Toast Alex Keath

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Would definitely fill a void as we’re down a bigger key fwd.
He’s on the outer too isn’t he ?

Any idea what pick and salary would get it done ?
Yeah, I think the consensus is he will likely seek a trade if we keep playing Himmelberg in his stead.

From memory he's contracted for 2 or 3 more seasons after this one at around half a mil. A 2nd would easily get it done IMO, you might get it done with a 3rd if both parties are motivated.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Yeah, I think the consensus is he will likely seek a trade if we keep playing Himmelberg in his stead.

From memory he's contracted for 2 or 3 more seasons after this one at around half a mil. A 2nd would easily get it done IMO, you might get it done with a 3rd if both parties are motivated.

Yeah, righto. Seems pretty reasonable. Could get three years out of him which would help our developing fwds.

We also seem to have a knack of getting decent return out of players on the outer at oppo clubs ie Suckling, Biggs, Lloyd, Duryea, Hamling

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah, righto. Seems pretty reasonable. Could get three years out of him which would help our developing fwds.

We also seem to have a knack of getting decent return out of players on the outer at oppo clubs ie Suckling, Biggs, Lloyd, Duryea, Hamling
I think with JJ getting 3 more years out of his body is very achievable. He seems to cover the km's with relative ease. Just one of those evergreen types physically, especially for a guy thats 199cms

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hi guys, I come in peace.

Just after some info on Alex Keath.
There’s rumours over our way that Bailey Williams could be heading home at seasons end.
If that was to happen what are the chances that he and a pick could pry Keath home to Vic ?
I see he’s out of contract and up until this season wasn’t looking at a very lucrative contract.

Genuine inquiry.
To be honest I think it might be all about the money and length on contract that is offered to Keath.
He has shown he dosent care about moving states, countries or even sports to get better opportunities.
This next contract is going to be his biggest and maybe last. So if a team came with a 5 year deal on good coin, and Adelaide were offering him a three year on less money I think he would go. Same as Greenwood unfortunately.

Hi guys, I come in peace.

Just after some info on Alex Keath.
There’s rumours over our way that Bailey Williams could be heading home at seasons end.
If that was to happen what are the chances that he and a pick could pry Keath home to Vic ?
I see he’s out of contract and up until this season wasn’t looking at a very lucrative contract.

Genuine inquiry.

Hard to say, it depends on how much Keath gets offered by other clubs.

He's playing as a loose defender, which is going to be a position where we're only going to keep if it's on our terms, so definitely obtainable (especially as we have Doedee on decent coin playing the same position). Whether it's wise to pay the amount to obtain him is another thing entirely as he's a 27 year old loose defender and loose defenders aren't worth a lot of money at the best of times.

Charlie Bucket

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Hard to say, it depends on how much Keath gets offered by other clubs.

He's playing as a loose defender, which is going to be a position where we're only going to keep if it's on our terms, so definitely obtainable (especially as we have Doedee on decent coin playing the same position). Whether it's wise to pay the amount to obtain him is another thing entirely as he's a 27 year old loose defender and loose defenders aren't worth a lot of money at the best of times.

Does he have any ability as a one on one key defender ? That’s probably the area we’re looking at filling.

Does he have any ability as a one on one key defender ? That’s probably the area we’re looking at filling.

Pretty average one on one. Would be a good second key defender, but not one you'd build a defensive unit around.

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Keath has quickly moved from a cat B rookie to AA contention in a short period and his ceiling is yet to be found. I reckon our club would make him a priority keep. I don't buy this 'he's only a 3rd tall loose defender' argument. This bloke is a matchwinner and as such will be highly-priced.

Keath has quickly moved from a cat B rookie to AA contention in a short period and his ceiling is yet to be found. I reckon our club would make him a priority keep. I don't buy this 'he's only a 3rd tall loose defender' argument. This bloke is a matchwinner and as such will be highly-priced.

We've been down this road before, the result was the best trade we've done this decade. We couldn't have cared less about keeping Lever then, and he was a much better prospect then Keath is by virtue of age/performance.

AA or not, I doubt we care that much if we keep Keath, unless it is well and truly on our terms because as we've seen time and time again, it's not difficult to find someone to perform in the role.

Think our FO would gladly entertain offers for VIC guys like Jenkins, Hartigan, Kelly, and Atkins next offseason. All are still regular players, but are probably pushing the outer limits of our best 22, and the squeeze is getting tighter from the youth we are developing. Not sure how the value mirrors up with Bailey Williams (havent seen that much of him) but hopefully that gives you a bit of an indication.
Interesting, as there were rumours we approached Adelaide about his status during he 2017 trade period but Atkins is strong ties with the playing group. He's certainly the type of player Bevo likes.

Damn. Wish we traded him.
What would his trade value be at the moment?
Asking in the context of our own Bailey Williams being continually linked to a move back to Adelaide.

Asking in the context of our own Bailey Williams being continually linked to a move back to Adelaide.

Probably a 2nd at this point. Really has stagnated in the past two years into a pretty ok winger.

He's one of those players that our coaches believe is clearly best 22, whereas many posters here see him more as a fringe type that should be replaced because he's a bit s**t. He's also 24 and played 80 odd games so right in that prime spot.

I'd trade him for a pick in the late 20s but I think the club would want a late first

Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Cheers guys. Probably unlikely as you say but he’s definitely what we need.

As for Bailey Williams... Hes got plenty of upside but can’t seem to nail his spot again yet after injury interrupted pre season. Played well last year as a pretty dangerous HBF who can intercept well.
May not be what you need but with the rumours of him maybe on the move back home, he’d be part of any trade discussions imo.
Ive heard Bailey is keen on going to Carlton. That was at the start of the year though and maybe things have changes becausr Carlton are Carlton.

beartoo

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2004
Moana Heights Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
We've been down this road before, the result was the best trade we've done this decade. We couldn't have cared less about keeping Lever then, and he was a much better prospect then Keath is by virtue of age/performance.

AA or not, I doubt we care that much if we keep Keath, unless it is well and truly on our terms because as we've seen time and time again, it's not difficult to find someone to perform in the role.

How often does a player perform the role as well as Keath? Much better than Lever. Agree to disagree. To me he is a must keep.

Vhaluus

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 13, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I wouldn't be trading Keath.

Even if we have historically been good at getting players to play that role, very few of them have the phsyical attributes that Keath does.

Think we're only starting to see the very beginning of what he's capable of; As he gains AFL level experience and confidence we're going to see him take some big steps up over the next 18 months.

Plus his salary wouldn't be sky hight at the moment which makes him extremely good value for money.

Unless we're getting a pick under 10 for him I just don't see a trade being worth it and I doubt other clubs would give up those picks.

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tom Morris mentioned tonight "On the Coach" that Melbourne are making a play for Alex Keath at the end of the year if he doesnt sign with us. Sounds like he may not be happy with our offer if he doesn't sign by the bye. Hope he stays as he can play. Probably an admission the Lever trade has not worked for them and going after our other interceptor. Maybe the club is hedging their betts on Doedee playing that role next year. Manager could also be trying push his clients price up by getting other clubs in Melbourne interested. Surely with all our retirements of Jacobs, Otten, Mackay, Douglas etc we can sign Keath. One would hope so instead of prioritising these cooked players.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Tom Morris mentioned tonight "On the Coach" that Melbourne are making a big play for Alex Keath at the end of the year if he doesnt sign with us. Sounds like he may not be happy with our offer if he doesn't sign by the bye. Hope he stays as he can play. Melbourne obviously targeting us. Maybe the club is hedging their betts on Doedee playing that role next year.
Can they all just **** off please?

Other clubs must have a bloody AFC radar for when we develop nobody type players into potential stars of the comp - Lever, Gov, and now Keath and Greenwood and believe it or not CEY. Keath Greenwood and CEY are totally gettable by other clubs. I think we need to keep all of them.

Tom Morris mentioned tonight "On the Coach" that Melbourne are making a play for Alex Keath at the end of the year if he doesnt sign with us. Sounds like he may not be happy with our offer if he doesn't sign by the bye. Hope he stays as he can play. Probably an admission the Lever trade has not worked for them and going after our other interceptor. Maybe the club is hedging their betts on Doedee playing that role next year. Manager could also be trying push his clients price up by getting other clubs in Melbourne interested. Surely with all our retirements of Jacobs, Otten, Mackay, Douglas etc we can sign Keath. One would hope so instead of prioritising these cooked players.
Melbourne?

First Lever, then May... whilst getting rid of Hogan.

Goody said today the problem is their forward line, so why chase another defender?

Back