Not-a-cluey Alex Rance to leave the Tigers

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you can find your source I'd be interested to read that. So you can essentially buy anyone's contract out if you wish to do so? That would essentially mean no club in the AFL is capped out out of signing a free agent.

They bought out his contract for this year and 2016 and paid it towards this years cap, what dont you understand about that

Sabbatical next year then start a family the following. (courtesy of Terry Wallet, mates with Murray Rance) Seems like this might be a possibility god help us. :mad: Unprecedented I believe. Will no longer be respectful to jw if it's the case :p

Sabbatical next year then start a family the following. (courtesy of Terry Wallet, mates with Murray Rance) Seems like this might be a possibility god help us. :mad: Unprecedented I believe. Will no longer be respectful to jw if it's the case :p
Shocking if true, club should be held accountable for this blunder.. we will not get any compensation if this eventuates..

What sort of compensation do you think you would get. The guy would be retiring from football.
My reply was rushed, I was thinking in my head at worst I hope he gets picked up by another club, and does not retire, as we will get compensated via draft picks.

Quote from afl.com.au

"Sylvia had another year to run on a lucrative three-year deal. It is understood that the club has negotiated a partial payment to Sylvia in 2015 and no payments in 2016. It is understood, as per any other retirement, he will not be listed in 2016 and no payments will go towards the Dockers' salary cap."
As per any retirement, the swans will not have buddys contract included in their cap.

Reckon the swans caught a wiff of this and git straight on the phone with the afl for some clarification.

It reminds me of that hell funny time whe the afl banned us from recruiting players because we used a mechanism that was instututed by the afl and voted on by all clubs

There's sufficient evidence, such as continually failing to meet minimum fitness standards and storming off in the middle of last week's WAFL match with "concussion", to show that Sylvia had materially breached his contract.

This would explain why Fremantle was able to move quickly to get rid of him and only pay him for a portion of this year, and why payments contracted for 2016 would be automatically voided.

No reason why buddy cant skip a couple of training sessions at the pointy end of his career. The sooner the afl learns that they cannot make rules up on the fly the better. This sylvia situation causes a major risk to the afl's free agency. If the ruke clearly states that any retirement will bot be included in the cap,expect to see alot of 10 year deals bandied about. The afl circus continues to roll on

No reason why buddy cant skip a couple of training sessions at the pointy end of his career. The sooner the afl learns that they cannot make rules up on the fly the better. This sylvia situation causes a major risk to the afl's free agency. If the ruke clearly states that any retirement will bot be included in the cap,expect to see alot of 10 year deals bandied about. The afl circus continues to roll on
If Sylvia was sacked for non-performance then it has absolutely nothing to do with free agency and everything to do with contract law.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Will be very hard to prove. If the afl allow sylvias money to be left out of the cap,alot of clubs will be paying attention. The floodgates will open
Sylvia's situation is unique, if true, in that he refused to play out a game, which was fast on the heels of his persistent failure to meet physical standards. So there were instances of specific non-performance (breaches of contract), resulting in the extinguishing of the contract and all existing (including 2016) obligations. Here, the AFL could not meaningfully intervene even if they wished to, or force part of the payout to be included in 2016.

Contrast that with Jack Anthony who near the end of 2012 wanted to stay for the final year of his contract but was unwanted. Here the parties continued to negotiate under the AFL's framework and, because Jack had not breached any clauses in his contract, he is believed to have received a substantial whack of his 2013 contracted payments. Whether all or part of this was included in 2012 or 2013 would have depended on Fremantle's TPP at the time.

As per any retirement, the swans will not have buddys contract included in their cap.

Reckon the swans caught a wiff of this and git straight on the phone with the afl for some clarification.

It reminds me of that hell funny time whe the afl banned us from recruiting players because we used a mechanism that was instututed by the afl and voted on by all clubs
This is not what the AFL has said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ith-sydney-swans/story-fnca0u4y-1226735040717

The AFL has to sign off on all deals so no doubt, the Swans also agreed to the contract coming off the cap if he retired.

The difference between Buddy and Colin is that Buddy was a restricted free agent while Colin was not. Therefore, length of contract had no implication in him getting to Freo so only the salary cap paid to Colin needs to go into the cap.

The other factor is COLA, Sydney appeared to do the deal since they could see the writing on the wall with it coming to an end. Quick, spend up big before you lose your credit card.

Only time will tell if the AFL will hold their promise or if they were just talking tough to appease the other teams at the time.

Shocking if true, club should be held accountable for this blunder.. we will not get any compensation if this eventuates..
Really? I hold the club accountable for a lot but for this?
What have they done wrong? How have they poorly managed this? If he retires due to religious/faith reasons, what were they meant to do to avoid this?
Ask every draftee how likely they are to retire in their mid 20s to pursue their faith?

If he retires for religion, that's just unlucky for us. Nothing we could really do to avoid that.

This is not what the AFL has said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...ith-sydney-swans/story-fnca0u4y-1226735040717

The AFL has to sign off on all deals so no doubt, the Swans also agreed to the contract coming off the cap if he retired.

The difference between Buddy and Colin is that Buddy was a restricted free agent while Colin was not. Therefore, length of contract had no implication in him getting to Freo so only the salary cap paid to Colin needs to go into the cap.

The other factor is COLA, Sydney appeared to do the deal since they could see the writing on the wall with it coming to an end. Quick, spend up big before you lose your credit card.

Only time will tell if the AFL will hold their promise or if they were just talking tough to appease the other teams at the time.
Cola is irrelevent. It was a tool put in place by the afl and voted in by all clubs. Because we used a tool that was given to us we are to be punished?

Cola is irrelevent. It was a tool put in place by the afl and voted in by all clubs. Because we used a tool that was given to us we are to be punished?
COLA is relevant as it was talked about at length after Tippett. The writing was on the wall that it was on the way out or going to be scaled back. You guys jumped before it happened.

It wasn't the only factor, but it was definitely part of the deal logic.

Sounds like Nathan Ablett mk2

Somewhat. Has been a better player than N Ablett, although he probably still had some developing to go if he was going to reach his peak. Ablett still has that premiership medallion somewhere though, which Rance won't have if he retires this year.

Really? I hold the club accountable for a lot but for this?
What have they done wrong? How have they poorly managed this? If he retires due to religious/faith reasons, what were they meant to do to avoid this?
Ask every draftee how likely they are to retire in their mid 20s to pursue their faith?

If he retires for religion, that's just unlucky for us. Nothing we could really do to avoid that.
I ment to say they should be held accountable for him leaving as an unrestricted free agent if he does indeed move to another club.

Somewhat. Has been a better player than N Ablett, although he probably still had some developing to go if he was going to reach his peak. Ablett still has that premiership medallion somewhere though, which Rance won't have if he retires this year.
he won't be retiring though, taking a year off more like it, then sign with a W.A side..

The millions of dollar he would be forgoing would be a good reason why Buddy might not want to skip a couple of training sessions.

I see your point about clubs exploiting a loop hole, but it would require the club to put a lot of faith into a player who was recently the enemy.

The millions of dollar he would be forgoing would be a good reason why Buddy might not want to skip a couple of training sessions.

I see your point about clubs exploiting a loop hole, but it would require the club to put a lot of faith into a player who was recently the enemy.
Look mate ur getting on now,how bout you forgo the last million of your contract and retire..but we have just had a development coach role open up wouldnt you believe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back