Toast Alex Keath

Remove this Banner Ad

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-05-14/listen-which-emerging-crow-isnt-ready-to-sign-on

I haven't listened to the link, because these days I refuse to touch anything that is so clearly click bait. If the headline had mentioned said up and coming player I would have given them the click they wanted (fools).

Anyhoo - not knowing who the player is, I'm guessing it's one of Keath, Himmer...and possibly fog. Who of the future of this club do we lose first?
Wouldn’t be surprised if Geelong are throwing big money at Greenwood. He is a Cats fan, they were also interested in him before we got in.

They just said Keath would be in his rights to hold off at the moment as he's playing way better than his current wage would be

Didn't imply that he'd leave Adelaide
Ahhhh, so Keath hasn't actually said "I'm not ready to sign on"? They've gone with the fake news headline.

I'm glad I didn't click on it, but I'm glad you did.:D

Read the Alastair Lynch column on Alex Keath. These were Gold Coast's initial 17yo selections (born Jan-Apr 1992):

Trent McKenzie
Matt Shaw
Brandon Matera
Luke Russell
Tom Nicholls
Maverick Weller
Josh Toy
Alex Keath
Jack Hutchins
Taylor Hine
Hayden Jolly
Piers Flanagan

Looking at that list, it looks like Keath may be close to the best of the lot, maybe shaded currently by Brandon Matera. Several others have played over 100 games, but never really rose above the level of average footballer.

What an absolute disaster that list is

Yep. And just compare that to GWS' 17-year old selections:

Jeremy Cameron
Dylan Shiel
Adam Treloar
Jack Hombsch
Tom Bugg
Nathan Wilson
Tim Golds
Sam Darley
Josh Growden
Jarrod Harding
Simon Tunbridge
Gerard Ugle

Sure, not every player is a star but that top 3 is elite

I think it shows how hit and miss AFL recruiters are with 17yos. GWS probably have a 25% hit rate (maybe 40% if you include Wilson and Hombsch). You could be generous and include Bug as well.

GC have none that you'd call stars and maybe 25% or so you'd call half-decent.

I think it shows how hit and miss AFL recruiters are with 17yos. GWS probably have a 25% hit rate (maybe 40% if you include Wilson and Hombsch). You could be generous and include Bug as well.

GC have none that you'd call stars and maybe 25% or so you'd call half-decent.
The situation could very easily be reversed if the talent pool was different. Same as last years draft year vs previous and this years.

I'm so happy that Keath is doing so well, as I was one of the people vehemently calling for him to start round 1.

The question remains though, does his form in the Doedee/Lever interceptor role mean that Hartigan essentially needs to play as the stay at home FB all year?

If you asked me in the preseason if they both could fit in the starting back 6 I would have laughed at you. But now it looks like that combo might be a permanent fixture in the best 22.

I'm so happy that Keath is doing so well, as I was one of the people vehemently calling for him to start round 1.

The question remains though, does his form in the Doedee/Lever interceptor role mean that Hartigan essentially needs to play as the stay at home FB all year?

If you asked me in the preseason if they both could fit in the starting back 6 I would have laughed at you. But now it looks like that combo might be a permanent fixture in the best 22.

I think Hartigan is the obvious choice. Unless we find someone better suited, he stays in. As much as seems to be good for 1-2 absolute brainfarts each week, on the whole he does an okay job.

For those who watch SANFL, is there any chance Fogarty could play his role? Or is he more in the Jake Kelly mould?

Rightfully so too, seeing it took an ACL for this to occur.

We’re very lucky SACA didn’t give him that shield contract in 2016.
Was the form batsman in premier over there.

Thanks SACA!
Maybe Lehmann put in a good word for us? Haha

:p:p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We’re very lucky SACA didn’t give him that shield contract in 2016.
Was the form batsman in premier over there.

Thanks SACA!
Maybe Lehmann put in a good word for us? Haha

:p:p
Just wanted to know if there was sandpaper over the cracks.

I think GWS were just setup better from day 1. Even their recruitment strategies were better.

The AFL, imo dropped the ball with the GC.
The Giants are a seriously professional organisation - From top level organisation down to fan engagement and most things in between they really nail it. They have a real chance of breaking the Western Sydney market long term.

I’d say GWS and Collingwood appear to be the two best run clubs in the league.

I get that Gold Coast needed a star to attract fans and revenue but by putting their eggs in one basket with Ablett I think they missed the opportunity to develope their list to the extent that GWS has done.

Perhaps GWS were lucky in this respect that Buddy chose Sydney over GWS. They have a well balanced squad and enough cap to keep their stars.

Once Ablett left GC the rot set in. Dew took over and there was a player exodus.
Ablett didn’t do them any favours while he was captain. In hindsight it was a poor move by the club to sign him on.

Hi guys, I come in peace.

Just after some info on Alex Keath.
There’s rumours over our way that Bailey Williams could be heading home at seasons end.
If that was to happen what are the chances that he and a pick could pry Keath home to Vic ?
I see he’s out of contract and up until this season wasn’t looking at a very lucrative contract.

Genuine inquiry.

Hi guys, I come in peace.

Just after some info on Alex Keath.
There’s rumours over our way that Bailey Williams could be heading home at seasons end.
If that was to happen what are the chances that he and a pick could pry Keath home to Vic ?
I see he’s out of contract and up until this season wasn’t looking at a very lucrative contract.

Genuine inquiry.
No problem mate. Always happy to speak with other teams with genuine questions. Personally I see our FO working hard to keep Keath happy, developed him from a Cat B rookie and is now showing crazy upside, seems like the exact kind of player the Crows like to keep at all costs. And in general he seems pretty settled in Adelaide, so i'd be surprised if he wanted out.

Think our FO would gladly entertain offers for VIC guys like Jenkins, Hartigan, Kelly, and Atkins next offseason. All are still regular players, but are probably pushing the outer limits of our best 22, and the squeeze is getting tighter from the youth we are developing. Not sure how the value mirrors up with Bailey Williams (havent seen that much of him) but hopefully that gives you a bit of an indication.

Cheers guys. Probably unlikely as you say but he’s definitely what we need.

As for Bailey Williams... Hes got plenty of upside but can’t seem to nail his spot again yet after injury interrupted pre season. Played well last year as a pretty dangerous HBF who can intercept well.
May not be what you need but with the rumours of him maybe on the move back home, he’d be part of any trade discussions imo.

Cheers guys. Probably unlikely as you say but he’s definitely what we need.

As for Bailey Williams... Hes got plenty of upside but can’t seem to nail his spot again yet after injury interrupted pre season. Played well last year as a pretty dangerous HBF who can intercept well.
May not be what you need but with the rumours of him maybe on the move back home, he’d be part of any trade discussions imo.
Interesting. I've certainly heard decent rumblings about him being a good player, i'll keep an eye out going forward.

While I have you here, whats your thoughts on your current 2nd Ruck/forward situation? I've thought for a while that Josh Jenkins could be a ideal fit for you guys, now with Boyd retiring it seems like the need might have compounded. Adds a seasoned goal kicker to the forward line, and also gives you a chop out ruckman. He has his faults, but he's probably good for 30-40 goals a year if in the right system.

I think he's on his way out for us with Himmelberg coming on for us. Any interest?

Interesting. I've certainly heard decent rumblings about him being a good player, i'll keep an eye out going forward.

While I have you here, whats your thoughts on your current 2nd Ruck/forward situation? I've thought for a while that Josh Jenkins could be a ideal fit for you guys, now with Boyd retiring it seems like the need might have compounded. Adds a seasoned goal kicker to the forward line, and also gives you a chop out ruckman. He has his faults, but he's probably good for 30-40 goals a year if in the right system.

I think he's on his way out for us with Himmelberg coming on for us. Any interest?

Would definitely fill a void as we’re down a bigger key fwd.
He’s on the outer too isn’t he ?

Any idea what pick and salary would get it done ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back