List Mgmt. Alex Keath 2018 Role

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure I'd have the balls to make the change, but there's certainly validity to your thoughts. Sydney we're able to expose Lever as 3rd tall as his strength is intercept, not 1 on 1 defending. Both Reid and Tippett are amongst the best contested markers in the game and Franklin is no mug, they're all also 196cm and above. Now you're not putting Lever on Franklin which leaves Lever undersized and outmatched against wither Tippett or Reid. The good thing is most of the ball gets funneled through Franklin anyway, but if Sydney suddenly smarten up and start isolating/targeting the Lever match up, we could be in trouble.

Taking Lever out certainly strengthens our ability to s**t down Sydneys talls, however you lost his intercept and 3rd man up ability, which provides support to Talia and Hartigan/Keath. We also lose some level of offensive drive as Keath, at present, is a long way off Lever(I think he will catch up to an extent though).

Last couple of Game Keath has done pretty well in Offense drive, and metre gained, if he is given the same role as lever I don't believe there would be a big drop, yes there will be a drop just not as big as some expect, on the flip side Lever defending one on one is starting to be exposed which is a worry come final times.
But I cannot see the Crows dropping Lever, unless he is going.

Keath is no replacement for Lever.
Totally different player.
Going in with three tall defenders wont work.
One of Hartigan or Keath wont play most weeks, unless Keath can improve his marking ability and learn to rebound.
How much of Keath have you actually seen? He is a very good mark and a pretty good rebounding player from the backline. Don't confuse the current role he is being asked to play as what he is capable off. He is in there to replace Hartigan at the moment. If you play Hartigan, Talia and Keath together, then Keath moves into the 3rd tall role. Certainly agile enough and quick enough to play that role. He is a pretty good mark and good at providing some run.

Lever is gone so I reckon we can get away with our 3 KPDs being Talia, Hartigan and Keath.

Talia is a proven gun.
Hartigan is a big unit who can play on the power forwards and smalls.
Keath handles the taller forward.

It's a good mix.

Lever really isn't a KPD so we aren't going to miss that. What we will miss is his third man up and spoiling. That doesn't have to be done by a tall, but a medium sized defender. Enter Doedee. 3rd year on the list and with a 2 year contract, we simply have to play him or it's a stupid re-signing.

Brown, Laird and Smith are locks back there so that means Kelly, despite how good his season has been might be forced out on balance.

Lever is gone so I reckon we can get away with our 3 KPDs being Talia, Hartigan and Keath.

Talia is a proven gun.
Hartigan is a big unit who can play on the power forwards and smalls.
Keath handles the taller forward.

It's a good mix.

Lever really isn't a KPD so we aren't going to miss that. What we will miss is his third man up and spoiling. That doesn't have to be done by a tall, but a medium sized defender. Enter Doedee. 3rd year on the list and with a 2 year contract, we simply have to play him or it's a stupid re-signing.

Brown, Laird and Smith are locks back there so that means Kelly, despite how good his season has been might be forced out on balance.

Keath can't do what lever can

Doedee might be able to but poor disposal will hurt the team

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Keath can't do what lever can

Doedee might be able to but poor disposal will hurt the team

Didn't I say Keath won't play like Lever?
Matt Crouch had a dodgy kick, perhaps give a him a go before you right him off.

And I'm watching the Swans game, Keath did well except those couple of Buddy goals. He won some good one on ones.

Didn't I say Keath won't play like Lever?
Matt Crouch had a dodgy kick, perhaps give a him a go before you right him off.

And I'm watching the Swans game, Keath did well except those couple of Buddy goals. He won some good one on ones.

Buddy won them the game,he was one of their best players if we play Sydney again who stands him

Don't need to buddy destroyed us

No he didn't, he had 16 touches and 3 goals. That's not a destruction. Kennedy destroyed us.

You should watch it, besides those 2 Buddy goals, Keath had a good game. Didn't see him concede another goal and won a number of good contests.

No he didn't, he had 16 touches and 3 goals. That's not a destruction. Kennedy destroyed us.

You should watch it, besides those 2 Buddy goals, Keath had a good game. Didn't see him concede another goal and won a number of good contests.

Keep believing that come finals you and your fanboi attitude will be disappointed

He got beaten he is better as an attacking backman not a stopper and playing further up the ground not in the back 50

Sometimes the team we play will suit him sometimes it won't

Unfortunately it didn't against Sydney and Geelong and I think it won't against gws either maybe it will against Richmond although he won't be able to go to dusty in the goal square like Harto did

I can't think of any defender who can beat Buddy in a one on one when their mids can isolate him.

Keath got beaten badly twice but did well for most of the game.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Buddy destroys everyone on his day. It's no shame to be beaten by him especially if you've only played 6 games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keep believing that come finals you and your fanboi attitude will be disappointed

He got beaten he is better as an attacking backman not a stopper and playing further up the ground not in the back 50

Unfortunately it didn't against Sydney and Geelong and I think it won't against gws either maybe it will against Richmond although he won't be able to go to dusty in the goal square like Harto did

Ok hateboi, it seems you want him to fail.

Without watching the replay the only thing that you remember is Buddy's 2 goals, just like you've talked yourself into believing Taylor kicked 5 on him and Westhoff beat him because he beat him in a sprint and he was so-so against Essendon.

So is Roo a fanboi?

I will say this and then wait for the fireworks,
If we play Sydney in the Finals I would prefer, Talia, Keath and Hartigan as our 3 tall defenders. it makes us quicker. and gives us a more flexible back 3 tall unit.
Keath can Play that intercept marking role with pace. and he can also play a shutdown role.
Hartigan has the strength and pace to go with Franklin and failing that we still have Talia and Keath, Lever could not run with Franklin and I doubt he ever will be able to,
Talia, he is the best tall defender in the Crow lineout.

My reason I have not been that impress with Lever one on one ability and unless he is intercepting marks he almost a 4th defender behind Kelly.
Since the Essendon game have been wondering if Lever goes is a trio of Hartigan, Talia and Keath actually better.

Bear in mind that Smithers is also a very good intercept/attacking HB.

In that game Lever got exposed as we needed him to stand a Key Forward. He will never have that ability. Keath can.

It was also one of Smithers best games if the year as he got to play his most natural role.

Are opposition coaches getting better at exploiting Lever one-on-one or is he just having an inconsistent patch of form secondary to all this off field crap?
Bit of both. Think they do attempt to isolate him as the lone deep defender.

Since the Essendon game have been wondering if Lever goes is a trio of Hartigan, Talia and Keath actually better.

Bear in mind that Smithers is also a very good intercept/attacking HB.

In that game Lever got exposed as we needed him to stand a Key Forward. He will never have that ability. Keath can.

It was also one of Smithers best games if the year as he got to play his most natural role.

That Essendon Game made me look again at Lever full value to the side, Since then I have had doubts about Lever ability on KPF one on one.
And yes I Keep forgetting about Smithers ability to incept,

You would have to be one of the most annoying posters.
He was not beaten by Geelong. He at least broke even.
Buddy often kicks 3 goals. Two of them were on Keath and those efforts weren't good enough, but he would do worse to most 5 gamers. It is Buddy.

Are opposition coaches getting better at exploiting Lever one-on-one or is he just having an inconsistent patch of form secondary to all this off field crap?

I think the thing is that it's easy to talk about isolating a certain defender, but to actually put it into practice on game day is very hard these days. The defenders generally choose who their going to match up on, not the forwards, so that means Lever is generally matched up on the 3rd best tall forward, who more often than not, is just not that good. Even if he is reasonable, he's still the 3rd best forward and the vast majority of the ball is still getting funneled through the 1st two players. Midfielders naturally look for their best forward, who generally has he biggest presence and is leading to the best positions.

Even against Cartlon and Sydney where Lever was legitimately outmatched/exposed defensively, the clubs struggled to truly exploit the match ups to any great frequency.

I also think we tend to be less forgiving of players once they enter their 3rd year of AFL and hence take more note of their deficiencies.

You would have to be one of the most annoying posters.
He was not beaten by Geelong. He at least broke even.
Buddy often kicks 3 goals. Two of them were on Keath and those efforts weren't good enough, but he would do worse to most 5 gamers. It is Buddy.

Agreed, what we should be doing is commending Talias ability to shut down on Buddy for the last 3 and a half quarters. And for that 1 goal Franklin had to run a 100m and slot it from the boundary in a goal that will probably win him GOTY.

Modra once kicked 13 goals in a game against a Carlton side containing Stephen Silvagni who is generally the "full back of the century". Now admittedly Silvagni didn't have 13 goals kicked against him, probably only the first 4 or 5 which Modra kicked in the 1st quarter or so. Silvagni was moved to full forward after this...

Freaks like Franklin, Modra, Ablett, Carey, Dunstall, Lockett, Lloyd etc will make even the best defenders look like rank amateurs. Let's not condemn Keath for conceding 2 goals against Franklin, one of which likely would have been called "push in the back" if it weren't Lance Franklin, but you know, protected species and all...

Actually... That makes 2 of Buddies 3 goals that quite easily could have been disallowed, in a game decided by 3 points. Plus "that" 50 that resulted in another goal to Sydney. That's 3 goals they had a direct hand in that probably shouldn't have happened. Yet apparently we were massively favoured by the umps, perhaps Sydney just give away a heap of free kicks through lack of disicpline...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back