Analysis Alex Pearce

Defender or Forward?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 16, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
So this will depend some what on retirements but where do you want Alex to be playing and why? We seem fairly divided on this so I thought it would be good to see the split and some reasoning behind people's decision.

Personally I think he should be Macca's replacement. If Macca retires then Dawson isn't going anywhere so we need more skilled ball users down back who can run the ball out as well as defend 1on1. He also played his best games this year down back. Just needs to put on some more muscle in off season to help deal with the bigger forwards.

Given how creative Pearce has the potential to be with those sideways shimmies through traffic, the leaf dodging the river running by him maneuver, I think it might be a waste for him to be minding the opposition best forward.

I don't know if he will have the physical or mental energy in the short term to contribute in both aspects (defensive and creative), in the long term I think definitely but next year I see him as a Dawson upgrade.

He's a defender who can swing forward to catch teams off guard. He took Darling to the cleaners in the 2nd derby when Darling looked like he was Carey Jnr.

He's not the answer to our forward line woes. Our forward line solution is: McCarthy, Pav (he was moving great last night), Fyfe/Bennell, Walters, Ballas and luey/Sandi. Done.

Dawson will be in the team next year, but age has caught him. His reaction time was slow at best.

I think he is a FB but hes the guy who has the size, long arms and as he builds out hopefully the build to play on the monsters. Hes good overhead and in contested situations. He seems like he has a lot of nous when to try and mark and when to spoil. So there is dexterity there but I see him as a fletcher style full back except taller

I'd actually plonk him at CHB and put Tanner Smith at FB and run with it.
Make that the base to build around. Johnson, Ibbotson, Spurr and a Ethan Hughes/Brady Grey to fill it out.
Not a bad Idea. My Theory is... Johnson and Dawson occupy the 2 key defenders post for next season. Rotate Alex Pearce and Tanner smith need to play 10 games each. Actually Repeat that tactic until 2017. By 2018, Alex Pearce will have 30 games under the belt aking 1 full back. Tanner smith has 20 games under belt and plays CHB.

I didn't vote because I think he can be both depending on the opposition and who else we have available.

But he can play and will be a good replacement for Macca or playing the role that Tabs had last night.

I'd actually plonk him at CHB and put Tanner Smith at FB and run with it.

Make that the base to build around. Johnson, Ibbotson, Spurr and a Ethan Hughes/Brady Grey to fill it out.

Yep, that's what needs to happen. Pearce and Smith in for Dawson and McPharlin. Let those two develop and play under Johnson while they still can.

Problem with our current or prospective defence stocks is a lack of dare and creativity. I hate to say it but Eagles have found a backline that works through bad luck... Wellington Sheppard Hurn Yeo (most of the time down back) Schofield all provide drive and creativity out of the back. A unfit Johnson and Hill not setting it up, and we're cooked. Really hope that Sheridan, Sutcliffe and Pearce give us that next year with spurr and ibbotson in their normal roles... Somebody else stepping up also... Who knows

Alex will adapt to wherever he is playing. His move forward was not something that was planned - he would have had nil preparation to play that position.
He played forward as a junior and his first season of senior footy in Tassie but as Ross eluded to in his aftermatch interview, it takes up to 4 years to become a consistent contributor in this position. (He was talking about Taberner)
As a back he has rarely been beaten even though he has had some niggling injuries. Earlier on he missed games because of a 'bruised back" which is club talk for cracked ribs. I'm sure he will play the whole season as a key back next year.
I have read on this forum about Dawsons poor disposal - I have witnessed it both at Peel and in the seniors. His kicking his very average.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is more MJ replacement. That is the conundrum. At this stage I would go with Lach's option. We have shown we are just off the pace so need to take the opportunity to tweak.

I really think that the best strategy is build defense by improving midfield. And we are ready for that, especially if Bennell comes. But even so the higher skill levels available from our emerging players will improve us with another preseason under their belts.

I actually don't think he is an MJ replacement - MJ is intercept, break the lines a bit with some side stepping and reasonably good rebound kicking. Whilst Pearce can do the first two he looks average or below in terms of field kicking. Pearce also has speed on his side which allows him to match up well on most forwards and has developed some defence experience at WAFL level.

Going forward is an option but again his goal kicking is not great and I would rather consolidate what he is good at (and confident) then try and re-train him for another position (Granted he played forward when he was a junior).

I see photos on Freo Webb, Alex in Europe with Clarke not in photo, deboer, tabs, Moller.

If Hurley, Gibson and McGovern all nominate Freo in the next few days then Pearce can play forward, otherwise I'd much rather see him be a part of reestablishing our backline as one of the best in the comp.

i can see AP and Sos playing fb and chb for many years to come, hopefully no dawson
but can we play Pearce/Johnno/SOS in the same 22 ?

Sutcliffe Pearce Spurr
Ibbo Silvagni Jonhson

I'd be looking at Dawson playing the Silvagni role: break glass in case of emergency
Dawson cant kick and refuses to, such a liability
if he was awesome at one on ones then you could let that slide, btu as i see it, the only thing Dawson is good at is punching the ball out of bounds

Back