Cancelled
10k Posts
Jan 9, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/575326.html

Good move for him.

He has done some good work with Tassie. Rejuvenated Hilf, emergence of Bird, improved Faulkner, got the most out of Butterworth and Maher.

But really what the * are CA doing?

We got the international class coach in McDermott and the results were self evident.

Back to saving pennies and the good domestic coach. Great. What are we Port Adelaide?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/current/story/575326.html

Cricket Australia's team performance manager Pat Howard, coach Mickey Arthur and captain Michael Clarke had taken a close look at de Winter's ways of working during the recent ODI tour of the UK, on which de Winter impressed with his intelligence and affable nature despite the poor results of the team in losing 4-0 to England.

So he's being picked due to his affable nature rather than results? Steve 'joker' Smith clause much? ;)

Patto_Man wanted Waqar Younis but ends up with Di Winter. There'll be a lot of scepticism about Di Winter this summer, especially as he was interim bowling coach on the recent tour of England where the Aussie bowlers could not buy a wicket.

Good grief, Australian cricket hasn't hit rock bottom but it's getting close, a Tasmanian?!!!

Cricket Australia made a backward step in appointing Alastair De Winter as its new bowling coach to replace Craig McDermott. The funny thing is Craig McDermott won the immediate respect of our bowlers for one simple reason. He bowled against the best batsmen in the 80s and 90s to claim 290 test wickets. He went through the highs and lows and was mentored by DK Lillee and Jeff Thomson. Even though he went through a personal business crisis, Cricket Australia gave him a second chance and he took it with both hands.

Craig McDermott revived the test careers of Ben Hilfenhauss, Peter Siddle and Ryan Harris whilst he gave the right test match guidance to James Pattinson and Mitchell Starc. Our fast bowling squad was moving along the right path.

It appears that Cricket Australia made the same mistake twice in appointing Alastair De Winter. Troy Cooley and De Winter share something in common. They have not played a test match.

South Africa appointed Allan Donald as its bowling coach.

Cricket Australia made a huge mistake in overlooking Waqar Younis.

I think Waqar Younis should make himself available to mentor NSW's young squad of fast bowlers. I think the fast bowling coaching position would become vacant in 2 years time.

THE GOV

pretty sure the above user was against McDermott being signed,just ftr.

McDermott told Siddle to bowl fuller, something everyone outside of victoria, who were content with Siddle's performances, wanted him to do. de Winter totally rebuilt Hilf. Even if Hilf's return is a fluke, I know which one is the greater achievement. I'm not particularly worried. Younis would have been nice, but it could have been worse.

Craig McDermott revived the test careers of Ben Hilfenhauss, Peter Siddle and Ryan Harris whilst he gave the right test match guidance to James Pattinson and Mitchell Starc. Our fast bowling squad was moving along the right path.

Simply not true in the case of Hilfenhaus. Take a guess, who was the guy who worked all winter with Hilf? The Tasmainan bowling coach, A. de Winter.

I don't know whether he'll be any good and Waqar certainly was an amazing bowler so it's a big move to overlook him, but lets just wait and see.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back