Analysis Alex Pearce = Our Josh Bruce?

Remove this Banner Ad

Premise of the thread is a bit weird. Josh Bruce isn't the only person to have changed positions. A Pearce hasn't changed clubs, either.

Our backline is ramshackle and patched together. It's far too all over the place. Good teams like Hawthorn have a good mix of 33-year old veterans, 12-gamers and those 100-gamers. That makes for a good succession plan. Fremantle do not have that.

Realistically Johnson's injuries have hung around for a few seasons now and they're taking longer to overcome. He's also getting pretty close to his natural end as a footballer, so this trend'll continue. Spurr is a little hard nut and has done some great things for us, but we've seen with guys like Barlow that you have to jump on their decline right when it becomes likely. Dawson does something so stupid but then something stellar and un-asked of and is a coach's nightmare. Silva is someone I love but he's old and so prone to getting low on confidence and his game being over as soon as one poor decision or play goes against him.

Realistically we could be going from

Spurr - McPharlin - Sutcliffe
Johnson - Dawson - Ibbotson/Duff

to

Grey - A Pearce - Collins
? - Tanner - Sutcliffe

And realistically this should be in progress by 2017. There's no segue or easing in for these kids. And for defenders, they need time next to experience. A backline that's young will get pillaged so often, they'll lose confidence which is seriously hurtful. Grey learning from Ibbo would be great... but it won't happen...

You take Alex Pearce out of that and jesus christ that backline looks scary, not bad, but... vulnerable.
Its not all doom and gloom, we also have Tucker and Hughes who are both looking promising in their early days and also Ibbo is 29 this year so probably has a few more years in him yet and so does Silvagni and Dawson. Don't forget also that Hill has spent a bit of time on the back flank over the pre season and then also if Mora can get his body right, big if then he adds another dimension also.

If we can pull off getting Hooker and McCarthy in the next off season then our KP stocks are right back up there. a spine in 2017 that you had to pick from Dawson, Slvagni, Collins, Hooker, Pearce, Tabs and McCarthy is pretty good and has a good mix of youth and experience.

Potentially we might be all watching Pierce McCarthy and Hogan all in our future forward line with Sonny Bennel and Fyfe cameos in the Near future. Collins Hooker Tucker and Ubergang holding down the defence. We wont win a flag this year but bouncing back into contention wont be far away with our midfield stocks and smart trades.

I see Tanner Smith more as our potential "Josh Bruce" type.

I agree - lets just see how he goes for peel over the next few weeks in the forward line - Just hope he gets played there.

That reminds me of James Clement how he played forward for us went to pies and became all Australian defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back