Injury Alex Pearce broken leg

Remove this Banner Ad

Nah I'd take a break over an ACL any day.

I would rather not either mind you.
At least with a break, normally a steelrod is inserted that actually strengthens the bone in the long term. Remember reading Barlow saying something like that. ACL has to be the most complicated, given that it's not always going to prevent another tear such as Morabito and Menzel. Plus the confidence would be shot with your knee given it's so fragile as compared to a broken leg that's normally a 'one-off'. Paul George in NBA had a horrific break but 1-2 years later he is even better then what he was before.

Don't know if inserting a rod is normal practice with a fracture where everything has basically stayed in place.Our resident medicos would know.
But we just don't know about the break itself.
The club hasn't said much that I've read,apart from the fact that's he's had the surgery and Weber saying it's gone well and he's at home and will get back into some form of training in the next week or two.

He's young and strong as a Moose so they've got to be big factors in his favour.

Don't know if inserting a rod is normal practice with a fracture where everything has basically stayed in place.Our resident medicos would know.
But we just don't know about the break itself.
The club hasn't said much that I've read,apart from the fact that's he's had the surgery and Weber saying it's gone well and he's at home and will get back into some form of training in the next week or two.

He's young and strong as a Moose so they've got to be big factors in his favour.

Alex was getting around on crutches after the game where as Barlow was into an ambulance and straight off to hospital. Barlow had a compound fracture with the bottom half of the leg just hanging. Horrific sight and something I will never forget. I have never been able to watch a replay.

Alex was getting around on crutches after the game where as Barlow was into an ambulance and straight off to hospital. Barlow had a compound fracture with the bottom half of the leg just hanging. Horrific sight and something I will never forget. I have never been able to watch a replay.
Probably the craziest thing Ive seen at the footy. When he went to walk sheesh.

Agreed.
Watched Mick's on TV and walked out of the house as he was getting up!
Seen three of them in real life...they don't get prettier.Fib, tib and compound is the nastiest end of the scale..and Micky's is as good as it gets in terms of returning to full fitness.
I'm very optimistic about Moose playing games next season.However without knowing anything about the break it's simply optimism.

I know what you mean. I was sitting on the boundary when Voss broke his. I can remember the sound urgh.

Lot of "Dr Google" crap in this thread that is confusing everyone
The bottom line is this. Barlow did not have a compound fracture, but it was high in the leg, which is generally worse than Pearce's location. All things being equal, Pearce's recovery will be shorter and less complicated
End of story

Lot of "Dr Google" crap
Haven't googled anything and if my post suggested I thought Mick's was a compound I didn't mean it to.
Mick snapped fib and tib and both were displaced and waving about in the wind.We've been told Alex has fractured/broken tib only which is obviously different in kind.

At least with a break, normally a steelrod is inserted that actually strengthens the bone in the long term. Remember reading Barlow saying something like that. ACL has to be the most complicated, given that it's not always going to prevent another tear such as Morabito and Menzel. Plus the confidence would be shot with your knee given it's so fragile as compared to a broken leg that's normally a 'one-off'. Paul George in NBA had a horrific break but 1-2 years later he is even better then what he was before.
Just on the strengthening thing - the bone heals stronger. My concern would be about what happens if the leg was to have a force strong enough to break it with a rod in it - no chance of a clean break.
The rod is titanium (mine was bright green - got it taken out and I asked the doc if I could keep it).

Lot of "Dr Google" crap in this thread that is confusing everyone
The bottom line is this. Barlow did not have a compound fracture, but it was high in the leg, which is generally worse than Pearce's location. All things being equal, Pearce's recovery will be shorter and less complicated
End of story

Why does whether it's high or low matter? Is higher worse because there is more surrounding muscle ie calf?

Why does whether it's high or low matter? Is higher worse because there is more surrounding muscle ie calf?

In simplistic terms the force required to fracture the upper part of the bone is more significant, and it has a higher risk of nonunion. Plus as you say the soft tissue injury is generally greater

Haven't googled anything and if my post suggested I thought Mick's was a compound I didn't mean it to.
Mick snapped fib and tib and both were displaced and waving about in the wind.We've been told Alex has fractured/broken tib only which is obviously different in kind.

Wasn't referring to your post scon
It would though be highly unlikely that Pearce did his tib alone, based on what we saw

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sorry guys, hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm afraid I've stumbled across a very disheartening update re AP.

Sitting in the airport lounge in Melbourne on our way back to Perth after watching the boys epic win on Saturday, casually flicking through the Age, and spotted this...

Screenshot_2017-04-19-19-35-32_1.jpg

:'(

Last edited:
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but I'm afraid I've stumbled across a very disheartening update re AP.

Sitting in the airport lounge in Melbourne on our way back to Perth after watching the boys epic win on Saturday, casually flicking through the Age, and spotted this...

View attachment 359615

:'(
FFS

Great news!! :D

https://thewest.com.au/sport/promising-fremantle-defender-alex-pearce-is-targeting-a-return-next-month

Promising key defender Alex Pearce is targeting a return next month in a significant boost for Fremantle.

The 22-year-old, widely rated as the club’s long-term centre-half-back, is closing in on a training comeback after several setbacks with his broken leg.

Pearce has not played since snapping the tibia in his right leg in a marking contest in round nine last year.
He re-broke the same leg at pre-season training in January and has experienced two infections around where the metal plate was removed, fuelling fears he would miss the entire 2017 season.

But the 200cm key-position player now appears to be approaching the end of a torturous recovery period, with a return to training planned within the next fortnight.
The West Australian understands Pearce is on track to start playing again in the WAFL in four to six weeks.

:thumbsu:

Alex also posted this on his instagram, looks in good nick.

His arms don't look like toothpicks anymore! Hope it's a normal calendar month before his return, and not a Bennell month (4 weeks, 3-4, 3, 2-3, 2, 1-2, 1, 1, 1, 1, test, test, TBC) o_O
Article says Bennell's a fortnight away from WAFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back