Toast Alex Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

Should be kept on the list, he's offers more in the new era of footy than Dawson does and we need good depth on our playing list.

Going into next year, if our KPD's are going to be Pearce and Collins for all games that they're available, I'd rather depth be Silvagni than Dawson.

But MJ is the best of them and has another year left on his contract, Dawson I would happily cut but also has another year left. Only SNOS is out of contract and he has shown he should not be the one to go and will cost peanuts to keep. I would be happy telling Dawson he will have limited opportunities and could look elsewhere but would any club take him in a trade? Maybe Hawthorn will take him back! :drunk:

He's right in the norf sweet spot? I dunno, it sucks. Dawson just doesn't fit with 2016 style football and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Johnson can't manage over 10 games

His last 2 weeks have been great but over the last couple of seasons his body has been poor. If he is medically sound then I would keep him
That's the thing. 51 games since start of 2010. Hardly fit. But if he can get a proper pre season and injury-free, he would be perfect as a lockdown defender. Franklin and Tippett he has dominated, and we all know he definitely should've played on Kennedy last week..

They are looking to trade Subes and Ballas. I don't think Johnson and Zac D would have any currency so they would have to pay them out to delist them.
Then keep johnson and pay zac d.i think suban will stay to captain peel next year ;), safe me a trip to mandurah to support peel.

Last edited:
I would have said the same until the talk started turning towards Suban and Ballas who are also contracted.
RTB hasn't said Suban was going he just mentioned that he has had to go down during this season to enable the kids to play. Fyfey would want Subes to stay given his Brownlow medal speech comments.

Last edited:
What's the need for your negativity cant you just take RTB at his word.

I did take his word. 'Silvagni has done himself no harm'. Yeah we can conclude he means to play on next year with Fremantle, but he didn't exactly say that did he?

Not negative. Just realistic. He preaches effort and where's Barlow's contract? Where's Deboer's recalls at? Plays one game, does his job and gets dropped back to the WAFL.

When you listen to Ross you need to listen to Ross. His talking up Clarke is nauseating, if you don't think he'd do the same for Silvagni you've been mislead in how Ross operates.

Here's my question to you.

Would a club who is likely to offer a player a contract talk up a player more or less then if they were thinking of trading them?

I still truly believe Nicholls might be on the out and Eade sang his praises for the first time ever last weekend.

Coincidence? We'll wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have faith being suspicious of what Ross says isn't worth worrying about.

That's the thing. 51 games since start of 2010. Hardly fit. But if he can get a proper pre season and injury-free, he would be perfect as a lockdown defender. Franklin and Tippett he has dominated, and we all know he definitely should've played on Kennedy last week..

His low games number is deceiving though. For good part of that time he's been fit, but overlooked, sometimes rightly but usually placed behind Dawson who, though he has that bit more hight and proven ability to take the gorilla fwd, I rate SCOS as a more rounded and capable player. More recently (last couple of years), he really has become injury prone, but still it's usually at the wrong time (i.e. when he would likely have got games). Like I said above, its more been about dumb luck than anything with Silva.

Last edited:
I think you mean when.

MJ is basically done, I think counting on him is folly. Dawson's game is borderline useful in the modern game, though I'd still have him in certain games like the one we just played. AP might be tracking OK now, but how well is he going to start the year is still unknown.

Further, SCOS would have very little to no trade value. With that in mind, he's is good value for us right now.

Really disagree with this.
The only reason we would trade Alex is because other clubs can see high value in him. ( high picks ).
That pretty much sums up the rationale in trading Michael Barlow too.
Both players should be retained on talent alone, putting aside any sentiment such as being loyal servants and popular figures around the club.

Last edited:
His low games number is deceiving though. For good part of that time he's been fit, but overlooked, sometimes rightly but usually placed behind Dawson who, though he has that bit more hight and proven ability to take the gorilla fwd, I rate SCOS as a more rounded and capable player. More recently (last couple of years), he really has become injury prone, but still it's usually at the wrong time (i.e. when he would likely have got games). Like I said above, its more been about dumb luck than anything with Silva.

Well there was that 5 week suspension last year, just when he got back into the team - but really there's only another 30 WAFL games, 3 Foxtel Cup games and 2 reserves game to add to that - and in some of those he's been working his way back from injury, or only played out part of the game because of an injury he has sustained during a WAFL game - and a there'd be a couple that he's played before the actual AFL season has started - so its not a lot of extra availability. Maybe he's been an AFL emergency a couple of times - but on raw figures - you're only adding another average of 5 games per season to that average of about 7 AFL games per season. 2012 where he played 12 WAFL games is really the only season that he's been overlooked, but he ended up playing AFL finals that year.

I'm very suspicious about MJ being up to it next year, if he does get on the ground, it might be only a game or two before his body fails again.

I'd keep Silvagni as insurance.

I honestly can't see MJ making it through to the end of next season.

I love him when he plays but his body isn't up to a full season - he has only be good for half a dozen games per year last few years and we won't get more games out of him - same for MJ - we need young guys like Pearce and Collins to keep coming thru and I think Dawson will be the older head again next year...hope we can pick up more depth in draft!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back