Traded Alex Witherden (2016-2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Hope Rayners a big enough boy to handle this now. Would hate to think us forcing a player out due to salary reasons would impact our new found culture.

As I've said I know the reasoning/need. But jeez the ramifications could be massive.

Hope Rayners a big enough boy to handle this now. Would hate to think us forcing a player out due to salary reasons would impact our new found culture.

As I've said I know the reasoning/need. But jeez the ramifications could be massive.
If I was Rayner, I'd be looking to jump ship too; it still may be a possibility too with how this club operates, but I've no doubt Rayner will leave in the next few years once the bottom falls out the club and we aren't in the premiership window. Ditto, McCluggage, Starcevich, Bailey, Hipwood, Andrews, Cameron etc.

He would have known about Witho’s impending exit well before we did and he only signed on after all of that had been made public.
Pretty sure he will be fine.

If I was Rayner, I'd be looking to jump ship too; it still may be a possibility too with how this club operates, but I've no doubt Rayner will leave in the next few years once the bottom falls out the club and we aren't in the premiership window. Ditto, McCluggage, Starcevich, Bailey, Hipwood, Andrews, Cameron etc.

Oh god, perish the thought!o_O

He would have known about Witho’s impending exit well before we did and he only signed on after all of that had been made public.
Yep, players and people in everyday life move on from locations, jobs and friends all the time and get on with their lives.

Yep.

Rumours about Witherden exploring options or being forced out (depending on which narrative one is choosing to follow) started a couple of weeks ago.

Rayner re-signed last week.

Apparently Rayners Mum has moved up here now.
So Witho out, Mum in.👍
s**t, Rayner really is gone! No way I'd be hanging around if my mum moved to town.

Wow. Ok. I wasn't going that far.

Im not too sure he would have known. Maybe he did. Its more likely then not he will be ok with all this. My question is what kind of impact bringing in a daniher type on big money will have on these young kids.

Im all for daniher and the risks. But its a wait and see.

Absolutely gutted to see witho go for not much.

Im not too sure he would have known. Maybe he did. Its more likely then not he will be ok with all this. My question is what kind of impact bringing in a daniher type on big money will have on these young kids.

Im all for daniher and the risks. But its a wait and see.

Absolutely gutted to see witho go for not much.
There is always a wait and see aspect to almost every trade, in or out, at every club in the AFL.
A 34 year old declining Martin and a 22 year old stalling Witherden out of the club.
For a 26 year old key Forward in Daniher in what should be his prime years of football And a pick 10 potential plus fwd/def/mid with line breaking ability.
We keep them on the park?
I see nothing but net gain and so would the players. We are in our window.

I would like to know if Alex instigated this move.....otherwise there surely is more to it if we wanted him out.

Was never a huge fan, but surprised he is the one to trade..
Surely, it was instigated by the club. If we wanted to keep him, then we wouldn't be giving him away for not much and paying a portion/significant portion of his salary despite having 2 years on his contract.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There is always a wait and see aspect to almost every trade, in or out, at every club in the AFL.
A 34 year old declining Martin and a 22 year old stalling Witherden out of the club.
For a 26 year old key Forward in Daniher in what should be his prime years of football And a pick 10 potential plus fwd/def/mid with line breaking ability.
We keep them on the park?
I see nothing but net gain and so would the players. We are in our window.
You could change that narrative in any way you wwanted that tho: A great ruckman who has been with us for ages and will proved good backup considering we have no real ruck depth and a 22 year old half back who will probably get a gig next year when he overtakes Birchall for injury plagued key forward who is on a lot of money and injury plagued Geelong player. In saying that, I would still take Danniher and Cocky over Martin and Witherden. Just would have been good to get more of a return for Witherden

Thanks, Witho

Alex Witherden will head west for the 2021 season

The Brisbane Lions would like to wish Alex Witherden all the best for the next chapter of his AFL career at the West Coast Eagles.

The Lions have struck a deal to trade the skillful defender after he saw a greater opportunity for more senior football with the Eagles.

Witherden and draft pick 86 will head West in exchange for pick 58 and the Eagles’ future round three selection.

Witherden played 59 senior games for the Lions since joining the club with pick 23 in the 2016 AFL draft.

He was a regular in his second and third seasons under coach Chris Fagan but was only able to manage six games in 2020 as the Club advanced to its first preliminary Final since 2004.

The Lions saw an ongoing role for the popular 22-year-old, who had two years remaining on his contract, however in an environment of reducing list sizes, the Club understands his desire for more senior action.

List Manager Dom Ambrogio said Witherden had made his mark on the Lions during his four years at the Club.

“Alex was a two time Rising Star nominee & finished 10th in 2018 Best & Fairest with the Lions,’’ he said.

“He has been a popular member of the squad throughout his time at Brisbane and we wish him all the best for his journey ahead and the new opportunity that awaits him at the West Coast Eagles.’’

Remove this Banner Ad

Back