Toast Alex Pearce the defender

Remove this Banner Ad

Pearce adds the potential for speedy run and carry as well as stopping...In the McPharlin/Rance kind of mold.
For a guy who is 20cm, he is quick and agile
Hamling is more your pure stopper
He'll struggle on some of the taller forwards...

I have to eat a bit of humble pie. I thought he would need to play a few games at Peel before he was ready to go at AFL level, but I think he showed on the weekend he will be very much ready to rock and roll come round 1. I doubt he'll get through every game, but I'd play him in burst of games with a week or two break in between until he gets back to full fitness.

Huge plus for the defence.

I have to eat a bit of humble pie. I thought he would need to play a few games at Peel before he was ready to go at AFL level, but I think he showed on the weekend he will be very much ready to rock and roll come round 1. I doubt he'll get through every game, but I'd play him in burst of games with a week or two break in between until he gets back to full fitness.

A backline of:
Logue, Hamling Hughes
Wilson Pearce Ryan

Is ideal.
Stopping and mobility and great disposal

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has to play round 1 now imo. He looks ready and he is the guy we need to build the defence around. Hamling at full back won't need to hold down our defence solo anymore. Logue and Hughes to play tall or small as required. And Wilson, Ryan and Blakely as the half backs providing a good variety of ball winning, kicking and running ability. I'd have those 7 play as many games as possible together this year.

MJ and Spurr to be injury cover and provide leadership and guidance off the field. Cox as swingman KPD backup and Nyhuis similarly as depth if required. Carter added to the mix at HB next season and draft/rookie a KPD prospect at end of year. Really like how our list profile is looking in regard to the back line.

Has to play round 1 now imo. He looks ready and he is the guy we need to build the defence around. Hamling at full back won't need to hold down our defence solo anymore. Logue and Hughes to play tall or small as required. And Wilson, Ryan and Blakely as the half backs providing a good variety of ball winning, kicking and running ability. I'd have those 7 play as many games as possible together this year.

MJ and Spurr to be injury cover and provide leadership and guidance off the field. Cox as swingman KPD backup and Nyhuis similarly as depth if required. Carter added to the mix at HB next season and draft/rookie a KPD prospect at end of year. Really like how our list profile is looking in regard to the back line.
Don't forget this guy, Ross said he was very close to a debut last year before getting injured. Could play on smalls or talls ala Shane Parker.

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-1_11-47-3.png
    upload_2018-3-1_11-47-3.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 95
Don't forget this guy, Ross said he was very close to a debut last year before getting injured. Could play on smalls or talls ala Shane Parker.
I was his buddy last season :) We've been playing him on a wing more recently. He goes ok in defence but his height and speed gives us something different on the wing to.other options. Hughes and Nyhuis are better defenders and also have height and speed. They could all be versatile imo. I wouldn't even mind seeing Ethan tried in the forward line because he is a really strong mark, runs all day and has good speed. Nyhuis did well on debut with no forward line experience so who knows? I hope Taylin gets to debut this year though. Lots of competition for spots which is great.

I was his buddy last season :) We've been playing him on a wing more recently. He goes ok in defence but his height and speed gives us something different on the wing to.other options. Hughes and Nyhuis are better defenders and also have height and speed. They could all be versatile imo. I wouldn't even mind seeing Ethan tried in the forward line because he is a really strong mark, runs all day and has good speed. Nyhuis did well on debut with no forward line experience so who knows? I hope Taylin gets to debut this year though. Lots of competition for spots which is great.
Yep, more competition is always a good thing. I think the advantage Taylin has is his versatility, and I have seen him played from deep defence to the wing (not forward that I can remember). He is apparently 193cm now which is a good size in comparison to Nyhuis (188) and Hughes (187) so could play on taller forwards, although not the gorillas for obvious reasons.

We are developing a cadre of very versatile footballers who are also in a very good age bracket :thumbsu:

Omg I'm super pumped to see how well AP & Hamling perform together this year.
Me too! Mouth-watering... :)

Pearce adds the potential for speedy run and carry as well as stopping...In the McPharlin/Rance kind of mold.
For a guy who is 20cm, he is quick and agile
Hamling is more your pure stopper

I think Hamling adds more than just being a stopper. More than a few times last year I watched him and thought, geez it's like having a McPharlin clone out there. He's adding a lot more strings to his bow as he matures. Contested marking; intercept marking; the big spoil; PLUS some dash. Think you're underselling him a bit by saying he's a pure stopper. Just IMO.

More than a few times last year I watched him and thought, geez it's like having a McPharlin clone out there. He's adding a lot more strings to his bow as he matures.
Yes - it's amazing to think he's only played 44 AFL games.

Our whole defence is very inexperienced and should all come on in leaps and bounds this year...

Thought the thread needed a bump

Urmahgawd is he good. Is almost impossible to beat 1 on 1 and even when he's out of a contest he finds ways to spoil with incredible closing speed and ridiculous reach.

The AA position for KPDs is seriously tight this year but if he plays like this all year he'll be damn close

The game that annoys me the most is that GWS one where Cameron kicked 4 of the shittest goals. As one of the podcasts said, "if theres a way to kick 4 goals and be soundly beaten, that was it"

I would love for someone to put together a highlights package of him just destroying Tex today

Urmahgawd is he good. Is almost impossible to beat 1 on 1 and even when he's out of a contest he finds ways to spoil with incredible closing speed and ridiculous reach.

The AA position for KPDs is seriously tight this year but if he plays like this all year he'll be damn close

The game that annoys me the most is that GWS one where Cameron kicked 4 of the shittest goals. As one of the podcasts said, "if theres a way to kick 4 goals and be soundly beaten, that was it"

I would love for someone to put together a highlights package of him just destroying Tex today
So good. Hes not super skillful by hand or foot but the way he uses his body first in the act of defending and then the way he turns it into attack is super elite. So powerful and explosive

Loved how he destroyed Texas. Filthy smug think he is great at AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back