AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Manchester City, Collingwood AFLW

ALEX WITHERDEN (BL)

Draft picks:
Second-round pick
Value on open market: $300,000-400,000

Missed just two games across 2018-2019 but has been reduced to six matches this campaign with youngster Brandon Starcevich and recruits Grant Birchall and Callum Ah Chee picked ahead of him. Has two years to run on his current deal, and while the Lions won't want to lose him, Victorian clubs are already lining up for the 22-year-old who has proven himself as an astute ball user out of the back half.

Last edited by a moderator:
Been some talk about how good Witherden would be for us on the GWS board, however I'd put the odds of us getting him at under 1%, if a club can get him for the second round pick Cleary is suggesting would get it done that'd be a steal

I'd prefer we kept Witho as he is a like for like replacement for Grant Birchall who you would think plays 1 more year maximum... although I wouldn't be surprised if he is used as part of a trade deal we have in the works eg. Daniher*/Cockatoo.

* Expecting Dodumbo to match an offer.

Had plans early in his career to return to Vicco, but is now at home up here - his girlfriend is a Queenslander as well. Doubt he will leave this year, though if he can't break into the 22 again in 2021 it'll be a different story.

I'd prefer we kept Witho as he is a like for like replacement for Grant Birchall who you would think plays 1 more year maximum... although I wouldn't be surprised if he is used as part of a trade deal we have in the works eg. Daniher*/Cockatoo.

* Expecting Dodumbo to match an offer.

Why would he be involved in a Cockatoo trade? 3rd/4th rounder for Nakia and done I would have thought. Unless youre trying to extract something extra?

If all it takes is a late second rounder, I think he will be at Geelong on Day 1 of trade perod. utensil + 2nd rounder for Witherden.

If all it takes is a late second rounder, I think he will be at Geelong on Day 1 of trade perod. utensil + 2nd rounder for Witherden.

It will take a lot more than that which is the issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually don't even think he's worth a list spot.

Slow and does nothing with his kicking.

Imagine Jake Lloyd with his many flaws, but just 3 times worse.

I actually don't even think he's worth a list spot.

Slow and does nothing with his kicking.

Imagine Jake Lloyd with his many flaws, but just 3 times worse.
He kicks it 15 times a game at 74%, you have some really high expectations if that's doing nothing with your kicking.
He's actually pretty comparable to Jack Crisp stats wise, lacks the speed though can't deny that

He kicks it 15 times a game at 74%, you have some really high expectations if that's doing nothing with your kicking
Well no that's exactly it. He does nothing with the ball and most of the time he just chips it sideways, where it's almost impossible to miss, I'm sure brisbane supporters know this too.

And even then, 74% is actually quite low given his position, especially when that's literally ALL he offers.

FYI, other players are much sounder defensively and still have better and more impactful possessions - Hurn (87.78%), Short (85.11%), Ridley (87.53%), Quaynor (84.39%), Ryan (84.19%)

Well no that's exactly it. He does nothing with the ball and most of the time he just chips it sideways, where it's almost impossible to miss, I'm sure brisbane supporters know this too.

And even then, 74% is actually quite low given his position, especially when that's literally ALL he offers.

FYI, other players are much sounder defensively and still have better and more impactful possessions - Hurn (87.78%), Short (85.11%), Ridley (87.53%), Quaynor (84.39%), Ryan (84.19%)
Apart from the fact 3 of those guys are genuine A graders, and they all play in different systems and roles to Witherden, none of them are kicking the ball as much as Witherden is, the closest is Ryan who's regarded as one of the best counter attacking kicks in the league, they're all disingenuous comparisons.
Stylistically and role wise Shaw is a much better comparison for Witherden, marginally better efficiency but no where near as many kicks per game

I'm also not even suggesting Witherden is a star player, but 'isn't worth a list spot' is such a hyperbole it's not even funny, if he's available there'll be interest

Apart from the fact 3 of those guys are genuine A graders, and they all play in different systems and roles to Witherden, none of them are kicking the ball as much as Witherden is, the closest is Ryan who's regarded as one of the best counter attacking kicks in the league, they're all disingenuous comparisons.
Stylistically and role wise Shaw is a much better comparison for Witherden, marginally better efficiency but no where near as many kicks per game

I'm also not even suggesting Witherden is a star player, but 'isn't worth a list spot' is such a hyperbole it's not even funny, if he's available there'll be interest
Lol i got a feeling you haven't actually watched Witherden play.

Using 2019 stats because he wasn't even in best 22 in 2020.

In terms of meters gained per game, he is behind:

Lloyd, Rich, Stewart, Smith, Houli, Wilson, Williams, Whitfield, Newman, Short, Rampe, Sicily, Daniel, Mckenna, Jetta, Suckling, hurn, Burton, Simpson, Salem, Shaw, Tuohy, Bonner, Ryan, Savage.

Now that's a long, long list ahead of him, at the one thing he's supposed to be good at, and some of these players are very very ordinary if I'm being nice. In fact, at 360 metres gained per game, and close to 15 kicks a game, that means on average, each of his kicks equate to 20 - 25 metres gained. If that doesn't scream seagull idk what does. And when you consider how many kick ins (usually at least 50 metres) he took, just think about how often he kicks it sideways or even backwards to make his stats look pretty...

And FYI i do think he will land somewhere, but whether he deserves/is worth a list spot is another question.

Back