Movie Alien: Covenant

Remove this Banner Ad

The irony that today's computers are more sophisticated than the ones on the Nostromo set in 2122 is obvious.

Aside from that though, it does stand the test of time really well. Lets not forget a 1979 movie, probably made in in 1977 is incredible in its level of sophistication.

I think Ionce chatted to someone who’d been involved with production. Said they had hundreds of air fix modeling kits they hacked into the spaceship model. I think it was alien, details are a bit hazy. As they say, if you can remember the seventies....

The Captain is a dumbarse but lol at him sticking his melon into the big and scary looking egg. It's ok because the weird and creepy android said "It's perfectly safe, I assure you."
That was daft, but at least he didn't go to the Prometheus School of Running Away from Things. That's hard to top for the series.

That was daft, but at least he didn't go to the Prometheus School of Running Away from Things. That's hard to top for the series.
Vickers v the doughnut ship? Should have been shot or edited a bit better or something so it looked like she 100% couldn't get out of the way of it.

tbh in the movie's climax I have more problems with the 2 co-pilots taking about 2 seconds of convincing to commit suicide. They even make 1 joke each afterwards!

The Captain is a dumbarse but lol at him sticking his melon into the big and scary looking egg. It's ok because the weird and creepy android said "It's perfectly safe, I assure you."

that was the thing, the crews were just ordinary and flawed. Just like fifo workers, or transport workers

Between her and Rickon Stark for two daftest runs

that was the thing, the crews were just ordinary and flawed. Just like fifo workers, or transport workers

Which works for the 'truckers in space' kinda thing Alien has going on. Not so much for Prometheus when they're supposed to be the best scientific minds money can buy or Covenant when they're responsible for getting 3000 colonists delivered safely.

Which works for the 'truckers in space' kinda thing Alien has going on. Not so much for Prometheus when they're supposed to be the best scientific minds money can buy or Covenant when they're responsible for getting 3000 colonists delivered safely.

Am a big fan of Prometheus, the concepts, the score. Great performance by Fassbender, loved the movie.

But it really has one of the more ridiculous moments in the Alien films, when those scientists discover new life but try to fawn and play with it like it’s a new puppy haha. I can let that slide overall because like a I said I enjoyed it otherwise, Covenant has a few of these nonsensical moments too.

Am a big fan of Prometheus, the concepts, the score. Great performance by Fassbender, loved the movie.

But it really has one of the more ridiculous moments in the Alien films, when those scientists discover new life but try to fawn and play with it like it’s a new puppy haha. I can let that slide overall because like a I said I enjoyed it otherwise, Covenant has a few of these nonsensical moments too.

Me too to a degree, I was more excited for Prometheus than I can remember being for any other movie. The concept and extension of the Alien universe is ****ing awesome and I still really wanna like the movie.

But I just can't, and the stuff you mention is a big part of that. That specific example is even dumber. Those blokes, whose lifetime career and the reason they are aboard is the study of new life, and for whom this trip would be the chance of a lifetime - their first reaction upon discovering the literal thing they were hoping to is to completely freak out and wanna run back to the ship. Then almost the next scene, upon discovering a clearly bigger/more 'alive' version of what they've already seen, its "awesome let me try to pat it". **** me drunk :drunk:

If you go back and watch Prometheus after Covenant, David's character is entirely there and consistent from the start, sort of like a central concern in hindsight.

Interesting but I find it hard to agree with you, although I'm not sure how you're defining David's character in the first place. I think his character develops and changes over the course of Prometheus. Sorry for the lateness of my post - I didn't know there was a Prometheus discussion on here (albeit some years ago).

David was a little to "Human" for a robot. Quoting a movie line and stating "it's from a film I like" Guessing that was a sign that he was a concern that he was invested in things he shouldn't be. Thought it was subtle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

David was a little to "Human" for a robot. Quoting a movie line and stating "it's from a film I like" Guessing that was a sign that he was a concern that he was invested in things he shouldn't be. Thought it was subtle.
I agree with you, Shooter. A similar example is David's behaviour while watching the film you're talking about - Lawrence of Arabia. Here David is acting more like a like a teenage fanboy trying to imitate his favourite celebrity's hair style and mannerisms than an advanced robot. It's as if he's on an adolescent search for self-identity. This idea of the early David as a teenager is reinforced by the silhouetted image of David as a Mouseketeer - in an allusion to The Mickey Mouse Club Show of last century (see below). Whatever it means, David's actions are most un-robot-like and a little too human.

DavidasMickey.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back