Traded Aliir Aliir [traded to Port Adelaide for 2021 R2 pick]

Who won this trade?

• Sydney

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Port Adelaide

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Port doesn't have a need for its 2-3 2nd round picks, so i would guess they are involved with picks coming back later to give us points for our NGA and FS players this year.

Would that type of deal suffice? I doubt port would give up Ladhams or Hayes.

I think draft picks will be a tough trade for either of us. You guys have Jones who is in the 10-20 region. We have Campbell who is in the 5-10 range and Gulden in the 20-30 range.

I don't think either team will be keen on giving up picks and if this trade were to happen it would have to involve players.

I think draft picks will be a tough trade for either of us. You guys have Jones who is in the 10-20 region. We have Campbell who is in the 5-10 range and Gulden in the 20-30 range.

I don't think either team will be keen on giving up picks and if this trade were to happen it would have to involve players.
Could be done for a 2021 pick instead.

I’m not overly convinced that port is overly interested beyond doing a bit of diligence. He doesn’t look like the type of defender we like at all. Maybe he’s identified as good depth because of his versatility?

If there’s any truth to it (which there may not be) Alir is not the type of player that port would have made promises to, and were not in a state where we would be desperate. Likely a fishing expedition. The rumours haven’t started from a very reliable source even by normal low standards.

Sydney probably wouldn’t want to let him go for nothing but port have no need to give up a good draft pick or required player.

He’s a free agent next year and going by his current progression Sydney wouldn’t get anything for him other than a token pick.

I’m not overly convinced that port is overly interested beyond doing a bit of diligence. He doesn’t look like the type of defender we like at all. Maybe he’s identified as good depth because of his versatility?
If we've tabled an offer it goes beyond diligence.

Dude has played 36 of the last 39 games, and of the three he missed, one was a late scratch for undisclosed reasons and the other two were due to a toe injury. Despite your attempts to imply he's a spud, he's quite clearly a first-choice player for them.

So what if they lack options? That doesn't somehow make him less important to them, it actually makes him more important because they don't have a better alternative. Why would they flog him off cheaply?

Then don't bring him up. It isn't a valid example because there's a difference between paying overs for a contracted player and paying a ridiculously silly amount. I'm saying you'd need to pay an extra $10k for a car that you really want but the owner doesn't really want to sell, and you're responding with "well why don't you pay an extra $100k for it then?"

Good, if your club rate him that highly, they won't trade him then. But Aliir will still require overs because he's a best 22 player and is contracted, so don't get annoyed when the pick sent to Sydney is higher than you think he's worth.
It absolutely matters if Sydney doesn’t have strong depth.

Finally we agree I didn’t compare McCluggae to Ladhams the way you’re trying to spin it. Time to get over it.

Don't really care about picks. Port will get Lachie Jones who’s looking to be a top 10 pick anyway.

64 games in 7 years suggests a 2nd rounder type pick at best. But 36 of last 39 games means he is important to the swans. Will have to give up a bit more than that because he is still in contract.

Surprising he is a RFA and is paid in top 25% of swans players, but obviously the turnover of players at the swans is greater than I have been paying attention to.

I have my doubts a SANFL and horse racer caller at SEN in SA has the good oil on this.

Don't think so. Someone did the calculations and we have plenty if we only want Jones/ Schofield. The other picks would be for a KPD which Allir would remove the need for. I am warming to the idea. Whilst he isn't exactly a stud, they are clearly interested in his versatility. Most of the time, all we need is a 3rd defender to take the tall spud like Mason Cox, Mcinerny, or the resting ruck. We have a long history of being butchered by some hack while Jonas carves up a AA CHF/FF. It also gives an option up fwd or in the ruck if Ladhams is injured. His agility would also fit into Hinkley ball. There is no way we would offer a ruck as we only have 3 and Hayes is a seriously good player. He's a much better ruck than Ladhams, but doesn't fit as well as 2nd banana. I would think Bonner, or a fringe small forward like Woodcock/Farrell would be the only players on the table and some second round picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Theres really nothing concrete that we have yet. The report came from an adelaide nobody on radio that no one has even heard of before.

Maybe it’s true, maybe it isn’t. Maybe it’s a half truth ie we’ve enquired but it hasn’t progressed very far.

Don't do me like that. Allir is coming to Port for a bag of chips and Sydney will be covering most of his salary.

Don't think so. Someone did the calculations and we have plenty if we only want Jones/ Schofield. The other picks would be for a KPD which Allir would remove the need for. I am warming to the idea. Whilst he isn't exactly a stud, they are clearly interested in his versatility. Most of the time, all we need is a 3rd defender to take the tall spud like Mason Cox, Mcinerny, or the resting ruck. We have a long history of being butchered by some hack while Jonas carves up a AA CHF/FF. It also gives an option up fwd or in the ruck if Ladhams is injured. His agility would also fit into Hinkley ball. There is no way we would offer a ruck as we only have 3 and Hayes is a seriously good player. He's a much better ruck than Ladhams, but doesn't fit as well as 2nd banana. I would think Bonner, or a fringe small forward like Woodcock/Farrell would be the only players on the table and some second round picks.

That's going to be the problem for you guys now that you've approached Aliir, we have a heap of small/medium defenders and forwards. They would hold no interest for us and wouldn't get it done.

Is it possible that the Aliir approach is about creating competition in our tall KPD hunt, which we use to get either Aliir or a McDonald from Melbourne for a lower price? (and you'd like to think that Melbourne would cover some of Tom's salary for leaving, if he did)

It seems that there's rumblings about one or both McDonalds leaving Melbourne, so it would be a lost opportunity for Port to not to consider them (particularly if Sydney want overs for Aliir)

Is it possible that the Aliir approach is about creating competition in our tall KPD hunt, which we use to get either Aliir or a McDonald from Melbourne for a lower price? (and you'd like to think that Melbourne would cover some of Tom's salary for leaving, if he did)

It seems that there's rumblings about one or both McDonalds leaving Melbourne, so it would be a lost opportunity for Port to not to consider them (particularly if Sydney want overs for Aliir)

That's a Dodoro move. Not going to win friends dicking people around.

Pick 39 for Aliir Aliir straight swap on the cards?

Sounds like the Sydney version of Dodoro there as there's no chance of Port giving up Ladhams or Hayes for your 3rd/4th best defender, whose value peaked a year ago. Ladhams is best 22 for Port, while Hayes is the future no.1 ruck who'll take over from Lycett in 2 years time.

Pick 42 if you're lucky, otherwise 51, will get the job done. Anything more than that is overs
Contracted player, Port's doing the looking, no sign Swans want to move him, you're talking rubbish, jog on

Last edited:
I don't think anything will happen.

When he got dropped mid season, media seemed to be putting him forward as a unwanted player who could be a cheap trade option for a few teams. I think the Swans would rather keep him than trade for a late pick.

I can only seeing him traded if he was pushing for a move to a particular club. Though I am not sure he has much connection to Adelaide. I thought his family was in Brisbane or Perth.

Back