Alex Mckinnion Incident

Remove this Banner Ad

The point is they tried to make contact after the events that counters what was said by McKinnon.

Also Smith is under no obligation to make contact at all. Smiths actions after the events should be commended, he raised money and wore his number as a tribute.
It wasn't knocked back by McKinnon. He may never have known that they asked to see him.

You mean like every single other player in the league? He isn't a white knight for being a human.

I don't agree with blasting him through the media but I'm not going to argue with how Alex felt about the whole thing.

It wasn't knocked back by McKinnon. He may never have known that they asked to see him.

You mean like every single other player in the league? He isn't a white knight for being a human.

I don't agree with blasting him through the media but I'm not going to argue with how Alex felt about the whole thing.

Yes like everyone that did. To s**t on one person is pathetic.

Yes like everyone that did. To s**t on one person is pathetic.
And we're back to why he singled him out. Because he was more worried about a penalty for several mins than a bloke stuck on the ground saying he couldn't move or feel anything.

Either way you look at it, it wasn't his finest moments.

And we're back to why he singled him out. Because he was more worried about a penalty for several mins than a bloke stuck on the ground saying he couldn't move or feel anything.

Either way you look at it, it wasn't his finest moments.

I just realised that McKinnon has a book coming out...

I hope this means he'll sell a copy or two.:$

Well that probably changes the way he felt about Smith...

You will only ever defend the captain of your club so this discussion is largely pointless now.

Just means he has books to sell, why not go up against one of the biggest names in the league in origin week.

Controversy creates cash.

A bit pathetic by Channel 9 to stir up all this controversy (especially before the Origin decider), but IMO Alex has every right to feel angry with Cameron Smith for his actions on that day.

I have looked for this quote or something similar from Gallen, but can't find it?

Was on FB.

Was basically supporting Smith whilst taking a shot at the media.

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-leag...one-caught-in-the-moment-20150706-gi5t8q.html

As the young forward lay motionless on the ground with a serious injury, opposition players celebrated by high fiving each other and one even ran in to tell him to get up. The tackler on this occasion was Alex McKinnon and the injured player was Melbourne's Jordan McLean, who had to be assisted from the field with a broken jaw caused by the sickening head clash. There was no malice or intent in the incident but Knights team-mates Neville Costigan, Chris Houston and Beau Scott all congratulated McKinnon as McLean lay unconscious, while Joey Leilua raced in from his position at left centre and leaned over the Storm prop to scream abuse at him.

Alex and Channel 9, you shouldn't go throwing stones in glass houses you only get caught out

"There was no malice or intent in the incident but Knights team-mates Neville Costigan, Chris Houston and Beau Scott all congratulated McKinnon as McLean lay unconscious, while Joey Leilua raced in from his position at left centre and leaned over the Storm prop to scream abuse at him"

By my count that's 3 teammates celebrating. McKinnon throws a couple of high 5's after a big hit and then walks out the back of the pack.

Not sure Alex did a lot wrong. The hit wasn't illegal and purely accidental. The issues aren't really comparable.

I do remember that game fondly though :)

"There was no malice or intent in the incident but Knights team-mates Neville Costigan, Chris Houston and Beau Scott all congratulated McKinnon as McLean lay unconscious, while Joey Leilua raced in from his position at left centre and leaned over the Storm prop to scream abuse at him"

By my count that's 3 teammates celebrating. McKinnon throws a couple of high 5's after a big hit and then walks out the back of the pack.

Not sure Alex did a lot wrong. The hit wasn't illegal and purely accidental. The issues aren't really comparable.

I do remember that game fondly though :)

I'm curious if he was angry at his teammates. It is comparable as the situation is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm curious if he was angry at his teammates. It is comparable as the situation is.
Had McLean laid on the ground for several minutes saying he couldn't feel/move his legs? It's not the same no matter how much you want it to be.

Have you ever played the game Pants? After a big hit there's a lot of adrenaline.

I don't think there was any problem with Smith talking to the ref initially but it's pretty poor taste to carry on with it when the guy is saying he can't feel or move, several mins after the incident has occurred. At least wait until he's out of earshot ffs.

Had McLean laid on the ground for several minutes saying he couldn't feel/move his legs? It's not the same no matter how much you want it to be.

Have you ever played the game Pants? After a big hit there's a lot of adrenaline.

I don't think there was any problem with Smith talking to the ref initially but it's pretty poor taste to carry on with it when the guy is saying he can't feel or move, several mins after the incident has occurred. At least wait until he's out of earshot ffs.

Maybe you should read the article. Smith only questioned it after he saw the replay on the big screen, perfectly acceptable to do so.

I'm not trying to make it the same at all, you just seem intent to paint Smith as the bad guy here.

Maybe you should read the article. Smith only questioned it after he saw the replay on the big screen, perfectly acceptable to do so.

I'm not trying to make it the same at all, you just seem intent to paint Smith as the bad guy here.
I never said he was a bad guy. I said he had some moments that weren't his best and I stand by that.

Ultimately it makes absolutely no difference to anything, what I think.

I never said he was a bad guy. I said he had some moments that weren't his best and I stand by that.

Ultimately it makes absolutely no difference to anything, what I think.

It doesn't, you're right.

Yeah it's not a good look from smith and I bet he regrets it. Sad to see how McKinnon and his family let it really get to them though. Strange that they can go through and accept so much but not the seemingly quite forgivable actions of someone who clearly didn't realise the significance of the situation.

60 mins clearly in conspiracy with Laurie Daley, the NSW Victoria Bitter Blue's stoop to new low, Phillip J Gould a lizard person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah it's not a good look from smith and I bet he regrets it. Sad to see how McKinnon and his family let it really get to them though. Strange that they can go through and accept so much but not the seemingly quite forgivable actions of someone who clearly didn't realise the significance of the situation.

60 mins clearly in conspiracy with Laurie Daley, the NSW Victoria Bitter Blue's stoop to new low, Phillip J Gould a lizard person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's terrible journalism. Reading a fair bit of comments from people seem to mostly agree with that.

I watched the game and I clearly remember the first thing Cam Smith said to the Ref was "nobody lies to see that happen" or something very similliar and then when onto argue the penalty, 60 Minutes cut the bit where he says "nobody likes to see that happen" out which is dodgy.

Have absolutely no respect for Alex McKinnon now as a person. He has singled out some for criticism who at the time had no idea about the severity of the injury, failed to acknowledge that he contributed to the severity of the impact by ducking (something that has been commented on by Rugby League legends) and told blatant lies about Smith not trying to contact him.

What happened to him was a tragedy, but the way he has handled himself with this will cost him a lot of friends inside the NRL community and that is something of his own making. Smith is the most respected player in the NRL by a big margin and will end up an immortal of the game, it seems McKinnon is more interested in marketing to sell his book than the truth.

I would blame Channel 9 and 60 minutes to be honest.

Yes, Alex has a story to tell and that's fair enough. Its also fair enough that he has written a book and wants to promote it. I doubt he has taken much time to think about how he contributed to his own injury and that most likely leads to the whole Smith thing if he did watch the tackle for the first time as was reported on 60 minutes. However his book has been long written and his feelings towards Smith have been long established therefore so he didn't get this opinion sitting next to Liz Hayes. His family most likely never informed him of the efforts made by the Storm and/or Smith to make contact while in Melbourne. That's fair enough, they are much better placed to judge whether Alex was in the right mental state at the time to see them or even receive messages from them.

I can't blame Alex for that, his family I can't judge without knowing who knew what and how the approaches where made but their idea that Smith should reach out to Alex personally is a bit rich considering what he did raising money for Alex. But they will have their reasons and fair enough.

What I can't except is Channel 9 and 60 Minutes saw fit to run that story without even giving the answer of reply to Smith or the Storm because in their words "this was a story about Alex". Well guess what you changed that by not asking for Smith's reply at the very least. That changed the story from being about Alex to being Alex vs Smith and that is poor reporting at best.

This whole matter would of been solved if 60 minutes put Alex's claims to Smith and the Storm, they chose not to and Alex has lost some support because how this looks. There are no winnings out of this.

Saw media reports that Smith will refuse channel 9 interviews and tell his side of the story on channel 7.

I would blame Channel 9 and 60 minutes to be honest.

Yes, Alex has a story to tell and that's fair enough. Its also fair enough that he has written a book and wants to promote it. I doubt he has taken much time to think about how he contributed to his own injury and that most likely leads to the whole Smith thing if he did watch the tackle for the first time as was reported on 60 minutes. However his book has been long written and his feelings towards Smith have been long established therefore so he didn't get this opinion sitting next to Liz Hayes. His family most likely never informed him of the efforts made by the Storm and/or Smith to make contact while in Melbourne. That's fair enough, they are much better placed to judge whether Alex was in the right mental state at the time to see them or even receive messages from them.

I can't blame Alex for that, his family I can't judge without knowing who knew what and how the approaches where made but their idea that Smith should reach out to Alex personally is a bit rich considering what he did raising money for Alex. But they will have their reasons and fair enough.

What I can't except is Channel 9 and 60 Minutes saw fit to run that story without even giving the answer of reply to Smith or the Storm because in their words "this was a story about Alex". Well guess what you changed that by not asking for Smith's reply at the very least. That changed the story from being about Alex to being Alex vs Smith and that is poor reporting at best.

This whole matter would of been solved if 60 minutes put Alex's claims to Smith and the Storm, they chose not to and Alex has lost some support because how this looks. There are no winnings out of this.

He has reacted to the Smith stuff in the book so it's complete bullshit that he saw the tackle for the first time on 60 Minutes.

Saw media reports that Smith will refuse channel 9 interviews and tell his side of the story on channel 7.
Good because him doing it with Channel 7 will piss them off more than him responding to false accusations made by McKinnon that Smith didn't try and contact him. It's also been interesting to see some of those defending Smith, which include Wayne Bennett (Knights coach on the day) and Rick Stone (Knight current coach and assistant coach then), along with a massive list of the whose who of Rugby League. Also willing to bet not a single NSW Origin player will mention it during the game tomorrow.

The only thing I've seen on McKinnon's side is sympathy for the emotions that his family must of been going through.

Channel 9 can look forward to a visit from Smith's lawyers in the coming weeks and payout that will cost more than what they paid McKinnon for the interview. Channel 9 knew what they put to air was provocative and the fact they didn't ask Smith or Melbourne Storm for a comment is going to hurt them in a defamation case.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back