Toast Alex Keath

They keep bringing in defenders, but at the end of the day, they've got a colossal spud in Troy Chaplin as their backline coach.

Perhaps we should send Hart their way.

Johnny Rutten

Anarchy for the AFC, it's coming sometime...
Apr 25, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
So they can play May as a forward and so Lever doesn't have to play defensively.
They can play May up forward now if that's what they really want. Just play both McDonalds in defence.

With respects to Keath, he's playing really well + he's uncontracted. There'd be more than just Melbourne contemplating making an offer. Hell if Keath was playing for another team, I'd expect our club to be asking questions as well.

Oct 11, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
South Adelaide, Everton, NY Yankees
I have softened to players being on the move. And I think our club is structuring that it is a reality of modern football.
Sure, we have lost a few big name ones over the years, but so have many others, most notably GWS and the gold coast. Although, frustratingly, some haven't; Geelong springs to mind.
I think it is the future of football, just like it is in almost every other elite sport code across the world.
What I do believe is that we understand this and have become the best at developing players to soften this - Doedee, replaces Lever, Keath steps up and then, if he goes, Butts comes next. (Of course we are hoping that Doedee returns at full steam.)
I guess you could just call it a great development program. Further examples of this are Himmer and Fog coming behind the key forwards, Stengle for the small forwards, McHenry for Sloane, Hamill and Scholl for Smith and Laird etc etc.

Having said all of that, I would be sad to see Keath go, but not broken hearted. And I would expect something decent in return, which we could then place into the continual rebuild, that we do so well.

I have softened to players being on the move. And I think our club is structuring that it is a reality of modern football.
Sure, we have lost a few big name ones over the years, but so have many others, most notably GWS and the gold coast. Although, frustratingly, some haven't; Geelong springs to mind.
I think it is the future of football, just like it is in almost every other elite sport code across the world.
What I do believe is that we understand this and have become the best at developing players to soften this - Doedee, replaces Lever, Keath steps up and then, if he goes, Butts comes next. (Of course we are hoping that Doedee returns at full steam.)
I guess you could just call it a great development program. Further examples of this are Himmer and Fog coming behind the key forwards, Stengle for the small forwards, McHenry for Sloane, Hamill and Scholl for Smith and Laird etc etc.

Having said all of that, I would be sad to see Keath go, but not broken hearted. And I would expect something decent in return, which we could then place into the continual rebuild, that we do so well.
Brown paper bag money has plenty to answer for.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

You can’t keep losing players because you start from scratch and have to wait 2-4 years for the replacements to develop which means you keep putting that premiership back.

Also not relevant comparing our player retention to expansion teams.

Look the players around them as well. Hibberd, Hore. They clearly have a bizarre fascination with players who intercept first and defend second.
Chaplin is building a defence based on his game style...

May 13, 2006
Sunshine Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ford Cortina
Melbourne journo - checks all interstate club lists to see who isnt contracted for 2020..

First club in alphabetical order is Adelaide..

Checks which players not contracted are playing well..

Writes fluff piece stating random Melbourne club are targeting them..

Happens every year!!!

Murray2503

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 10, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Melbourne journo - checks all interstate club lists to see who isnt contracted for 2020..

First club in alphabetical order is Adelaide..

Checks which players not contracted are playing well..

Writes fluff piece stating random Melbourne club are targeting them..

Happens every year!!!
Agree they make up s**t but it is also true we lose a player every year we can't afford to lose. Other club don't seem to have that problem. Clubs target us specifically as they know we don't manage our cap well and overpay declining ageing players and cannot retire them when out of contract. They also know we hardly ever trade out players that aren't priorities and therefore our cap is always extremely tight. Players generally don't want to leave unless there is family issues to get home. We make it easy for them to leave by making disrespectful offers to key out of contract players in comparison to other clubs. Our supporter base is sick of this s**t every year. This is the sole reason we never win a flag and why we are in this continual loop of finishing 5th to 10th every year. It's time for the people managing our list to be the ones that leave.

Last edited:

betterthanu

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 29, 2006
ADL
AFL Club
Adelaide
Agree they make up **** but it is also true we lose a player every year we can't afford to lose. Other club don't seem to have that problem. Clubs target us specifically as they know we don't manage our cap well and overpay declining ageing players and cannot retire them when out of contract. They also know we hardly ever trade out players that aren't priorities and therefore our cap is always extremely tight. Players generally don't want to leave unless there is family issues to get home. We make it easy for them to leave by making disrespectful offers to key out of contract players in comparison to other clubs. Our supporter base is sick of this **** every year. This is the sole reason we never win a flag and why we are in this continual loop of finishing 5th to 10th every year. It's time for the people managing our list to be the ones that leave.

Seems like making s**t up isnt just for journos

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
You'd be pretty annoyed if you were Jake Lever and the club that targeted you immediately went and targeted your replacement as well, haha.

Edit: Or, in fact, your replacement's replacement!

Not as annoyed as the club executives who were told Lever was the answer to their defensive problems

And then we’re told Steven May would sold their defensive conumdrum

This time you’d be wary

We better keep Keath or I’m going to be mad at our club.
Unless he is being offered ridiculous money, I agree. Must keep for me & I would be moving others out to make sure we pay him fairly.

marty36

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
28 years old next year if anyone was interested in offering a good trade you would do it every day of the week, Any player who is 28 year next year on our list depending on the trade value should be looked at, that would be negligent of the club not too, all comes down to whats on offer

Jarman3

Premiership Player
Oct 22, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I would be open to moving Keath on. Doedee coming back, Butts looks good.

2x First rounders is the going rate from memory for a defender like Keath, but considering his age I would accept 1 x first rounder 🙂

Especially if it's Melbourne's first rounder. Would make for a nice pair alongside Carlton's.

40porpoise

Club Legend
Aug 29, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
What actually happens next year when doedee comes back? Keath is an exceptional 3rd man but an average-good one on one defender.

I love the guy but if Melbourne can offer a high first round draft pick I think we take it

Betts are off

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 28, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don’t want to lose Keath, but we do have to keep in mind how our team will work with him, Doedee, Talia and Hartigan in the Lineup. It’s quite clearly 1 too many talls IMO.

For all Hartigans faults, he is a very capable 1on1 key defender, and he frees up guys like Lever, Doedee and now Keath too look like AA’s intercept marking players. So while people think we would logically drop him based on talent, I actually think his lockdown role is more important then we give credit for in our system.

If a mid to high first round compo was on offer for Keath I think I would probably take that deal and let Doedee refill the interceptor role, and continue to develop Butts for depth.

Bob Neil

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2011
At a table with old friends
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think if the club asks itself who is more likely out of Talia or Keath to play 100 (more) games at a high quality as a KPD in the future then I think the answer is Keath. That should be reflected in their list management and retention strategy. Not that it's a straight choice and our hands are tied a little with Talia in a lucrative long-term contract but all else being equal I think Keath is a higher priority and better asset right now.

Mego Red

The Artist Formerly Known As Kristof
10k Posts
Oct 3, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Soft spot for Brisbane
Personally, once we have Doedee back, I'd be curious about whether Keath could play KPF and do some minimal ruck work?

Back