Toast Alex Keath

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree with all this. My point is more based on the 'would you rather' of;

Keath-Talia-Doedee in the team + Hartigan as depth
or
Hartigan-Talia-Doedee + An extra 2019 1st round draft pick

I think option 1 is better for us next season (or even the next 2-3), but option 2 is better for us long term!
Another concern is salary, will Harto be cheaper can we meet Keaths demands, the whole list has to fit into the salary cap

Harto is a cheap option who is serviceable, do we need to spend more on crouch crouch Sloane, in retaining them, money has to come from somewhere, will milera make demands or smith and laird, so many unknowns
All of those things get weighted into the decision. Its no different to any other contract situation that we go into every year.

There is the terms you are willing to agree up to and anything over that you are not prepared to meet. That is obviously determined by quality of the player in question, list profile, importance of the player to the team both in the short and the long term, what the player is worth in terms of trade currency, can you get similar production from player X for significantly less money than what you would need to pay etc.

These decisions are never made in isolation for that player in particular. Its a much broader spectrum of considerations to reach that decision. Teams re-signing the player can never pay the player the same money that the team recruiting them will. That is just a fact of life.

We gad a set figure with Lever. He wanted more, we deemed it not worth it given the make up of the team, availability of capable replacement and also the impact his signing would have on our ability to keep other, more important players around. This will be no different. Keath will have bigger offers from other clubs, that is inevitable. We will have a price in mind that we can go up to. If he is happy with that, he stays. If he is not, he goes. Its pretty much that simple.

Because if you actually watched games, you would know Talia has had issues with his body having played many more years than Keath. Talia goes to great lengths with his manage his body to be up for games... but he won't be a late ager because the injuries have taken their toil over the years.
In terms of preparation and maintenance, no one at the club and I mean no one comes close to Talia. The dude lives in an ice bath and on a massage table. He is bordering on obsessive compulsive with his prep. There is an opinion that there has never been anyone at the club that has gone to the same lengths that Talia has to prepare himself to play.

All of those things get weighted into the decision. Its no different to any other contract situation that we go into every year.

There is the terms you are willing to agree up to and anything over that you are not prepared to meet. That is obviously determined by quality of the player in question, list profile, importance of the player to the team both in the short and the long term, what the player is worth in terms of trade currency, can you get similar production from player X for significantly less money than what you would need to pay etc.

These decisions are never made in isolation for that player in particular. Its a much broader spectrum of considerations to reach that decision. Teams re-signing the player can never pay the player the same money that the team recruiting them will. That is just a fact of life.

We gad a set figure with Lever. He wanted more, we deemed it not worth it given the make up of the team, availability of capable replacement and also the impact his signing would have on our ability to keep other, more important players around. This will be no different. Keath will have bigger offers from other clubs, that is inevitable. We will have a price in mind that we can go up to. If he is happy with that, he stays. If he is not, he goes. Its pretty much that simple.
So in short, modern AFL free agency!

Because if you actually watched games, you would know Talia has had issues with his body having played many more years than Keath. Talia goes to great lengths with his manage his body to be up for games... but he won't be a late ager because the injuries have taken their toil over the years.

As if you would know, you need to know a bit about full on training first

Totally agree

The compensation someone willing to pay for a non top 5 player at your club also influences the clubs decision where a 27 year old with minimal years ahead of him can be overpaid for

That compensation would need to come into play also

Totally agree

The compensation someone willing to pay for a non top 5 player at your club also influences the clubs decision where a 27 year old with minimal years ahead of him can be overpaid for

That compensation would need to come into play also
The bottom line is fans need to understand the distinction between 'losing players' and 'managing an AFL list'. For me Alex Keath is a perfect example of a guy we could potentially buy (extremely) low and sell high.

I don't necessarily want to trade him, but at the same time, if a team was to come up with a top 10 pick for a sub 50 game, 28 year old, former cat B rookie..

Mate, start the car!

We must try and keep Keath.

He is part of the group of defenders that will form the foundation of any success we have in the near future.

Talia, Hartigan, Keath, Doedee, Laird, Kelly, Smith. Hamill and Scholl are next couple looking to push into that group.

Sure, if he gets offered a fortune and decides to take it ... That's a different kettle of fish. Eg lever.

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Much like Greenwood, I really hope he stays - BUT .. if we lose him, we will get overs back 100%

I am not sure his output would be as good if we had Doedee in the team - Who I rate as a much, much better talent. (and younger).

Talia, Hartigan, McPherson, Doedee, Laird, Smith, Butts, Scholl, Brown (I have a feeling we trade Kelly at year end) would be a solid base if we decide to cash in on Keath.

Much like Greenwood, I really hope he stays - BUT .. if we lose him, we will get overs back 100%

I am not sure his output would be as good if we had Doedee in the team - Who I rate as a much, much better talent. (and younger).

Talia, Hartigan, McPherson, Doedee, Laird, Smith, Butts, Scholl, Brown (I have a feeling we trade Kelly at year end) would be a solid base if we decide to cash in on Keath.
We've already got a good cohort of kids draft two seasons or less ago (Fog, MacPherson, Jones, McHenry, Hamill, Sholl, Butts) and we already have a top pick and two likely good 2nd round picks this year. If we can get 2 more r1 picks for Keath & Hugh, that could set us up for the next 10-15 years. Hamish can leave a heck of a legacy.

We've already got a good cohort of kids draft two seasons or less ago (Fog, MacPherson, Jones, McHenry, Hamill, Sholl, Butts) and we already have a top pick and two likely good 2nd round picks this year. If we can get 2 more r1 picks for Keath & Hugh, that could set us up for the next 10-15 years. Hamish can leave a heck of a legacy.
Yeah that sounds like a great idea.

Let's trade all our good players for draft picks so we will be good in a 5 years time.

:drunk:

Sent using Tapatalk App on Android.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that sounds like a great idea.

Let's trade all our good players for draft picks so we will be good in a 5 years time.

Just comes down to whether the club genuinely believes they have what it takes to win the flag in the next 3-4 years. i.e are Keath/Greenwood in our next premiership?
We got close and were the dominant side in 2 years ago, so not unreasonable. But if we're being honest with almost a full squad healthy we're not a top tier side currently. So do you bet on the present or future?

Just comes down to whether the club genuinely believes they have what it takes to win the flag in the next 3-4 years. i.e are Keath/Greenwood in our next premiership?
We got close and were the dominant side in 2 years ago, so not unreasonable. But if we're being honest with almost a full squad healthy we're not a top tier side currently. So do you bet on the present or future?
Imagine if back 2 years ago if we had 3 or 4 more players at the level of Sloane, Walker, Mrouch, ... how much stronger we would have been - 1 or 2 more had we not got the Tippett sanctions and 2 from previously trading players like Alex & Hugh.

Anyways, either case will be good. If they stay we get to enjoy their journey from being CatB's to great players for us, or they help make us stronger later.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the "not in our next premiership team" ... you would have said the same about of about 10 Richmond's premiership players in 2016.

You do not trade your up and coming players that are just starting to hit their straps. Keath and Greenwood both fit into that category ... they are basically in their second / third years of footy, both with less than 50 games. I'm guessing ROB would have been on your chopping block before this year's break-out games?

the sooner we get alex keath into the forward lines the better. next year when tommy comes back he would be great if we shifted him forward,he's a great grab and no one will ever stop him on a lead! he is that quick.

Cant post it from work, but there is a story on Adelaide Now that contract talks have begun.

the sooner we get alex keath into the forward lines the better. next year when tommy comes back he would be great if we shifted him forward,he's a great grab and no one will ever stop him on a lead! he is that quick.
Here's a thought.

We push Keath forward this week instead of EH & bring in Milera as the extra defender. Talia takes Dixon & Harigan takes Howard or whoever plays CHF. Or we need a 3rd tall defender, then we can bring in Otten (or play EH/Fog back).

Doubt it will happen though...

Last edited:
Here's a thought.

We push Keath forward this week instead of EH & bring in Milera as the extra defender. Talia takes Dixon & Harigan takes Howard or whoever plays CHF. Or we need a 3rd tall defender, then we can bring in Otten (or play EH/Fog back).

Doubt it will happen though...
Yeah, but good reason. He's played and trained as a defender for how many years?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back