• Sydney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

It has been stated that the swans cap is tight
They have cap issues.
Well at some point the Buddy deal is going to bite big time.
How?

More than h self of their list is under the age of 25 (many of which the average fan would never have even heard of), and they've got 15 players who are still listed as out of contract.

I know they've still got Buddy, but overall, they shouldn't have a high priced list at the moment.

Last edited:
In 2018 he had the best 1 on 1 win rate of any defender in the entire league so definitely has that ability to defend physically 1 on 1 whilst also being super quick to stay on the more mobile forwards when needed.

Fair enough, but that also came on a fairly low number of contested 1-on-1s for a key defender (less than 2 per game). Most of the better "lock-down" types average 4-7 per game.

As others have said, he's better suited to a CHB role where he can roam and intercept, rather than being tethered to FB.

Fear not you faithful apologists.

It has been just 12 months since we identified a major shortage of defenders after some retirements, KPD's in particular. It was attacked with our usual vigour.
The pipedream of finally seeing a guy like Rampe play in position was going to become reality. So we identified and ruthlessly chased Hawthorn champion Kaiden Brand and even drafted Will Gould in early 20's. Problem solved. Ordinarily i'd be stoked to have new weapons like Brand, Gray, Clarke and Taylor onboard the last cpl of seasons (we give good homes to rescue dogs and players), but it also gave us the opportunity to play that wonderful nett-zero game by offloading without a whimper one of our only existing KPD prospects (in prime) to a new club (which may actually play him in position).

Forward wind 12 months and none of that is important anymore coz we have now identified a shortage of rucks this time. Once more into the breach. Straight onto it we were. Leaving it until very late, ignoring others, and targetting the great Tom Hickey as last available. I'm beyond speechless he chose my mob to draw the curtain on his illustrious career.

I look forward to another Ruck injury, plus the added bonus of getting Will Gould up to speed so he can go home to South Aust in 2021/22 with a solid base to finally begin his career.

"Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore"
For we are Sydney...lord of the idiots, failures of grade 3 maths, home of the "he's a top bloke" rescue player....and fanatic followers of a Carltonesque model since 2018.

How?
More than h self of their list is under the age of 25 (many of which the average fan would never have even heard of), and they've got 15 players who are still listed as out of contract.

I know they've still got Buddy, but overall, they shouldn't have a high priced list at the moment.

When North came for Heeney with a >$1M /yr deal we signed him up on some pretty big money too
With Buddy on 1.5M in 2021 and Heeney on 850 (and Parker on 700) 3 players account for ~25% of our cap

Add in Rampe, JPK, Papley, Mills and Lloyd and other 25% disappears pretty easily.

So he have 50% (~6m) cap left to cover 30 list spots (or approx $200k/player)

Can gaurantee that Aliir, Hewett, Rowbottom, Sinclair, Reid are all on more than 200k which means further pressure)
Luckily the problem really sorts itself out, 2021 is Franklins highest paid year, and it drops to $1M in 2022 and then that is cleared 2023.

When North came for Heeney with a >$1M /yr deal we signed him up on some pretty big money too
With Buddy on 1.5M in 2021 and Heeney on 850 (and Parker on 700) 3 players account for ~25% of our cap

Add in Rampe, JPK, Papley, Mills and Lloyd and other 25% disappears pretty easily.

So he have 50% (~6m) cap left to cover 30 list spots (or approx $200k/player)

Can gaurantee that Aliir, Hewett, Rowbottom, Sinclair, Reid are all on more than 200k which means further pressure)
Luckily the problem really sorts itself out, 2021 is Franklins highest paid year, and it drops to $1M in 2022 and then that is cleared 2023.

That's not really a different structure to a lot of clubs though, is it?

I would imagine every club is under cap pressure if that's the case. Without hard contract data (beyond media drip feeds), we'll never truly know.

There's probably 15-20 guys there who by right shouldn't be getting more than $100-$250K apiece, and a lot of those are yet to re-sign.

That's not really a different structure to a lot of clubs though, is it?

I would imagine every club is under cap pressure if that's the case. Without hard contract data (beyond media drip feeds), we'll never truly know.

There's probably 15-20 guys there who by right shouldn't be getting more than $100-$250K apiece, and a lot of those are yet to re-sign.

You're right that its not "that" different, in that I'd expect most clubs top 10 players probably account for 50% of cap, whilst we probably have 8-9 players account for 50% of ours (due to buddy being such a large chunk), but really that's the cap room most clubs have to work with (ignoring front/back loading contracts)

Which brings up the 2nd point, in that we could easily backload some payments given we know buddy is going to clear 500k off in 22, and another 1m off in 23 and keep whoever we wanted...

But a rebuild phase though you want to be able to front load contracts, so that you can actually maintain and improve your list, backloading contracts in a rebuilding phase is a horrible idea.

Appears to be a win/win/win situation.

See dodo, that's how its done, not by thinking you are the next Don Corleone, when you are really Don Knotts.
Well I certainly agree with 2 of your 3 wins. Port gets a ready to go,good quality, versatile AFL player for a pick likely in the low to mid 30s. Alir apparently gets a very decent financial arrangement over a good contract period. Not so sure about it counting as a win for Sydney, I think the pick they gets undersells his value. Still, Sydney posters here seem on the whole OK with it and they see him every week .

Well I certainly agree with 2 of your 3 wins. Port gets a ready to go,good quality, versatile AFL player for a pick likely in the low to mid 30s. Alir apparently gets a very decent financial arrangement over a good contract period. Not so sure about it counting as a win for Sydney, I think the pick they gets undersells his value. Still, Sydney posters here seem on the whole OK with it and they see him every week .

I'm basing the 3rd win on the assumption that Sydney needed cap space for a genuine ruckman and that was a higher priority for them.
All assumptions though of course.

First game with Port and he was outstanding.

Reads the play so well and is an excellent intercept mark! Used the ball well to.

Exactly what our backlines needed. we have decent shut down talls but needed that intercept tall.

Credit to our recruiting guys

Played well in tall intercepting role which is where he has been best utilised.

If he stays in that role and not be man on man he will flourish

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Played well in tall intercepting role which is where he has been best utilised.

If he stays in that role and not be man on man he will flourish

Jonas, clurey and if needed due to injury McKenzie will be our man on man.
We needed a interceptor. No reason he couldnt go almost all year with out a shut down role

First game with Port and he was outstanding.

Reads the play so well and is an excellent intercept mark! Used the ball well to.

Exactly what our backlines needed. we have decent shut down talls but needed that intercept tall.

Credit to our recruiting guys
prepare for some brain farts and horrible kicking eventually tho

Jonas, clurey and if needed due to injury McKenzie will be our man on man.
We needed a interceptor. No reason he couldnt go almost all year with out a shut down role

Hope so.

Is serviceable when man on man but far better when given the interceptor role. Is a shame we had to use him across multiple positions and not let him settle

Back