Player Watch Aliir Aliir

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasnt there, and not saying you guys are wrong, but it is interesting to listen to what Bassett has a to say on the conditions on SEN ..
"It was unusual, almost like a wet-weather game"
"Roof had been left open during the night and it had rained"
"Players talked about it being very slippery"
"Being almost like a sauna, because it was wet, and then the roof was shut."
"Certainly didn't suit him (Aliir Aliir) much.

Around 8:30mins to go

Weird.

I certainly didn’t feel humidity but then 9 years in Darwin might have broken my humidity sensor?

I was at the game with the in-laws and asked them last night and both said it was warmer in the stadium than outside but not humid to them.

****ed if I know.

Weird.

I certainly didn’t feel humidity but then 9 years in Darwin might have broken my humidity sensor?

I was at the game with the in-laws and asked them last night and both said it was warmer in the stadium than outside but not humid to them.

f’ed if I know.
Were you too pissed to feel anything?

The Obsidian God had, as always, a Most Perfect and Flawless game, even his "So-Called" fumbles and "Skill Errors" including the"Apparently" free kicks were part of the Divine Plan bow down and don't look upon His Face You are Not worthy

Weird.

f’ed if I know.
I can understand it though. People not used to humidity can be sensitive to it. Also there would be quite a bit of difference between sitting still in the stands watching the game, and running around on the wet playing field in a closed stadium with no open air & wind etc. It would have been a different type of humidity for the players to deal with.

Weird.

f’ed if I know.
The humidity could be on the ground, rather than in the air. Players would feel it, but not the crowd.

The humidity could be on the ground, rather than in the air. Players would feel it, but not the crowd.

Or it could just be wet surface. Ken was interviewed at some point and when asked mentioned the roof wasnt shut overnight/before the game so rain might have got in ?

Humidity was like 90% during the game, with constant rain outside and temps were in the low to mid 20s. Water was condensing and dripping off the metal roof it was so wet in the joint. Our ball handling in context was actually pretty good.

David King hinting at 'reasons' we got AA fairly cheaply...

David King hopes the version of Aliir Aliir that we have seen so far in 2021 is the one we get across the entire season.

Traded from Sydney to Port Adelaide, Aliir has looked in career best form across the pre-season games and Round 1, playing as an intercept marking defender.

King believes off-field issues held back the talented 26-year-old in New South Wales, but believes he could be the difference if he stays fit and firing.

“In a small margin industry, all you’re trying to find is one player or one new method or to sure-up a weakness from 2020,” King told SEN’s Whateley on Monday.

Aliir Aliir has come in and I genuinely hope he can stay the professional package that he is right now today because that’s been the problem across the journey.

“That’s why he’s out of Sydney. The Swans didn’t want to lose him, but there’s been times where they’ve had to sit him down in front of the leadership group and say ‘hey are you living the lifestyle that’s going to make you the best you can be’.

“Maybe a second club challenges the headspace of Aliir. ‘I’ve got to secure this, I’m too old to be making these mistakes and this is my chance to win a flag’.

“I hope they don’t have any issues throughout the course of the season because he is exactly what they needed.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What does "fashionable" players mean?
The players that can do no wrong, the ones that are immune to any criticism. It seems that certain players can be weak at the contest, weak at their attack on the ball and the player with the ball but you can't criticise them - they are sacrosanct.

Names mean f**k all and players that just cruise around not putting their body on the line and not going hard at the contest should be called out.

The players that can do no wrong, the ones that are immune to any criticism. It seems that certain players can be weak at the contest, weak at their attack on the ball and the player with the ball but you can't criticise them - they are sacrosanct.

Names mean f**k all and players that just cruise around not putting their body on the line and not going hard at the contest should be called out.

This is completely ridiculous for a guy who's played one game

This is my post that set off the groupies:

He was weak yesterday. Did not attack the contest anywhere hard enough. Did not attack the ball or the player anywhere hard enough. He was a massive disappointment and nothing like the savage mongrel that gave Lycett a pasting when he went into the ruck against us last year.

I'd be of a mind to drop him to remind him that he's playing for Port Adelaide and his performance was far from acceptable.

Already I see the Aliir Aliir background stories being used to protect the player from being criticised for his weak performance.

"Fashionable player" is a term used in many sports to describe players who have huge personal followings eg. Ronaldo, Messi, Salah, Jordan etc etc etc as opposed to "unfashionable" players like Tom Clurey for example, who just go about their business with a minimum of fuss. It seems that it's OK to have a go at those types for putting in weak performances, that is, the "unfashionable" players but a small number of players are protected from from being taken to task.

Players drop marks, fumble, have off days; it's part and parcel of playing football but there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for not putting in, for not going hard, for being weak at the contest and anyone with a modicum of knowledge about the game could see that Aliir just cruised around in his first game at Port. He was a tourist and that is not good enough.

This is completely ridiculous for a guy who's played one game
He hasn't played one game of football. He comes from the hard at it school of football that is the Sydney Swans and we signed him because of his hardness, his ability and his attack on the ball. He is not a rookie.

Having height down back is so important post Howard

and having height confident of taking marks is even more important
Absolutely and Aliir is exactly the type of player we have been craving for a long time - he's just got to produce his best football and we will go to another level as a team.

He was weak yesterday. Did not attack the contest anywhere hard enough. Did not attack the ball or the player anywhere hard enough. He was a massive disappointment and nothing like the savage mongrel that gave Lycett a pasting when he went into the ruck against us last year.

I'd be of a mind to drop him to remind him that he's playing for Port Adelaide and his performance was far from acceptable.

Already I see the Aliir Aliir background stories being used to protect the player from being criticised for his weak performance.

"Fashionable player" is a term used in many sports to describe players who have huge personal followings eg. Ronaldo, Messi, Salah, Jordan etc etc etc as opposed to "unfashionable" players like Tom Clurey for example, who just go about their business with a minimum of fuss. It seems that it's OK to have a go at those types for putting in weak performances, that is, the "unfashionable" players but a small number of players are protected from from being taken to task.

Players drop marks, fumble, have off days; it's part and parcel of playing football but there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever for not putting in, for not going hard, for being weak at the contest and anyone with a modicum of knowledge about the game could see that Aliir just cruised around in his first game at Port. He was a tourist and that is not good enough.

You dare blasphemate against the Obsidian God and risk eternal doomnation my friend

Repent, for the Sake of your Soul's

Northalives , everybody on here expects every Port Adelaide player to give it their all every time they pull on the jumper. Nobody is attacking you for expecting that. We just think you've picked the wrong target to accuse of not doing so.

Considering we're on a forum of hundreds if not thousands of passionate Port supporters like yourself and you seem to be the only one who's seen this alleged 'softness' out of Aliir, do you think it might be possible that on this occasion you've just seen something that wasn't really there?
Thank you Schulzenfest for acknowledging that I am indeed a passionate Port Adelaide supporter and you, having been around this place for so long, you will know that I call it as I see it and sometimes, I tend to be far more critical of player's performances than others but by the same token, I am also effusive in my praise for players who have performed very well and it doesn't matter what the name of the player is.

I am astounded that people think that Aliir's attack on the ball and the contest was, in the most part, not anything else but deplorable. There were occasions during the game where he made it relatively easy for the opponents.

My initial post was that he was weak on his debut for Ports and it was like I shot JFK! I've experienced this type of reactionary response before when I've held players to account for their performances.

We’ve got to make sure he’s not isolated 1 v 1 that’s certain.
no no no no! He is very good 1 v 1 and that is why we need a player of his type. He really is a commanding player when he's at the races and we shouldn't fear him being one on one.

You dare blasphemate against the Obsidian God and risk eternal doomnation my friend

Repent, for the Sake of your Soul's
I'm f***ed anyway - I'm a blasphemer, I'm a Port supporter - you know, there are only two types of football supporters, Port supporters and those that hate them.

I've watched this game twice. Overall, he played a good first up game. Focussing on the negatives if we must, he narrowly failed to make a contest in a 1 on 2 situation in Q2. Live I wondered if he'd pushed hard enough to make it. Watching the replay I realised he didn't have a chance.

There were a couple of marking situations where the ball slipped though his hands. It was greasy. Whatever.

There was a one on one where he got caught in front and outbodied in Q3 against Todd freakin Goldstein. Hate to break it to ya, but that's gonna happen. Question, were you losing your 'nana about softness when Tommy Clurey or Trent McKenzie were getting monstered by Tom Hawkins last year? Did you post that they needed a bashing? Do you reckon you might've over-reacted a tad here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back