Toast Alex Keath

Crows123

Senior List
Sep 8, 2007
Ottoway, Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Keath plays instead of Hartigan or Kelly.

Simple.
True, but if we are really serious on trying to get either Rankine or Lukosious back, we have to give up something and he will be 28 next year, perfect age profile for Dew to "buy" some wins next year but probably need to give up pick 19 this year and Jenkins as well.

It will be a perfect time to swoop on one of them as it will be a surprise to Port Power instead of next year when they will also be sniffing around and will have a better draft pick then us.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
True, but if we are really serious on trying to get either Rankine or Lukosious back, we have to give up something and he will be 28 next year, perfect age profile for Dew to "buy" some wins next year but probably need to give up pick 19 this year and Jenkins. Perfect time to swoop on one of them as it will be a surprise instead of next year when Port Power will be sniffing around and will have a better draft pick then us.
I'd give them pick 19 and JJ in less than a heartbeat

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'd give them pick 19 and JJ in less than a heartbeat

They won't take JJ. Dew is all about clearing out the chafe who is only playing for the pay packet and keeping those who give it their all every single moment.

Effort and willingness to work to the game plan and for your teammates are his #1, skill is secondary where they are currently.

He is basically building their culture from the ground up and taking JJ sends the wrong message there.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
He drafted some mature age players around 25 years old this year......

What draft picks did he use?

They have good young kids, and using their late draft picks for mature aged players helps give them the mature bodies around them they need without much opportunity cost.

Crows123

Senior List
Sep 8, 2007
Ottoway, Port Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
What draft picks did he use?

They have good young kids, and using their late draft picks for mature aged players helps give them the mature bodies around them they need without much opportunity cost.
None were of the quality of Keath though so he is also a coach that wants to win and that's what I said, Keath now has currency (especially if he make the AA 40 or more so is in the team) and will need a good pick or trade.

Cromulent

A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man.
Feb 11, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
1d7p8LK.jpg

:eggplant:

Thylacinus

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2008
Ubiquitous
AFL Club
Adelaide
I remember a Saturday afternoon a couple of years ago at Richmond Oval. Keath had just returned from injury if I remember rightly. Poholke was also playing in that game. Keath with his height, strength, pace, attack and disposal really impressed me. I thought if this guy is giving us these glimpses while just coming back from injury, what is his ceiling going to be like? As far as I am concerned, this his breakout year has more than answered that question for me. The sky is his limit!

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Has become a fan favourite virtually overnight. Let's hope his body holds up. Has 5-6 years left in him if it does (same goes for Greenwood).

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Now? We well and truly acknowledged it last year when Doedee did it.

Hell we well and truly acknowledged it when Melbourne signed it. It was a shocking deal.

With resigning Keith, I'm completely apathetic to it. Good but is completely and utterly replaceable. The money is the make or break here and over 500k would see me preferring a draft pick.

Pretty sure the vast majority of posters said that Lever was good, but struggled to defend in the air in 1-on-1 contests and was not worth anywhere near $800k/year. Now 18 months down the track I still stand by that, even if Lever hadn't done an ACL.

WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Another team of the week nod for Keath. If he keeps this up he'll be in the mix for AA (but will probably miss out due to the "must have 2 good years before you can be considered for AA" rule).

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
Pretty sure the vast majority of posters said that Lever was good, but struggled to defend in the air in 1-on-1 contests and was not worth anywhere near $800k/year. Now 18 months down the track I still stand by that, even if Lever hadn't done an ACL.

It's why I was quite strong on the Crowcast about this as I had been watching Doedee in the SANFL and while he was showcasing the intercepts etc, he was also showing that he could defend one on one. If the price was too high (which is what it was) then I kept saying don't keep him for that price as we have someone just as good, if not possibly better in the twos.

No thanks.

I'd rather keep our good players, Keath and/or Doedee can play other roles. In fact I reckon Doedee could play many different roles.

There is no guarantee either could. Doedee is off an ACL (so were looking at 2021 minimum for a role switch) and Keath hasn't shown a lot to indicate he'll be a good CHB, more one you sacrifice a bit defensively and hope the offensive output makes up for.

There is nothing more crippling in this game then bad cap management. Sometimes a good player needs to be let go to make sure you don't end up in that situation.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
There is no guarantee either could. Doedee is off an ACL (so were looking at 2021 minimum for a role switch) and Keath hasn't shown a lot to indicate he'll be a good CHB, more one you sacrifice a bit defensively and hope the offensive output makes up for.

There is nothing more crippling in this game then bad cap management. Sometimes a good player needs to be let go to make sure you don't end up in that situation.
The fact Tom is coming off an ACL is even more reason to sign Keath IMO.

Also I'd suggest Keath could play CHB very successfully, not quite sure you've got that one right.

It's clear we are building a game around defence, you don't let one of your sides better defenders go.

Money.

We've seen time and time again what Keath is doing right now isn't that valuable money wise because it is an easy position to replace performance wise (we've done it multiple times this decade). This is a deal we want cheap, otherwise, there is no point keeping Alex. Someone else can fill the void just as well.
Unless Keath wants to be our highest paid player like Lever, we should offer him decent coin to keep him.

We have other out of contract players we would be better off letting go.

Also, we don't know how long Talia's back will hold out. They may be similar ages but Keath should have more AFL years left in him.

We saw last night just how quick he is.
Reckon he could be a quality forward too.
Longer term when we have Keath, Himmelberg & Fog in the team, will give us flexibility to swing any forward/back.

Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Longer term when we have Keath, Himmelberg & Fog in the team, will give us flexibility to swing any forward/back.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-14/listen-which-emerging-crow-isnt-ready-to-sign-on

I haven't listened to the link, because these days I refuse to touch anything that is so clearly click bait. If the headline had mentioned said up and coming player I would have given them the click they wanted (fools).

Anyhoo - not knowing who the player is, I'm guessing it's one of Keath, Himmer...and possibly fog. Who of the future of this club do we lose first?

Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-14/listen-which-emerging-crow-isnt-ready-to-sign-on

I haven't listened to the link, because these days I refuse to touch anything that is so clearly click bait. If the headline had mentioned said up and coming player I would have given them the click they wanted (fools).

Anyhoo - not knowing who the player is, I'm guessing it's one of Keath, Himmer...and possibly fog. Who of the future of this club do we lose first?

They just said Keath would be in his rights to hold off at the moment as he's playing way better than his current wage would be

Didn't imply that he'd leave Adelaide

Back