Toast Alex Silvagni

Freo Dr

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
His low games number is deceiving though. For good part of that time he's been fit, but overlooked, sometimes rightly but usually placed behind Dawson who, though he has that bit more hight and proven ability to take the gorilla fwd, I rate SCOS as a more rounded and capable player. More recently (last couple of years), he really has become injury prone, but still it's usually at the wrong time (i.e. when he would likely have got games). Like I said above, its more been about dumb luck than anything with Silva.

Agree with everything but this. From my memory Zac has always played on the tallest (usually resting ruck players). When we had McPharlin playing he would take the best KPF. If Luke was out and Silvagni available, Silvagni actually got the job instead of Dawson on the #1 forward. Even MJ was used ahead of him which sacrificed his rebound. Dawson actually gets pushed off far too easily for a player his age which SNOS does not. Dawson can however get a fist in to spoil a very tall player like a ruck going forward which because of his height is SNOSs weakness. Alex Pearce covers that for us.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Really disagree with this.
The only reason we would trade Alex is because other clubs can see high value in him. ( high picks ).
That pretty much sums up the rationale in trading Michael Barlow too.
Both players should be retained on talent alone, putting aside any sentiment such as being loyal servants and popular figures around the club.

Not sure if I fully get you Fred. Are you saying we should trade him (and Balrow) or we shouldn't??

As for my position, maybe I wasn't clear. I think he should be kept on ability and need (as I pointed out in an earlier post). You also get the bonus that he's been a stayer and good clubman (from a distance at least). All good things for us right now. But, on top of that (i.e. for those thinking this way), I don't think we could get much if anything out of a trade - so with all that considered, it seems obvious to me we should keep him.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Well there was that 5 week suspension last year, just when he got back into the team - but really there's only another 30 WAFL games, 3 Foxtel Cup games and 2 reserves game to add to that - and in some of those he's been working his way back from injury, or only played out part of the game because of an injury he has sustained during a WAFL game - and a there'd be a couple that he's played before the actual AFL season has started - so its not a lot of extra availability. Maybe he's been an AFL emergency a couple of times - but on raw figures - you're only adding another average of 5 games per season to that average of about 7 AFL games per season. 2012 where he played 12 WAFL games is really the only season that he's been overlooked, but he ended up playing AFL finals that year.

Yeah, that was at the back of my mind when I posted. I didn't look at any WAFL stats and the like. Really though, it's been the last couple of years that have really hit Silva with injures. Just a run of medium term injury after another. In 2010 and late 2011 (after that strange stomach thing that made him unavailable for half the year) and 2012 especially he was available more often than not is my recollection, then in 2013 on he became patchy. And any time he seemed available there wasn't a spot in the team and when there was an opening he'd get injured (and then there's the famous brain snap at the end of last year).

That 2012 season in particular I remember a number of times Ross mentioned him by name wanting to find a way to include him in the team, but just couldn't with McPharlin, Dawson (having just joined the team that year) and MJ all basically available most of the time, there just wasn't a spot for him.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
We should be ballsy and cut one of Johnson, Dawson or silvagni this year. 3 blokes over 30 in the same position going for 1 spot doesn't compute.
you cant have too many key defenders. Dawson and johnson are contracted til 2017. silvagni is out this season. 2018 might be collins, alex pearce ans silvagni in the back 3.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Alex Silvagni reminds me of our other 2 kpps in Taberner and Hannath. They are not the best but they are honest triers and give effort but they are better than having nothing when the other kpps fall with injury.

Silvagni should of been a 100-150 game player but When ross lyon came in, Dawson got his spot and when Dawson was suspended or injured, silvagni was injured too.

pavslovechild

Team Captain
Dec 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Alex Silvagni reminds me of our other 2 kpps in Taberner and Hannath. They are not the best but they are honest triers and give effort but they are better than having nothing when the other kpps fall with injury.

Silvagni should of been a 100-150 game player but When ross lyon came in, Dawson got his spot and when Dawson was suspended or injured, silvagni was injured too.
I'm done with triers. Hawks swans Adelaide, there ain't no triers. We need consistency across the board.

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Schoenmakers and Spangher? Hawks have triers. All teams have them. If we trade Silva for pick 40 odd, that kid we pick up will be a trier.

Like your post, but just quietly we're next to no chance of picking up a '40 odd' pick for Silva. We'd be lucky to get a 4th-5th rounder. He'd more likely go to a club through the PSD if at all.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
Will get smash by postie , time to let dawson go ( paid him up) , keep silva . Dawson type need somebody like macca to complement him ( yes we got alex pearce but he is young might as well partner him with collins for rebuild and chemistry).

Fred Ziffel

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
Cockburn W.A
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not sure if I fully get you Fred. Are you saying we should trade him (and Balrow) or we shouldn't??

As for my position, maybe I wasn't clear. I think he should be kept on ability and need (as I pointed out in an earlier post). You also get the bonus that he's been a stayer and good clubman (from a distance at least). All good things for us right now. But, on top of that (i.e. for those thinking this way), I don't think we could get much if anything out of a trade - so with all that considered, it seems obvious to me we should keep him.

Yes, I am saying we should keep Alex and Barlow.

Superkoops

Norm Smith Medallist
May 7, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Like your post, but just quietly we're next to no chance of picking up a '40 odd' pick for Silva. We'd be lucky to get a 4th-5th rounder. He'd more likely go to a club through the PSD if at all.
Agreed. No way Silvani nets an early third round pick (ie that would be a pick in the 40's). Don't know about PSD pick but more likely delisted FA. I'd keep Silvani for 1 more year. But let's be honest it won't be Silvani or Dawson that carry us through to our next finals campaign.

Last edited:

johnnomac

All Australian
Jun 12, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Our back 6 next year has many 'ifs and buts' about it.

Johnson may be contracted but is his body up to it?
Dawson plays his role but is no football Einstein or backline 'general'.
Alex Pearce is solid.
Sam Collins is developing, but still has some learning to do.
Ibbotson isn't yet contracted for 2017 (I think?).
Spurr is OK-vanilla.
Sutcliffe is vanilla.
Crozier off CHB may have some currency, but only a recent 'revelation'.

Would having Silvagni in this mix help? Yes.

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Will get smash by postie , time to let dawson go ( paid him up) , keep silva . Dawson type need somebody like macca to complement him ( yes we got alex pearce but he is young might as well partner him with collins for rebuild and chemistry).
Don't know why you'd get smashed for that. Most of us know Dawson's value, but we also know his limitations.
Although I don't know why you'd even need to let Dawson go. Depth is always handy.

johnnomac

All Australian
Jun 12, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Don't know why you'd get smashed for that. Most of us know Dawson's value, but we also know his limitations.
Although I don't know why you'd even need to let Dawson go. Depth is always handy.

Some may say that HE also knows his limitations and tries to play within them - and that's not a bad thing. Dawson is a bit of a whipping boy here, which I think is a little unfair.

meima

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 5, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool
I think dawson type is really limited in current modern game, if i going to had my depth player playing in wafl, might as well be young player. Sometime need to move on . Look at the two defender premiership Collingwood player i think one of them only 29 but retire .

Proud SJW

Cancelled
Aug 27, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
I think dawson type is really limited in current modern game, if i going to had my depth player playing in wafl, might as well be young player. Sometime need to move on . Look at the two defender premiership Collingwood player i think one of them only 29 but retire .
Common theme with coaches in a rebuild is fix defence first, then attacking game plan later. Clarkson did it with the hawks in 2007, Roos with Melbourne a couple of years ago, even Hird did it with Essendon before the s**t hit the fan.

Lyon prioritised our defence too, and when he came in he brought Dawson with him to start the plan, because Dawson already knew it through and through. He's served his purpose well for years, but now I agree its time to phase him out. He's just too predictable now, and I'd really rather someone who can kick it out of defence - we always have to have someone near him for the handball and other teams know it.

Keep him for depth though.

Apr 8, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Fremantle
Dawson is a capable 1 on 1 defender but is also a liability with the ball in hand. Hopefully next year we play Silvagni, Collins and Pearce together. All can take a good grab and offer more offensively than Dawson. I honestly think we would be better off keeping Daws because we would get bugger all for him and he would be decent depth.

Bicco

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 23, 2013
Hobart
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
East Fremantle, Socceroos
Definitely keep this guy. 1 year contract, offer him basically the minimum player payments. Leaves more cash for good players and he does a pretty good job when given his chances.

Back