Past Alex Johnson - thank you for all your service, delisted 2018

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-27/more-to-give-former-swan-lays-out-his-plans-for-afl-comeback

'More to give': Former Swan lays out his plans for AFL comeback

"I had the highs of the Collingwood game, which is what I'd dreamt of and put so much work into to get back to playing at AFL level again. To go down against Melbourne and with the way I did it … it was hard to come to terms with in the first few days.

"But I sat down and took a look at it in a different way. I thought it's my good knee, if I can get it right, there's no reason why I can't continue playing footy."

Johnson had been offered the chance to stay in Sydney upon being delisted by the club in September, working with its NEAFL team in the development role he had undertaken on a part-time basis last year, but made the tough decision to return to his native Victoria.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-12-27/more-to-give-former-swan-lays-out-his-plans-for-afl-comeback

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
While you have to wish him well in whatever he wants to do in life, it is hard not to feel that his body is just never going to be up to the rigors of AFL football. It is a shame not to have him around the club still.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
The only person with the true opinion is AJ himself! It’s his dream, not ours. Regardless of what anyone else thinks, isn’t his dream more important?

Generally it is a good thing for people to live out their dreams.

One exception might be when doing so does serious and permanent damage to your body.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
It's your life AJ and you can achieve anything you want if you want it enough.

If everyone worried about the dangers of chasing their dreams then no-one would have climbed Everest, crossed Antartica. sailed solo around the world, walked on the moon or explored the ocean depths.

Good luck

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It's your life AJ and you can achieve anything you want if you want it enough.

If everyone worried about the dangers of chasing their dreams then no-one would have climbed Everest, crossed Antartica. sailed solo around the world, walked on the moon or explored the ocean depths.

Good luck
Plenty of people that set out to climb Everest wanted it enough, but still failed to reach the summit, some dying in the process. Interesting analogy to make ...

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Plenty of people that set out to climb Everest wanted it enough, but still failed to reach the summit, some dying in the process. Interesting analogy to make ...
The analogy is that some will even risk their lives for the sake of their dreams. If we didn't have such dreamers attempting the impossible the world would be so much poorer for it.

One guy recently climbed Everest after losing both feet to frost bite in his first attempt. He didn't quit. That dream kept pushing him for another 40 years. He even climbed it from the more difficult approach just so he could be the first double amputee to do so. I admire him far more than some boring old fart with two perfectly good feet who just sits on his computer grumbling about football.

4 deaths occurred on Everest in 2011 while the same year in the US alone 41 people died from TVs falling on their heads and another 12,000 died from falling down stairs. All life has a 100% chance of ending in death. It's what you do in that life that counts.

If it puts your mind to rest AJ is unlikely to die while attempting to play football again (unless he falls over on the stairs or a TV falls on his head).

In the end it's Alex's life and it's his dream. No-one has any right to piss on it.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
The analogy is that some will even risk their lives for the sake of their dreams. If we didn't have such dreamers attempting the impossible the world would be so much poorer for it.

One guy recently climbed Everest after losing both feet to frost bite in his first attempt. He didn't quit. That dream kept pushing him for another 40 years. He even climbed it from the more difficult approach just so he could be the first double amputee to do so. I admire him far more than some boring old fart with two perfectly good feet who just sits on his computer grumbling about football.

4 deaths occurred on Everest in 2011 while the same year in the US alone 41 people died from TVs falling on their heads and another 12,000 died from falling down stairs. All life has a 100% chance of ending in death. It's what you do in that life that counts.

If it puts your mind to rest AJ is unlikely to die while attempting to play football again (unless he falls over on the stairs or a TV falls on his head).

In the end it's Alex's life and it's his dream. No-one has any right to piss on it.
Im not pissing on anyone's dream, but the trite message of being able to do whatever you want to do if you just want it enough combined with the very real likelihood of NOT getting what you want when you try to scale Everest quite tickled me.

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Im not pissing on anyone's dream, but the trite message of being able to do whatever you want to do if you just want it enough combined with the very real likelihood of NOT getting what you want when you try to scale Everest quite tickled me.
Didn't say you pissed on anything MC. Glad I managed to tickle you. We all need a laugh.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
He still thinks he can play AFL level again. Is 100% committed to getting back.

Hope he does. Hope we roll a rookie draft pick at him.

He’s not far off turning 28. Too old to be a viable choice now. The upside isn’t big enough. Play the level he can and enjoy I say.

Back