Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Sexton246.jpg

DOB: 3 December 1993
Height: 185cm
Weight 71kg

Signed in August :thumbsu:

GOLD Coast has committed to signing 17-year-old Alex Sexton as a Queensland zone selection at the 2011 NAB AFL Draft.

The Suns have signed the 185cm midfielder/forward to a three-year contract rather than the standard two-year deal offered to most draftees.

Sexton is a member of the AFL/AIS Academy and has been a supplementary list player at AFLQ club Redland and a Suns reserves top-up player this season.

He toured Europe with the Academy squad earlier this year, won the Alan McLean Medal as the division two best and fairest and the Queensland MVP at last year's under-16 national championships, and was a Queensland under-18 representative this year.

Gold Coast list manager Scott Clayton said Sexton had been on the club's radar since his standout performance at the 2010 under-16 national carnival.

"Alex looks a real player, we have been thrilled with the way he has developed, and his football has continued to impress us," Clayton said.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/121692/default.aspx

Kevin Sheehan, AFL Talent Manager, was glowing in his tribute of the classy half forward/midfielder’s performance at the national carnival, held at Blacktown Stadium, West Sydney.

“He had a wonderful championships and he looks a real player,” Sheehan said of Sexton, whose medal win saw him follow in the footsteps fellow Queenslanders Michael Osborne (1998), Adam Hall (2003), Daniel Dzufer (2004), Declan Bevan (2007) and Jackson Allen (2009), AFL luminaries Adam Schneider (2000), Jarrad McVeigh and Raphael Clarke (2001), Richard Tambling (2002), Craig Bird (2005) and gun Gold Coast signing Maverick Weller (2008).

“His composure, his attack on the footy, his speed, his kicking under pressure, his ability to kick goals when they really counted in the final game, his work through the midfield … he just glides over the ground beautifully,” Sheahan said.

“He’s got all the attributes. And at 185cm he’s that lovely size who you’d thing is going to develop into a perfect midfielder for AFL.”

http://www.aflq.com.au/index.php?id=5&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=170&tx_ttnews%5BbackPid%5D=4&cHash=fa7d23dadf

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
Fyfe was the comparison that stood out to me the most. Been a week or 2 since I've watched any footy so it's a bit hard to draw comparisons between him and other players, so I'm struggling a bit. D:

If one comes to mind I'll let you know. :)

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
No worries - if Alex reminded you of Fyfe on first impressions sounds good to me. Not having seen him play I was just trying to picture how he would fit into our side and what he could add. Looking forward to seeing him on the park next year.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
376085_10150363705255509_68462865508_8595227_1176414627_n.jpg

Picture of Sexy (far left) from Arizona. From that image alone, he's bulked up a little bit since I saw him last in the reserves.

edit: fairly sure that's alex. doesn't resemble anyone else.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Seems to be showing more with each week of the NAB Cup. Still a little quiet, but is certainly building the more he plays.

NAB round 3:

If I can draw one major positive from the second half, I will just point you all in the direction of Alex Sexton :thumbsu: Kid is class!

Final stats: On in Q3. 6 kicks, 1 handball, 2 marks. Kicked 1.0.

Jul 21, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Philadelphia 76ers
So after seeing him play a few games so far, am I close in my suggestion he plays similarly to Fyfe? He kinda seems like the running wingman sort, and I hope we see more of him in the season.

Jun 10, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Not worth the risk, he has just turned 18 with Jaeger. Let those 2 develop together this year in the 2's. They have both had their taste of AFL footy, nurse and develop them through the reserves. No need to throw him to the wolves, while theres plenty of others with a season under the belt.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I believe Sexton is a year older than O'Meara, but you're right. Damn, I keep forgetting how young some of our kids are! Even though he played in our 2s last year, still very young.

Certainly no rush for someone of his position, but what I've seen so far certainly has justified his zone selection. Can't wait until he develops a little more. From what I've seen though, I can already agree with comments about how he glides across the ground on the wing. Seems very nimble and quick. Running on air, as it were!

Hope he puts on another 5 to 10 kgs, taking him up 80 or so. Great weight for someone his size and position.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Superstars in the making.
Courier Mail. Thursday, March 22, 2012.
Andrew Hamilton & Damian Stannard.

For kids talented enough to be considered as professional footballers, draft day can crush you or give you wings.

Every November dozens of teenagers hold their breath and hope their name is announced in the AFL's meat market that delivers the next wave of potential stars.

Those talented few can lose days of sleep wondering which club will read out their name, or worse, agonise whether they will get the green light at all.

Alex Sexton did it easy.

The Queenslander knew months in advance his skills and passion would not only lead to a career but also deliver him to his chosen club.

Sexton was officially taken at pick No.88 in the talent lottery but had already been squirrelled away by the Gold Coast Suns as one of their zone selections.

The Suns have zone access to up to five Queenslanders until the end of this year.

His recruitment to the Coast came as a huge relief.

"I definitely didn't have to go through all the stress of going to the draft and not knowing if you'll get picked up by a club or where you'll go," Sexton said. "I was stoked that I didn't have to do all that and that I got to go to the club I wanted. It was a real weight lifted off my shoulders."

Sexton's recruitment was a coup for the Suns.

Had he entered the draft, Sexton was considered a definite first-round pick and could have been in the top 10.

The AFL's national talent manager Kevin Sheehan said he was "a natural" and a standout for Queensland at the 2010 under-16 Australian championships.

The 18-year-old moved from Reservoir, noth of Melbourne, to Mt Cotton with his family four years ago.

While many of his classmates lived and breathed footy, Sexton did not consider a career in the game until after the shift to Queensland.

"I never really though about it when I was in Melbourne," Sexton said.

"I loved playing footy and had some mates who wanted to go down that path.

But I played every sport. I was playing basketball and cricket as well.

It wasn't 'til I got to Brisbane that I started playing in some rep sides.

It wasn't a huge dream for me then but it became that way when we moved to Queensland."

Sexton was already known to Gold Coast Recruiter Scott Clayton after spending pre-season 2011 at the club.

Since his arrival at the Suns, the midfielder has won the approval of the man that matters, coach Guy McKenna.

He smashed his teammates at the club's 2km time trial in his first month a a Sun.

"He is a fearless competitor," McKenna said of the 185cm whippet.

Having added some bulk to his frame, he made his debit in the Suns' NAB Cup beating from the Cats and is rated as ready made for senior football.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Sexton credits Spingwood Pumas

The 18-year-old signed a three year contract with the GC SUNS as its zone selection last year and made his AFL debut against the Brisbane Lions in the NAB Cup earlier this month.

Sexton, who moved from Melbourne to Shailer Park in 2008, admitted he wasn't going to return to the game after making the trip to Queensland.

"I was ready to give up AFL when I came to Queensland and didn't know what I wanted to do," Sexton said.

"I was in two minds and wasn't going to come here and jump into it after starting at a new school but my cousin and heaps of mates were already playing so it got me keen to start straight away."

The decision has proven to be fruitful for the 185cm midfielder who has been labelled as one of the country's best upcoming players.

Since his two year tenure at the Springwood Pumas Sexton has represented Queensland in both the under-16 and under-18 teams and won the Alan McLean Medal as the division two best and fairest and the Queensland most valuable player at the 2010 NAB Australian under-16 Championships and in 2011.

He also toured Europe with the AIS/AFL Academy squad last year.

Sexton said while he will cherish the moment he made his debut for the GC SUNS forever, his time at the Pumas will always be one of his favourite memories.

"It was the best experience at that football club playing with my mates and it has great people there," Sexton said.

Sexton said he has grown accustomed to playing with the likes of Gary Ablett and Karmichael Hunt.

"I think it is a bigger deal with other people outside the team," Sexton said.

"When I first came to the club I was a bit star struck but now they are just my friends and team mates who play their role."

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Sexton appeal for Suns fans.

1_TR070312MW_3462.jpg

However he said it was a move from the midfield to defence in recent weeks that had helped his game improve.

"A lot of players can attack and want to attack, and it's just a mindset I've got to start getting now to play both ways and that's been a huge focus at the club," he said.

"It was a surprise when I went back but I love it down there now, you can really adapt your game down there."

Maybe they're going to play him off the HB flank in a Gibbs sort of role? Very exciting for him. :D

ajsuperstar

Team Captain
May 12, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
What's happening with Alex? with extremely highly touted when he was drafted and no sign of him this year. Still getting the body to AFL standard? Too much competition for spots? or just not that great of a footballer than we thought?

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
I think his body has definitely come on, but he's just not setting the world on fire in the 2s. Unfortunately for him, the days of just rotating youngsters through are gone. You really have to earn your sport in the senior side, and Sexton has yet to really put the string of performances in across the 2s to really do that yet.

footymaad

Team Captain
Sep 28, 2010
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Morningside Panthers
Jury still out on Alex I think. Dominant at under 16 championships in 2010 which lead to AIS and ultimately being drafted, but did play as overage player that year which no doubt gave him an advantage that year. Following year didn't really have a great under 18 championships, thought partly due to injury, and I suspect maybe partly as suns had already committed to him as a local pick - some who played with him that year didnt think his intensity that year was at the level it could have been. Then injury / hip surgery finishing his first season early.

Was interested to see him playing some of time in backline yesterday. Someone told me been happening a bit this year - presumably coaches trying to improve the defensive side of his game. Guess he needs to improve what the coaching staff see as his deficits and start dominating in the 2's before he gets considered for seniors.

Mar 18, 2011
Everett
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
New England Patriots
Anyone else think he's having an undereated year? He's developing well and getting confidence to take the game on. And kicking goals.

Suddenly he looks like he has a place in the starting 22.

Could become a very damaging mid in terms of meters gained as he gets more games under his belt.

Jun 10, 2011
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Anyone else think he's having an undereated year? He's developing well and getting confidence to take the game on. And kicking goals.

Suddenly he looks like he has a place in the starting 22.

Could become a very damaging mid in terms of meters gained as he gets more games under his belt.

Not a big fan personally, I think he is a poor decision maker.

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Another from the vault. A teenage Alex Sexton back when he was playing junior footy for the Springwood Pumas.

kPz5QME.jpg

SA9HAMo.jpg

Back