Traded Alex Witherden (2016-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bio:

Former club: Geelong Falcons
Height: 184cm
Weight: 78kg
Position: Defender

After a promising second half of last season saw him elevated to the NAB AFL Academy, the composed half-back entered 2016 keen to move into the midfield. But those hopes were ended by a broken leg in May, which saw him miss the rest of the season following surgery. When up and going, Witherden is a poised prospect who can pinpoint passes from the back half and is trusted with the ball. He can direct a game with his foot skills and manages to think smartly through situations.

The Brisbane Lions have selected Geelong Falcons’ Alex Witherden with pick #23 at the NAB AFL National Draft in Sydney.

After a promising second half of last season saw him elevated to the NAB AFL Academy, the composed half-back entered 2016 keen to move into the midfield. But those hopes were ended by a broken leg in May, which saw him miss the rest of the season following surgery.

Witherden, is a prolific ball winner across half back. The 189cm hybrid is good offensively, but is also responsible going the other way.

When up and going, Witherden is a poised prospect who can pinpoint passes from the back half and is trusted with the ball. He can direct a game with his foot skills and manages to think smartly through situations.

ALEX WITHERDEN: 186cm/80kg, 10/9/98

• Vic Country / Geelong Falcons
  • Hybrid Defender / Hybrid Midfielder
  • Classy utility whose ball use by hand and foot is in the higher echelon of the group.
  • Witherden broke his leg playing school football early this season and missed the final third of the year.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2016-11-25/pick-23-alex-witherden

Articles:

ALEX Witherden has put the crutches behind him.

The 18-year-old Geelong Falcons and Geelong College footballer is determined not to be defined by a sickening injury earlier this year that saw him crack his tibia and break his fibula in four places.

He knows people have his best interests at heart when they ask about his leg, but all he wants now is to hear his name called by an AFL club at tonight’s draft and to start the next phase of his life.

http://www.geelongadvertiser.com.au...k=446be6935dbdf7641be9093bd881138a-1480105928

Witherden is a smart player who is best used across half-back, where he can control the play with his foot skills and game sense. He likes to read the play but also make the next step: with ball in hand he can direct his team's next move and he is trusted with the role of creating out of the backline.

He's a confident player and at 187cm he is a nice size to take on a few different types of forwards in that backline role. In time clubs see him moving in the midfield as well, where his kicking and natural read of the game will be useful. Witherden likes to take the game forward: he enjoys being the guy in control and can move into all areas of the ground to help his side.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-11-...x-witherden-the-unlucky-playmaker-with-polish

Highlights:

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly doubt we would have ended up with this guy had he had an injury free year this season. Could have easily been a consensus top 10 draft prospect. A nice height with class ball use. Can take a strong mark as well. Will probably start his career off a half back flank but has the potential to move into the midfield similar to someone like Dyson Heppell. I wouldn't be surprised if he makes his debut next year but will hopefully have a strong pre-season and spend the first 5 or so games at least rediscovering his best form in the NEAFL.

Quigley
34. Alex Witherden

Like Simpkin, Witherden broke his leg early in the year and has not played since. That makes it hard to get a good read on him and how he fits into this draft. Simpkin was in pretty much the same boat but personally I found it easier to slot Simpkin in than Witherden. I have a few concerns with Witherden and would have liked to see more of him this year to see if there was anything to actually worry about. Athletically I am also not enthralled with him either and some testing results would have been handy to get an accurate picture of where he sits empirically rather than just guessing like I am going to be doing here.

Even before he broke his leg very badly I had concerns about Witherden's pace and endurance. There are quite a few athletically challenged outside types with good kicks who come through every year and the success rate for them is not all that high. Witherden could easily be one of those. He is pretty one paced and I doubted he had the endurance to play significant minutes through the midfield even before he had 8 months on the sidelines. He needed to build his tank this year to solidify his draft position and he has obviously has not been able to do that. Will the AFL teams be forgiving or will they let someone else take the risk?

Witherden did not show much in the AFL Academy games managing only 12 disposals a game. For a guy whose one of his big selling features is his ability to accumulate the ball behind centre that was disappointing and a little concerning. In fairness, quite a few of the Academy kids struggled in those games playing unfamiliar systems with unfamiliar teammates but given his limited exposed form this year we have to take what we can get. He did manage to average 23 disposals a game in his 2 TAC games before the injury and the 18 disposals and 7 intercept disposals he averaged as a bottom ager last was impressive and I would think would allay most concerns on this issue.

What Witherden does best is kick the ball. He takes good, attacking options when he is coming from behind the ball and is a long and accurate kick. He is composed when he has the ball and is not one of those defensive players who gets flustered when opponents close in on him. That will be tested at the next level because I don't think he is the quickest to get the ball away but he has managed so far and it is likely that he will adapt. It is possible that he turns into a Hurn type defender and I am sure most teams would take that. Brad McKenzie was also a similar type coming out and he had taken a long time to do not much (although admittedly he was much better this year).

Another selling point for Witherden is his intercept marking. He has decent height for a small medium and judges the ball very nicely in the air. He is not afraid to back himself in the air and is not often beaten. Defensively I worry about his ability to stay with a sharp small forward but if a team could play him as a loose defender or give him space and freedom to attack the ball in a defensive zone, he could be very effective. At the moment I am not seeing him as anything other than a small defender / flanker.

Witherden's break sounds like a bad one albeit clean by the sounds of it. He broke his fibula in 4 places and cracked his tibia as well. That sounds nasty to me but a recent article seems to indicate that he is tracking well to a full recovery. I say he will be managed into the new year but they are hoping there will be no ongoing issues. Whilst he has been hobbled he has used the opportunity to get an early start on the gym work that comes all new draftees way and he is up to 80kgs and pretty cut. He turned up to the Combine in very nice shape for someone who has been restricted in what he can do and that speaks highly of his professionalism.

Knightmare
24. Alex Witherden (VIC)

Best position:
General defence/outside midfield

Height, weight: 184m, 78kg

Recruited from: Geelong Falcons

Plays like: Jarrad McVeigh

Projected draft range: first to second round

Rated last month: 23

Rationale behind ranking/change of ranking: Not applicable. Season missed due to broken leg. 

Strengths:

- Production by position

- Clean kick with excellent penetration and hurt factor

- Vision to find meaningful targets up the field

- Composure and sound decision making with ball in hand

- Reads of the ball in flight

- Intercept marking

Weaknesses:

- Below average pace

- Endurance

- Scope to play through midfield unclear

Wasnt overly impressed by his highlight reel when we drafted him. But if he is as confident on the field as he is behind the mic then he will play alot of senior footy.

Wasnt overly impressed by his highlight reel when we drafted him. But if he is as confident on the field as he is behind the mic then he will play alot of senior footy.
What I saw was a series of contests , where he positioned himself to advantage , took front position,courageously, and won contests.Showed excellent judgement in tight contests,smart, natural footballer.

Anyone know how Alex is tracking ?
Looks like a very classy player, Just needs to improve his endurance... Reminds me of Michael Rischitelli early in his career but with better disposal.

Last edited:
Anyone know how Alex is tracking ?
Looks like a very classy player, Just needs to improve his endurance... Reminds me of Michael Rischitelli early in his career but with better disposal.

16789949_1879671192318079_254410248884846592_n.jpg

641 likes
2w

Recovery Report: Christensen's next steps

Alex Witherden will have scans to determine the extent of a minor hamstring strain.

Witherden injured his hamstring attempting to chase down the SUNS’ Darcy Macpherson in the opening minutes of the Lions’ NEAFL game and missed the remainder of the match.

“We’re just awaiting some scans at the moment but he isn’t too bad today. So we’ll see what comes back from those results and move forward from there," said Licht.

Around the state leagues: Who's starring in your club's twos?
State league affiliate: Brisbane Lions (NEAFL)
This weekend: Southport v Brisbane Lions - Saturday, June 17, 1.30pm, Fankhauser Reserve

Promising draftee Alex Witherden edged closer to a debut with 30 disposals, nine score involvements and eight marks off half-back.

"[Alex] has still got some areas of development that he's been working on the last few weeks but the way that he's been using the ball and setting us up offensively has been fantastic," Lions coach Mitch Hahn told AFL.com.au.

Witherden missed almost all of his draft year with a badly broken right leg and was held back by a hamstring injury earlier this season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Witherden to debut against Giants
Alex Witherden will make his debut for the Brisbane Lions on Saturday afternoon against the Greater Western Sydney GIANTS.

Witherden dominated in the midfield in the Lions' NEAFL win over Southport last Saturday, collecting 30 disposals.

Taken at pick #23 in the 2016 National Draft, the 18-year-old came to the Lions on his way back from a broken leg which ended his 2016 season.

Witherden is the fourth player from the Lions' 2016 National Draft pool to make his senior debut.
Withoherooo.jpg

Patience name of the game for Lion cubs
WHILE debutant Alex Witherden admits he has been bursting with impatience to get into the Lions’ senior side, Josh Schache is content to build form in the NEAFL.

Witherden will become the fourth debutant of the season when he runs out against GWS at the Gabba. Although 14 weeks doesn’t seem like such a wait for a draftee to get a game, Witherden’s patience has been tested. A broken leg last May ruined his draft season and he slid down the order to No.23 where Brisbane selected him with their fourth pick.

“Last year was just about waiting, I couldn’t do anything to bolster my draft prospects,’’ he said. “Then I came up here and had a few minor setbacks, I required surgery in January so I wasn’t back playing till April, it was my first game in 11 months. “I had a couple of games in the NEAFL then had a minor setback with my hamstring which ruled me out for another three. “I played a couple more in the NEAFL after that and finally found out yesterday that the dream was finally coming true which was phenomenal.’’

Although he had to watch Hugh McCluggage, Jarrod Berry and Cedric Cox all get a start before him, coach Chris Fagan had told him early in pre-season that he wanted him in the side which gave him confidence and made the wait more endurable. “As happy as I was watching them play, I just wanted to be out there with them,’’ he said. “But Fages just saying get your body right and the footy will take care of itself, we want to play you.’’

Fagan admitted he’d simply been waiting for the medical all clear to get the classy half-back into the side.
ec27097b704c52c1ea30e558cd62e4c9

Remove this Banner Ad

Back