Alicia Molik

Remove this Banner Ad

Jesus, Women's tennis is utterly attrocius.

I mean, seriously, does anyone really find it entertaining for the most part?

I watched the Molik match and her opponent, a four-foot midget, was terrible. She should have caned her 6-0 6-0. The only reason she didn't was because Molik wasn't much better. Her unforced errors were off the chart. This isn't a stab at her, but at the general standard of women's professional tennis and how it shows how you can play badly and still destroy an even worse oppnent in less than an hour of playing time. And it's not like it was a first round clash. By the third round both players in any match are expected to be capable.

Molik's opponent was short, looked overweight and resembled nothing of a professional athlete.

Up untill at least the quarter finals, a lot of the women's matches are decided in straight sets. Usually that's an hour of playing time maximum. One bloody hour. I wouldn't like to be paying for that. Make them play best of five sets. Why shouldn't they? Ok well if they want to kick up a fuss, leave it at best of three for WTA events, but for all grandslams it should be in place.

And they wonder why they don't get paid the same as men.

Rant over.

NICK THE PIE MAN said:
Really? Since when?
I thought they were all kicking up a big stink recently because they wern't? Was it changed?
It was changed about 3 years ago because of the endless whinging. So essentially the females are earning about an extra 30-50% per point compared with their male counterparts. Very fair indeed.

Snickers said:
What Molik said when she was told she was playing against Venus Williams.......
"Bring it On"
She sounds up here self in the interviews.

Giving accross the impression that shes played crap players and she will only need to lift a finger in the 2nd week.

She never thanks her opponent.

Take a page out of the Brian Lara book.

NICK THE PIE MAN said:
Jesus, Women's tennis is utterly attrocius.

I mean, seriously, does anyone really find it entertaining for the most part?

I watched the Molik match and her opponent, a four-foot midget, was terrible. She should have caned her 6-0 6-0. The only reason she didn't was because Molik wasn't much better. Her unforced errors were off the chart. This isn't a stab at her, but at the general standard of women's professional tennis and how it shows how you can play badly and still destroy an even worse oppnent in less than an hour of playing time. And it's not like it was a first round clash. By the third round both players in any match are expected to be capable.

Molik's opponent was short, looked overweight and resembled nothing of a professional athlete.

Up untill at least the quarter finals, a lot of the women's matches are decided in straight sets. Usually that's an hour of playing time maximum. One bloody hour. I wouldn't like to be paying for that. Make them play best of five sets. Why shouldn't they? Ok well if they want to kick up a fuss, leave it at best of three for WTA events, but for all grandslams it should be in place.

And they wonder why they don't get paid the same as men.

Rant over.

I agree with every point you just said.

Hawkk said:

Giving accross the impression that shes played crap players and she will only need to lift a finger in the 2nd week.

She never thanks her opponent.

Take a page out of the Brian Lara book.

Seems that's a touch of arrogance some sportspersons have, to take them to the next level. Alicia is enjoying her ride on the HUGE WAVE atm... remember, the saying, the bigger they are, the harder they'll fall. I don't have a problem with her post game interviews... if she wants to be smug, then she better expect no sympathy when things go wrong.

Now, 'Bring it on' ....hope for her sake she can talk the talk, walk the walk... otherwise those three little words will be her own sad pathetic headline.

Well I actually cop a lot of criticism from certain friends of mine who believe im sexist because I believe Women should not be getting paid the same as men, I think my observations are very fair.

As has already been mentioned here, the best of 3 sets not 5. Men are traditionally on the court longer and thus should be rewarded more. If 2 people are working a job and someone puts in more hours they should be getting paid more plain and simple.

Another important aspect is quality. The standard of tennis is higher from the Men so once again they deserve a bigger cut of the pie.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sheeds said:
Well I actually cop a lot of criticism from certain friends of mine who believe im sexist because I believe Women should not be getting paid the same as men, I think my observations are very fair.

As has already been mentioned here, the best of 3 sets not 5. Men are traditionally on the court longer and thus should be rewarded more. If 2 people are working a job and someone puts in more hours they should be getting paid more plain and simple.

Another important aspect is quality. The standard of tennis is higher from the Men so once again they deserve a bigger cut of the pie.
It's a difficult subject with no real right answer. I think it really needs to be put into perspective on the crowd drawing power of womens tennis vs the mens. I know all the arguments but womens tennis does have a strong appeal with the crowd and given that this is a Grand Slam event then the pay should be the same. Perhaps in stand alone events the prize money is minimised.

I don't see what the problem is.

She is in such great form, probably is playing better than the end of last year where she beat better players than Williams (including Sharapova). She has every chance of beating Williams... and with a run like this, she is justified talking like that as she actually has the results on the board.

jikost said:
It was changed about 3 years ago because of the endless whinging. So essentially the females are earning about an extra 30-50% per point compared with their male counterparts. Very fair indeed.

From memory it was mainly those disgusting looking things they call the Williams sisters wasnt it

Hawkk said:

No she doesnt, what do you expect her to say, "oh ******** im scared ive got no chance against Venus Williams", or act confident that she has a chance

docker_azza said:
Molik has every right to talk up herself with the forem she is carrying. Get Over It.
As for her next game I hope she does knock Venus out.
Agreed, she is playing well and should be very confident.

Good luck to Alicia Molik tonight, I really hope she wins, she deserves it, she is a great girl and I wish her all the best.

Credit to Channel 7 for showing the game live and giving Today Tonight and Home and Away the arse.

Great start as I speak with an Ace!

Alicia had a set point in the game I mentioned early but did nothing with it.

It is now 6-5 Alicia's way with Venus serving at 0-30, big chance here.

3 set points as I type.

She has the first set! 7-5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back