Toast Alex Pearce

Remove this Banner Ad

Our offence certainly looks far less one dimensional when Moose is running around. Just taking contested marks and pumping them in deeper is worth persisting with, even without a big goal haul. For this weekend, if we can just get enough possession in the middle and pump it forward then Moose should be able to really cause the Wiggles a problem.

A bit of context for:
a) Taberner derision; and
b) Pearce's astonishing progress as KF in 1.5 games there

Anyone have the respective stats for Taberner?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2015/08/13/hogan-already-hero/

Taberner average .81 contested marks and .88 goals per game (26 games). When you take into consideration that he has played back, and has been subbed out multiple time it looks pretty good compared to everyone else but Hogan.

Hogan averages 2+ in both

Taberner average .81 contested marks and .88 goals per game (26 games). When you take into consideration that he has played back, and has been subbed out multiple time it looks pretty good compared to everyone else but Hogan.

Hogan averages 2+ in both
Another pre season for both Taberner and A Pearce with more bulk and more stamina - we could have succession planning in place :thumbsu:

You have to take some positives from a derby loss and for me it was AP's performance.
Last year in the WAFL I saw Josh Hill put 2m on him in a sprint over 30m. It had me thinking that whilst he looks quick, maybe he lacks a metre or 2 of pace, even taking his height into account. Yesterday he was involved in a couple of sprints for a loose ball and either stuck with them or put a metre on them. I thought that was incredibly encouraging. Then in some of the one on one marking contests with Darling he held his ground really well and even once, when it looked like he'd been worked under the ball, he managed to turn and get a fist on the ball Dustin Fletcher style. Wow.
It was disappointing to see Sinclair take a mark in front of him in the 3rd qtr, every time AP was opposed to Sinclair in the WAFL he towelled him up, but he won't win every contest. The thing I like about AP in the forward line is that he looks even more dangerous when the ball hits the ground than he does with the ball in the air. It's a shame he missed that snap in the first qtr.
As highly as I regard him, it looks like he's even better than I thought he was.

You have to take some positives from a derby loss and for me it was AP's performance.
Last year in the WAFL I saw Josh Hill put 2m on him in a sprint over 30m. It had me thinking that whilst he looks quick, maybe he lacks a metre or 2 of pace, even taking his height into account. Yesterday he was involved in a couple of sprints for a loose ball and either stuck with them or put a metre on them. I thought that was incredibly encouraging. Then in some of the one on one marking contests with Darling he held his ground really well and even once, when it looked like he'd been worked under the ball, he managed to turn and get a fist on the ball Dustin Fletcher style. Wow.
It was disappointing to see Sinclair take a mark in front of him in the 3rd qtr, every time AP was opposed to Sinclair in the WAFL he towelled him up, but he won't win every contest. The thing I like about AP in the forward line is that he looks even more dangerous when the ball hits the ground than he does with the ball in the air. It's a shame he missed that snap in the first qtr.
As highly as I regard him, it looks like he's even better than I thought he was.

Agreed, he was excellent when he was back yesterday.

I think he was a little out of depth fwd though. As young key fwds generally are with poor delivery & decent defenders. Nothing to worry about though.

I
I think you underestimate josh hills pace, in the first derby he ran 100metres and caught our hill just after he got the kick away, this was during that brilliant running goal by our hill. AP is very quick for a KP

I

I think you underestimate josh hills pace, in the first derby he ran 100metres and caught our hill just after he got the kick away, this was during that brilliant running goal by our hill. AP is very quick for a KP
Yep, I've clearly underestimated the pace of both players.
I actually bumped this thread because of what RTB said about AP in the presser and I forgot to mention it. It was something along the lines of. "Alex Pearce went back and was super, that kid. He's gonna be a pretty good player for us." When you compare that to his underwhelming response to Mundy's goal against Richmond it seems to be unusually high and public praise from The Boss, although he is full of contradictions in his pressers.

Here's your time AP. No Pav. Macca & Zac back in with Johno down back as well. Great opportunity & think he'll do great . Time will tell but I'm confident Moose will do the job without having to go back to fix problems early down back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My worry is who will be the true muscle in the forward line.
from the looks of it I'd say that Pearce and Clarke are going to be our KPF. That's a worry

I would probably prefer to keep Sandi in the cage the whole game and let Clarke and Griffin share the ruck duties for the day. At least you know that Sandi is going to bring the ball to the ground for Walters and Crozier

from the looks of it I'd say that Pearce and Clarke are going to be our KPF. That's a worry

I would probably prefer to keep Sandi in the cage the whole game and let Clarke and Griffin share the ruck duties for the day. At least you know that Sandi is going to bring the ball to the ground for Walters and Crozier

This is the opportunity to play crozier a full game at forward line. I remember that goal he kicked from 50m line.

Play sandi in square swap with griffin - Walters in around him - Pearce and Dead Eye Dick at CHF FOR PRESSURE.

This is the opportunity to play crozier a full game at forward line. I remember that goal he kicked from 50m line.

Play sandi in square swap with griffin - Walters in around him - Pearce and Dead Eye Dick at CHF FOR PRESSURE.

Quite possible with Mzungu playing the sub due to an average game (have given up suggestion DeBoer)

How awesome was that! You could see how much it meant to him in the post match interview.

It would be freaking incredible if he's gets a good run at it, everything crossed for the bloke. Makes us a far stronger team and fixes one of our biggest weaknesses, how many times have we lost lately on the back of a key forward dominating us?

I was in the camp of cut your losses, I thought he’d come back a shadow of himself. I’ll never doubt this bloke again. What a return!

I understood the frustration but you only have to look at Bennell and Morabito to see that clubs don’t cut seriously talented players until they’re beyond broken.

For me the key differences were repeated injuries to the same part of the body vs. injuries in general and also the fact the amount of games Pearce has played in the last four years is probably around ten times that of Morabito and Bennell. It’s not overly comparable.

The guy is seriously elite - getting him right is like adding an elite player for absolutely nothing. We’ll cut every other injury prone player on our list before we cut Alex Pearce.

No offence to Hamling and Cox but I think a lot on here forgot how good he is. He’s legit the best 1on1 key defender in the comp. he makes our defense and our attack sooo much better. Defense because you don’t need to make it a 1v2 to stop a contested mark and attack because you can be more aggressive knowing him and Luke Ryan are behind you. Absolutely pivotal we can keep him on the park

Remove this Banner Ad

Back