Past Alex Johnson - thank you for all your service, delisted 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

That he got back on the field justified us persisting with him over the last few years. He showed that he was up to it. But having done his other knee this is really the only decision the club can make. Can't wish anything but the very best for him with whatever comes next.

Thanks for your service to the club Alex, will always be a premiership swan. Glad he got the magical moment this year when he was able to run out onto the SCG again.

Devestated when he reinjured as I'm sure we all knew that was probably it.

But the overriding feeling I have is pride.

I'm so proud to say this man was one of my boys. He wore the red & white & represented my club as good as you could have ever asked anyone to.

We were lucky to have had him on our list. Through the good & the bad. He represents the never say die attitude I love this club for. I hope he feels the same sense of pride as I have toward him.

Inspirational. Courageous. A true blood.

Love ya AJ! Thanks so much mate.

A sad yet wise decision by the club. There was almost zero chance of him getting back and if he did we would have been lucky to get a few years at most out of him. It's a massive shame. AJ was going to be an absolute gun.

Playing that game against the Pies didn't satisfy him to just be glad he played that game it gave him new goals new energy to play the game he loves.

Sad to see him go but if his dream still is to play at the highest level then it's just another mountain to conquer. He could be a guy who plays VFL and gains attention again to get another rookie punt. A club that takes it down in VIC would be likely to at least then get him for an off field role.

Highlights the difficulties the club has in retaining talent and how hard they have to work to keep good people at the club.

For Alex to decline the off field role would be difficult for the Swans who invested a lot of time into Alex but completely understandable for a guy that still has the drive.

Never say never he may get another Swans chance on field if he can prove his body is up to it and I'm sure he would be welcomed back for off field as well.

Likely to continue his career in Vic but for now thanks to him for being a Swan and an almost best on ground performance in a winning Grand Final historically that is a very small group.

Poor bugger.

Kinda reminds me of the Black Knight from Monty Python’s Holy Grail.

Best of luck to AJ.

:p "Your legs missing"
"No no it's only a flesh wound"
"Come back and I'll bite you on the toe"

He's off for a year rehab. Cant keep a spot for him in that case. Who knows if a rookie spot can be found thereafter. I didnt really think he'd make it back at all. Courageous. Unlikey again now but how could you write him off?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Devestated when he reinjured as I'm sure we all knew that was probably it.

But the overriding feeling I have is pride.

I'm so proud to say this man was one of my boys. He wore the red & white & represented my club as good as you could have ever asked anyone to.

We were lucky to have had him on our list. Through the good & the bad. He represents the never say die attitude I love this club for. I hope he feels the same sense of pride as I have toward him.

Inspirational. Courageous. A true blood.

Love ya AJ! Thanks so much mate.

I share your pride in him, and mailed him a get well card with a note to let him know how proud he makes me to be a Swans fan on the other side of the world. No matter where he makes his comeback, I will be rooting for him, even if he is wearing the feces brown and urine yellow of the Hawks.

I think it the right decision for him and the club. So proud of him and all that he achieved and brought to the club. Wish him all the best in everything he does.

However he's clearly a driven and stubborn individual which though desirable attributes they cut both ways in footy. Another year lost to rehab, another preseason not at full tilt from the get go, another season to build form and fitness to get a game somewhere and show what he's got to get picked up by an AFL club @ 28 going on 29 with ACL history on both knees. It is what it is, the club just couldn't hold a spot any longer, and if i had to be slightly cruel, they could no longer enable him.

Absolute legend of the club and he achieved what thousands of league players dreamed of.

Last edited:
So grateful he got his moment this year, so p155ed for him it lasted just a week.

A decision that needed to be made in the interests of all i guess,

• A Johnson - Premiership Swan.....there are not many in that club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back