Past Aliir Aliir - traded 2020, to Port

Remove this Banner Ad

tKFgZSau.jpg

Aliir Aliir

Player Profile

Aliir Aliir is a key defender with elite intercept-marking skills who generates a wealth of drive out of the Sydney Swans’ backline. Although he’s just 25, the 2013 draftee is now one of the Swans’ most experienced backmen after the retirement of champion defenders Jarrad McVeigh, Heath Grundy and Nick Smith. Aliir’s height, excellent verticle leap and cat-like movement around the footy also make him a handy option as a back-up ruckman. Born in Kenya to Sudanese parents, Aliir is an inspiration to kids from diverse backgrounds starting a new chapter in Australia. Draft history: 2013 AFL Draft 3rd round selection (Sydney) No. 44 overall.

Aliir Aliir

DOB: 05 September 1994
DEBUT:2014
DRAFT: 2013
RECRUITED FROM: Aspley (Qld)/East Fremantle (WAFL)

Last edited:
To say his performance this year is a surprise would be inaccurate. Swans fans loved him (albeit despite his occasional brain fades), the club would have loved to have kept him. He was on the precipice, and this hear he's put it together playing in a position that suits his strengths.

If talk of cap pressures is accurate (and all indicators suggest they are), i don't think we really had a choice with this trade. Clubs map out their salaries years in advance and place value on specific positions / players. Port were willing and able to offer a deal that we weren't able to match given the value we place on others in the team.

Fact is sometimes tough calls need to be made, and aliir is undoubtedly one of those tough calls that had to be made.
We didn't rate him. We would have offered him the same contract as Port if we felt he could deliver this sort of output. There's no harm in admitting that. Cap pressure exists but you keep the stars.

He was awesome back end of 16 and a huge loss before the gf

Playing ports role
Genuinely think he could have been the difference that day

Until I remember the umpiring

AA is a great player.

I think it's hard to reconcile, but even though it was terrible to lose Aliir, we made the best of it.
We made 100% sure we would get Gulden and got Hickey.

Honestly, we're very lucky that Hickey has played so well, because otherwise this trade would be an out and out failure. I love Aliir and would have wanted to keep him, but I understand that there are other factors in keeping/letting go of players.

Genuinely think he could have been the difference that day

Until I remember the umpiring

Considering his injury forced us into playing both mills and McVeigh in the backline, a fit aliir probably still would have been the difference despite the umpiring.

I think 2016 taught us that buddy + tippet on big money left us exposed from a list management perspective.

I see plenty on here still embarrassing themselves trying to defend the AA trade
Maybe we should bring back all your Horse bashing posts (there are lots!) to compare who should be more embarrassed?

Last edited:
Aliir has had a good year but I feel he is moving very quickly from underrated to borderline overrated.

Just my view…
Every Swans player is better once they leave. There were people that missed Rohan from memory

Always felt that Aliir could've been anything. Predicted back when he first burst onto the scene that he'd be a multiple All Australian defender. Would've preferred he achieve that level with us, but good on him for mastering his role and contributing to the success of a top side.

Maybe we should bring back all your Horse bashing posts (there are lots!) to compare who should be more embarrassed?

Im not embarrassed at all. We are finally back at a level we should be after under achieving for a number of years under his stewardship

All of my criticisms of Longmire in the past remain valid, it doesn’t change just because he’s finally coaching well in 2021 (which I’ve acknowledged during the course of the season).
His misuse of and subsequent decision to trade AA has proven to be an error, there’s no getting around that.

I also a struggle to see his fascination with James Bell but I’d be happy if today proves me wrong on that front. Although I’m happy to stick my neck out and predict that Bell will have little to no impact on the game today

Im not embarrassed at all. We are finally back at a level we should be after under achieving for a number of years under his stewardship

All of my criticisms of Longmire in the past remain valid, it doesn’t change just because he’s finally coaching well in 2021 (which I’ve acknowledged during the course of the season).
His misuse of and subsequent decision to trade AA has proven to be an error, there’s no getting around that.

I also a struggle to see his fascination with James Bell but I’d be happy if today proves me wrong on that front. Although I’m happy to stick my neck out and predict that Bell will have little to no impact on the game today
No Aliir trade, no Hickey. No finals in 2021. From a salary cap, draft hand, and list management standpoint, we simply wouldn't have signed Hickey if Aliir left, and if we did, there's every chance we'd lose a Parker or Dawson this year, instead.

Also, "finally coaching well", he's coached us to 3 Grand Finals, 2 Minor Premierships, 5 top four finishes, and 1 Premiership FFS.

No Aliir trade, no Hickey. No finals in 2021. From a salary cap, draft hand, and list management standpoint, we simply wouldn't have signed Hickey if Aliir left, and if we did, there's every chance we'd lose a Parker or Dawson this year, instead.

Also, "finally coaching well", he's coached us to 3 Grand Finals, 2 Minor Premierships, 5 top four finishes, and 1 Premiership FFS.

I still dont understand the NO TRADE AA NO HICKEY argument its absurd to think we knew what we were doing getting rid of AA.

We just got lucky that Hickey impact has been so good it has mitigated the sting of losing AA a little.

Stop trying to defend the trade its ridiculous we were SHOPPING AA and Hewett around due to our cap probably being stuffed.

Let it sink in we effectively traded a upcoming intercept defender for a 30yr old Ruck on his 3rd club.

I still dont understand the NO TRADE AA NO HICKEY argument its absurd to think we knew what we were doing getting rid of AA.

We just got lucky that Hickey impact has been so good it has mitigated the sting of losing AA a little.

Stop trying to defend the trade its ridiculous we were SHOPPING AA and Hewett around due to our cap probably being stuffed.
How else do we get a 2nd rounder to get Hickey and pick 34 to not go into a deficit to get Gulden?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Top 4 finishes and Grand Final appearances mean nothing, zilch if you don’t win it

1 Premiership 10 years ago with the players he has had at his disposal has been a massive under achievement.

You’re the type of poster who probably sinks the boot into Chris Scott, but they have achieved the same thing in their careers. If they don’t win another premiership neither of them will ever be recognised as great coaches outside of a small number of supporters within their own club

For the past few years we have had one of the younger and more inexperienced lists. This year is a result of the development that took place during that period (and ironically the recruitment of Hickey, at the expense of Aliir, which has assisted greatly). So I disagree that your past criticisms were valid.

He also isn’t the sole decision maker, or even the primary decision maker as to what players will be paid / signed up. So I don’t see how you can level that at Horses feet either.

The fact is over the time Aliir had plenty of opportunities in our defence. Unfortunately for him he was expected to really step up and be one of the leaders in the defence and he just didn’t. Fast forward to Port where he can line up on someone like Rohan, play the third man up and not play as a true key defender and he is flourishing.

Good for him but still no slight on the Swans IMO. Hickey has been more important and we will survive without him.

what’s the big deal about going into deficit? This years draft crop is predicted to be a poor one
Don't like the idea of compromising future drafts cause you never know how the year might turn out

Let it sink in we effectively traded a upcoming intercept defender for a 30yr old Ruck on his 3rd club.
Aliir is about to turn 27…. “Up and coming” he is not.
Someone had to go to allow space for Hickey, just the way it is.

Aliir is about to turn 27…. “Up and coming” he is not.
Someone had to go to allow space for Hickey, just the way it is.

I meant at his role he just lacked a bit of confidence with being moved into the ruck Port have given him simple instructions and he has thrived.

Space for Hickey.. look we stuffed up magnificently its ok to admit it.

I meant at his role he just lacked a bit of confidence with being moved into the ruck Port have given him simple instructions and he has thrived.

Space for Hickey.. look we stuffed up magnificently its ok to admit it.
He lacked confidence because he couldn’t step up and lead the defence, which is fine. Now he doesn’t have to amongst a stronger defensive group.

I don’t need to admit anything, I don’t regret anything.

I am pro-club and not pro-player. I also don’t get attached to players. He left and has found a club and specific role that suits him, good luck to him, but it really doesn’t concern me that much.

Top 4 finishes and Grand Final appearances mean nothing, zilch if you don’t win it
Bullshit. Top 4 finishes and Grand Final appearances are a fantastic achievement. 22% of teams make the top four each year. 11% of teams make the Grand Final. There's many factors that dictate whether or not a team can win a Grand Final. You're placing a completely disproportionate amount of the responsibility on the coach's head.
1 Premiership 10 years ago with the players he has had at his disposal has been a massive under achievement.
3 Grand Final appearances in 10 years is a huge success for any coach. We've had great teams, but in 2014 were beaten by a better Hawthorn side. Probably should have won in 2016, but it was a brilliant effort from Horse and the players to get us there in the first place, when most expected us to fall down the ladder.
You’re the type of poster who probably sinks the boot into Chris Scott, but they have achieved the same thing in their careers. If they don’t win another premiership neither of them will ever be recognised as great coaches outside of a small number of supporters within their own club
Nope. I literally just defended Chris Scott on the main board a couple of hours ago. You're the type of poster that invents scenarios to substantiate your point.

Last edited:
Chris Scott and John Longmire are such shite coaches. We really should have replaced him with all those gun coaches teams like Carlton, Gold Coast, Fremantle, St Kilda, and Essendon brought in to replace coaches they sacked. Just look at what those clubs achieved after sacking their coaches!

He’s underachieved in previous seasons simple as that and has been overrated by our own supporters

FWIW I think he’s coached well this year and I think we’ll win today.

Chris Scott and John Longmire are such sh*te coaches. We really should have replaced him with all those gun coaches teams like Carlton, Gold Coast, Fremantle, St Kilda, and Essendon brought in to replace coaches they sacked. Just look at what those clubs achieved after sacking their coaches!

I didn’t say either were poor, I just said that if they don’t add more premierships they’ll never be considered great coaches

Remove this Banner Ad

Back