Free Agency Alex Morgan [signed with North Melbourne]

Remove this Banner Ad

IMO if he didn't have a gun brother playing at the club he wouldn't have survived.

2 years with out a senior game is a long time for a player that didn't show much when given the chance. - very lucky.
Think he wasn’t far off selection until he broke his leg in the VFL. Both really aren’t great and Morgan choosing to leave probably made the decision easier as I’d say one of Merrett or Morgan had to go

It is irrelevant, because Neilson/Marley/Wright all play as hbf's/defenders that can play small and Macmillan and Josh Williams plays as that hbf/winger hybrid type, hell I could even slip McDonald into that hybrid role if we need to. Even as a pure winger, Morgan would struggle with Clarke, Ahern, Mountford and McDonald (even Stephenson if he is drafted). Morgan has to climb over these guys to get a look in and Mullett's departure changes nothing, except for shifting the deck chairs one spot.

I'm not saying he's walking into your side. I'm just saying there is far less of his type at North than at Essendon. We have McGrath, McKenna, Mcniece and Saad who are all short running defenders.

Sure North will likely go with a taller defence with only Williams as a genuine small but if I was Morgan I'd be thinking I'm only a good patch of VFL form away from a genuine shot at AFL.

We also delisted a player that played every game this year - we saw enough of Mullett to know that he won't be much help going forward.

I'm not criticising that decision just pointing out North aren't stacked for small running defenders with good skills.

Sorry - train of thought that I didn't explain.

North, as one of the smaller clubs, like it or lump it, start at a small disadvantage when it comes to recruiting established talent.

It is my belief they did the RIGHT thing recruiting Dal Santo, Waite; and also my belief that they did the right thing recognizing it wasn't going to work (a lesson a club like Hawthorn is yet to learn) when it was apparent that side wasn't winning a flag.

However, in cutting the list so deep and quickly, they are now a smaller club that is also likely to be a fairly poor onfield performer for at least the next 1-2 years.

That at least seems to be part of the reason players like Kelly, Martin declined to move, and now North is stuck in a position of wanting to add to that 20-22yo bracket, but instead being forced to go to a draft they (and others) don't really want to be heavily involved in.

Hence the interest in a very fringe player at another club.

A fair post and I see it isn't said with a smattering of "lulz'. I think and Carl Delina alluded to the fact we do not bottom out and may have been scared to do so. I can also understand why. Now I also believe Kelly is a strong show to still end up at North, but it will not happen if we're full of other clubs cast offs and our own ageing players. We need a couple of years of bottom four finishes.

Simpkin, Preuss, Garner, Clarke, McKay, Durdin, Ahern, Mountford, Williams, Zurhaar and Nielson need games and plenty of them. Add in pick 4 and 23 this year and s**t will I believe start to turn around quick enough.

And we may just be attractive to the right types.

Isn't Nielson a key defender?
Yes. He's definitely 194cm. Adaptable and has good closing speed. Only have to see his game on gray to see his speed. Caught him twice on the break away - it was like a lion taking down a gazelle. Smalls and talls with be dinner for the next 10 years. If you look into his eyes...too late, you're food!

Yes. He's definitely 194cm. Adaptable and has good closing speed. Only have to see his game on gray to see his speed. Caught him twice on the break away - it was like a lion taking down a gazelle. Smalls and talls with be dinner for the next 10 years. If you look into his eyes...too late, you're food!

As in v robbie gray @ Adelaide Oval?

Yea, kept him somewhat quiet considering how bad North were thumped.

I was at that game didnt think Gray was that quiet. Double checked his stats and had 17 possies and 2.3. IIRC he played mostly forward mostly and looked dangerous all day. But do notice Sam Gray had a day out so I could be mixing them up.

I was at that game didnt think Gray was that quiet. Double checked his stats and had 17 possies and 2.3. IIRC he played mostly forward mostly and looked dangerous all day. But do notice Sam Gray had a day out so I could be mixing them up.
Neilson did well on him though, and troubled him with his closing speed and commitment to the contest. He's very raw, but you can see the potential in performances like that one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats mean nothing when you get pumped like North did that day. North's defenders were filming 'under siege 3'

Did you feel sorry for them in the 90's? What were you guys up to in that decade?
No but I'm tipping he didn't big note himself based on Richmonds dominance in late 70s and 1980 in that time like quite a lot of NM posters seem to think they're still a powerhouse from the 90s which was a long time ago.

No but I'm tipping he didn't big note himself based on Richmonds dominance in late 70s and 1980 in that time like quite a lot of NM posters seem to think they're still a powerhouse from the 90s which was a long time ago.

The only reason you would be correct on your "tipping" is the likelihood that the poster wasn't around that long ago.

Otherwise, I'd be a bit wary of your "tipping" because he's already being a smartarse and his/your team has achieved significantly less than it did in the decade and a half to 1980.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back