Remove this Banner Ad

red+black

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 12, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Second attempt in two weeks and she's beaten Mauresmo 7-6 6-1, the top seed at Qatar, to reach the final against Maria the squealer. Mauresmo again choked when a milestone was within reach: a place in the final would would have seen Mauresmo claim the #1 world ranking.

This result should see Molik move from #9 to #8 and overtake Venus. Before too long, she could be moving amongst the four Russians above her.

You go girl!

I only worry about her consistancy. To me she's like the female version of Safin, she can beat anyone on her day.

Funkalicous said:
I only worry about her consistancy. To me she's like the female version of Safin, she can beat anyone on her day.
I'm not sure if she can beat anyone on her day like Saffin can in the mens but she is playing at her best and can't be far off a top 5 or 6 ranking if she wins this one.

Funkalicous said:
She's nothing like Safin. Safin has won two grand slams, Molik has made a quarter final just once.

red+black said:
She's nothing like Safin. Safin has won two grand slams, Molik has made a quarter final just once.

She doesn't have balls either!

I clearly stated hers and Safin's similarity. I never said they have similar success, so why you had to point that out worries me.

You can worry all you like. You stated that "she's like the female version of Safin, she can beat anyone on her day" which is incorrect. She cannot beat anyone on her day, Safin can, and has.
Code:
Molik v Davenport   0-4
Molik v Mauresmo    1-3
Molik v Serena      0-1
Molik v Sharapova   1-2
Molik v Myskina     2-2
Molik v Kuznetsova  2-4
Molik v Dementieva  1-1
Molik v Venus       1-3
Molik v Capriati    0-0
So given that Molik :
- has not defeated every top 10 player
- does not lead the head to head v any top 10 player
- holds an aggregate 8W 20L (29%) against top 10 players

remind me how she is like the female version of Safin and can beat anyone on her day?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OldSchool said:
she is playing at her best and can't be far off a top 5 or 6 ranking if she wins this one.
Win or lose, and she lost, I don't think she can get any higher than #8 at the moment.
Code:
 1 DAVENPORT, LINDSAY    4965
 2 MAURESMO, AMELIE      4854
 3 WILLIAMS, SERENA      4389
 4 SHARAPOVA, MARIA      4311
 5 MYSKINA, ANASTASIA    3856
 6 KUZNETSOVA, SVETLANA  3745
 7 DEMENTIEVA, ELENA     3665
 8 WILLIAMS, VENUS       2583
 9 MOLIK, ALICIA         2426
10 CAPRIATI, JENNIFER    2359
She prevented Mauresmo from grabbing #1, and my guess is she will grab #8 off Venus when new rankings are out next week.

Looks like I won the Molik v Safin argument.

As I said, Molik has moved from #9 to #8. She's still a long long way behind #7 sbut I predict she will be top 6 by Wimbledon's end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back