroll out of you.

Pad the Herald Sun story out by cutting and pasting in an old story about a row she had with Kane Cornes.

Masotiger

All Australian
Feb 12, 2020
Pod Mosto Drvo
AFL Club
Richmond
I know if I was a Carlton supporter he would've been my idol. No doubt. Amongst the European pioneers in the then VFL.

Always admired Jezza even though I had/have an immense dislike for his team.

I wish him well for the years ahead. You're a legend Jezza.

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Even though jezzas playing era was before my time, its sad for hom to get the disease.

Its a horrific disease to have late in your Life.

I think Muhammad Ali had Parkinson's disease late in his life too. It was sad to see him go live with it.

Ali was quite young when diagnosed - in his early 40s if I recall correctly. Occupational hazard I guess.

He was only 74 when he died a very sick man - and around 55 when he appeared very frail at the 1996 Olympics.

Jezza must be pushing 80 now, thankfully a few good years on Ali when diagnosed.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne

The illness is a neurodegenerative disorder that affects the body’s central nervous system and causes symptoms such as tremors, which worsen over the years.

The former Carlton and St Kilda star’s daughter Kate told the Herald Sun: “The family is relieved to have the diagnosis so that we can help Dad in his fight against this disease.”

Jesaulenko holds a place in AFL folklore for the famous mark he took playing for the Blues during the 1970 grand final against Collingwood.

He leapt above Graeme Jenkin and sparked the immortal line from commentator Mike Williamson, who said: “Jesaulenko, you beauty!”

In 2020, Jesaulenko’s daughter Kate hit out at Port Adelaide legend turned radio broadcaster and pundit Kane Cornes, who suggested that famous 1970 grab would not be in the top 50 marks of all time.

Speaking on SEN, Kate responded by saying: “I am absolutely furious that Kane Cornes would come out and say Dad’s mark was overrated.

“I find it disgusting, disgraceful, I cannot believe that I don’t even know who he is would come out and make such a comment not only on an iconic footballer but an iconic father, an iconic husband.

“I think he’s completely incorrect. I don’t know where this kid, I don’t even know who he is, gets off saying that a legend of the game with such an iconic moment is overrated.

“Jesaulenko you beauty is one of the biggest, iconic moments in Australian football rules, Victorian football rules, whatever you want to call it.

“For him to come out and try to degrade it … I don’t know if he’s looking for a contract, I don’t know if his contract is about to run up, I don’t know if he’s trying to cause controversy, but I don’t know who Kane Cornes is, who Kane Cornes thinks he is bagging my father and saying that he is overrated.

“It is disgraceful, it’s disgusting, he’s bagging a legend of the game and I am absolutely disgusted.”

Days later Kate and Cornes engaged in an icy live radio interview where they agreed to disagree.

Jesaulenko played 256 games for Carlton during the 1960s and 1970s, booting more than 400 goals. He won four premierships with the Blues before finishing his career with a 23-game stint at Kilda in the early 1980s.

I have a cousin who has it and they are in a terrible state now.
She's in a care home and needs 24/7 care and doesn't know what day of the week it is and can't even speak.
Zero quality of life.

I have a cousin who has it and they are in a terrible state now.
She's in a care home and needs 24/7 care and doesn't know what day of the week it is and can't even speak.
Zero quality of life.
I'm really sorry to hear that friend, that's horrible what she is going through and also knowing how much it must be affecting you, your family & friends around her as well. Doesn't help her situation as such unfortunately but if you are struggling mentally or feeling down about your cousin's state of life and all that, please don't hesitate in letting us know and we all (as a bigfooty forum) can help support you through this difficult time that you are going through cause it is always important we all make sure to look after one another on a physical, mental & emotional note, especially in these current times we live in as well.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
sh*t news

But of course his Z grade celebrity wanna be daughter made sure she was part of the story
They've no doubt contacted her for comment on Jezza's diagnosis, of which she supplied a simple “The family is relieved to have the diagnosis so that we can help Dad in his fight against this disease.”
It's the writers who added in the previously written article from last year to pad out the story.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood

Big mistake giving a crap about anything Kane Cornes says. Just treat him with the ignorance he deserves.

As for Jezza, what a wonderful player who provided such great memories to all football lovers. Here's hoping he can control the disease and find comfort and enjoyment in coming years.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Even though jezzas playing era was before my time, its sad for hom to get the disease.

Its a horrific disease to have late in your Life.

I think Muhammad Ali had Parkinson's disease late in his life too. It was sad to see him go live with it.

Sadly, Muhammad Ali was showing the symptoms of Parkinsons disease while he was still fighting. All the "experts" put it down to something called "punch drunkedness" and ignored the severity of it.

Back