Traded Alex Keath [traded with a future 3rd to Western Bulldogs for #45 and future 2nd]

Remove this Banner Ad

Really you only lost one best 22 player, so it's not too bad for the Crows.
I rate Greenwood though (I think he's good overhead) but he wouldn't get enough midfield minutes with the Crouch brothers there anyway.
Keath definitely best 22.
Jenkins best 22, but we need to play Fogarty.
Greenwood & CEY on the fringe.
Jacobs passed by O'Brien.

Can always trade out players next year for picks, trade in 2021 picks into 2020. Heaps of options
Yep, we'll trade down our first rounder for sure.

What's idiotic is continually getting unders for players. I highly speculative pick for Keath and Greenwood? I'm thrilled

On SM-G920I using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure about Greenwood but with Keath you're no different to any other club in that when an uncontracted player wants to leave, you get unders. Happens to everyone. Everyone just has to accept that something is better than nothing and move on.

Not sure about Greenwood but with Keath you're no different to any other club in that when an uncontracted player wants to leave, you get unders. Happens to everyone. Everyone just has to accept that something is better than nothing and move on.
e.g. Hamling. We took unders because we had to.

If he didn't walk this thread doesn't exist.

Yep the focus for the Crows should be how much they got back in the trade but looking into why he wanted to leave in the first place.

Because we weren't offering him as much or as many years, same with Greenwood. This 'mass exodus' is extremely exaggerated.

Yep the focus for the Crows should be how much they got back in the trade but looking into why he wanted to leave in the first place.
From a list management perspective tt was a very considered list decision to move on many older players to allow the younger players to have their chance in the upcoming seasons and try for some extra draft capital from some that the club felt had some value and that would not be there for the clubs next tilt at a flag. If the club can nail the draft this year it will be setting a very good foundation for Nicks and his new team to mould the team to how he sees it

Because we weren't offering him as much or as many years, same with Greenwood. This 'mass exodus' is extremely exaggerated.
From a list management perspective tt was a very considered list decision to move on many older players to allow the younger players to have their chance in the upcoming seasons and try for some extra draft capital from some that the club felt had some value and that would not be there for the clubs next tilt at a flag. If the club can nail the draft this year it will be setting a very good foundation for Nicks and his new team to mould the team to how he sees it

Right. So fans can't exactly sook you got unders when you're basically pushing him out.

Right. So fans can't exactly sook you got unders when you're basically pushing him out.
not quite. the club did put a 2 year contract to both keath and greenwood. Both players were looking for longer term security and tested the market. I think that the club certainly would have been happy to keep them on the tenure they were offering BUT probably thought alos if they did look around then some extra draft capital would be good too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not quite. the club did put a 2 year contract to both keath and greenwood. Both players were looking for longer term security and tested the market. I think that the club certainly would have been happy to keep them on the tenure they were offering BUT probably thought alos if they did look around then some extra draft capital would be good too
Which goes back to why he wanted to leave.... most players take unders to stay at a club when they're happy with the situation and environment.

Btw, your words not mine: "decision to move on older players"

Anyway, the most probable outcome came about in the end. 13 was never going to be involved and Crows were never going to let him walk for nothing. I think with the 6+ list spots you guys need filling this season, two 3rd rounders was probably better than 45 and a slight upgrade next year but we're not exactly privy to what was offered.

Which goes back to why he wanted to leave.... most players take unders to stay at a club when they're happy with the situation and environment.

Btw, your words not mine: "decision to move on older players"

Anyway, the most probable outcome came about in the end. 13 was never going to be involved and Crows were never going to let him walk for nothing. I think with the 6+ list spots you guys need filling this season, two 3rd rounders was probably better than 45 and a slight upgrade next year but we're not exactly privy to what was offered.
how do you know it is a slight upgrade?. The way I see it is that we basically swapped at 2020 3rd rounder with the dogs for a 3rd rounder this year and GAINED a 2020 2nd rounder. Keath's value was always a 2nd rounder and that is how it has played out - many from your side and many from our side thought a 2nd rounder value was fair

Content with what works out to be Keath for a 2nd round pick. Sanity prevailed, as much as i would have like to have kept him with us. Probably the only player we lost that i wasn't content with losing.

Content with what works out to be Keath for a 2nd round pick. Sanity prevailed, as much as i would have like to have kept him with us. Probably the only player we lost that i wasn't content with losing.

but memory lane tells us keath is a dud and wouldn’t get a game with Doedee back....

like Adelaide isn’t looking for the first way to ditch Kyle Hartigan...

Simply looking at the round of a pick is not the best way to evaluate. Bit too simplistic. Difference between 18 to 19 and 18 to 35 is pretty large.

Don't know for sure that it's only a slight upgrade but lets look at finishing places this year:
Keath + 44 for 30 + 45 (Keath = equiv pick 31)

The discussed trade of 45 and 51 also equates to pick 31, at least that would have been locked in for you though.

The risk for you guys is if finishing positions change next year. Looking at the loss of experience of your team this off season plus our acquisitions filling gaps in our best 22, lets just make a fairly moderate assumption on finishing positions: Dogs 5th, Crows 14th. Then the trade becomes:
Keath + 41 for 32 + 45 (Keath = equiv 36)

If you drop down one more spot (or we go up one) it puts Keath's value at 37 (that's in the 3rd round FYI). It just gets worse for you with more realistic scenarios of your finishing position.

So yeah, you can hang your hat on getting a second rounder and ignore the rest of the trade if you really want to and it makes you feel better but unless you actually look at where those picks are falling within the rounds, it's all a bit shallow.

but memory lane tells us keath is a dud and wouldn’t get a game with Doedee back....

We played Keath & Doedee in round 1, but not Hartigan.

Keath was best 22, along with Doedee.

what will be quite humorous is when we play Geelong and Jenkins fronts up and Hartigan lines up on him...likely to be a bit of kick to kick between them as they shank their respective kicks

Simply looking at the round of a pick is not the best way to evaluate. Bit too simplistic. Difference between 18 to 19 and 18 to 35 is pretty large.

Don't know for sure that it's only a slight upgrade but lets look at finishing places this year:
Keath + 44 for 30 + 45 (Keath = equiv pick 31)

The discussed trade of 45 and 51 also equates to pick 31, at least that would have been locked in for you though.

The risk for you guys is if finishing positions change next year. Looking at the loss of experience of your team this off season plus our acquisitions filling gaps in our best 22, lets just make a fairly moderate assumption on finishing positions: Dogs 5th, Crows 14th. Then the trade becomes:
Keath + 41 for 32 + 45 (Keath = equiv 36)

If you drop down one more spot (or we go up one) it puts Keath's value at 37 (that's in the 3rd round FYI). It just gets worse for you with more realistic scenarios of your finishing position.

So yeah, you can hang your hat on getting a second rounder and ignore the rest of the trade if you really want to and it makes you feel better but unless you actually look at where those picks are falling within the rounds, it's all a bit shallow.
2 things. I expect GC to go better - they are unlikely to have th injuries they had and with Rowell and Anderson coming in with ellis and greenwood, Rankine back and their other kids having more experience, they should win a few more games at the least. I don't see us as a bottom club - I think (lack of injury permitting) we will be a 10-14 team as those traded out were either at the end and really only Keath is a first team regular

But the second thing that may well happen is that we on trade that pick leading up to the draft - pick trading can still happen up to and on draft night and I think reid has hinted that we might be active in that respect. So there are still many variables to play out

how do you know it is a slight upgrade?. The way I see it is that we basically swapped at 2020 3rd rounder with the dogs for a 3rd rounder this year and GAINED a 2020 2nd rounder. Keath's value was always a 2nd rounder and that is how it has played out - many from your side and many from our side thought a 2nd rounder value was fair
Mid 2nd rounder in 2020 could be as far back as pick #50 next year

Or it could be absorbed for points in a bid for edwards and or borlase with one and maybe both possible 1st round talent
I think you will tak 38 senior list this year if that is the cast. The more you stack up draft pick the more you need to delist before draft day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back