Toast Alistair Clarkson - thoughts on the rule changes

Remove this Banner Ad

2 rucks is interesting. Premise there is that dominant rucks will just pluck the ball from ball ups and hack it forward.

I was wondering if that would increase congestion. If you don't get in tight then the ruck will grab and kick, especially near goals. It makes me think that every ball up may end up like one near goals now where an ump may need to reset and bounce three times until a ball comes out. Dunno.

2 rucks is interesting. Premise there is that dominant rucks will just pluck the ball from ball ups and hack it forward.
More to do with the situation where the Griggs of this world would play resting ruck knowing he doesn't need to win it because his opponent can't take it out of the air anyway? I like it since both our rucks have about the stickiest hands of any rucks in the comp and are more than useful up forward.

If a side went into a game with one ruck against Grundy, for example and you lost (your ruck) early. Ouch. IMO a solid ruck forward will be very handy this year. Could be another reason why Rough is getting a run through the midfield during the pre-season. Rough is a thumping and accurate kick and can ruck as well. Super important player this year the big fella.

More to do with the situation where the Griggs of this world would play resting ruck knowing he doesn't need to win it because his opponent can't take it out of the air anyway? I like it since both our rucks have about the stickiest hands of any rucks in the comp and are more than useful up forward.

Nailed it. It’s the Grigg theory. These types will get smashed now in those areas.

Has implications for 2nd rucks who can’t play forward. And key forwards being asked to ruck. Either way, our guys will thrive.

Has implications if you’re getting nutted at the stoppage too. Rucks will just start clearing it, rendering the stoppage structure and inside mids useless at times.

Has implications of how you set up forward of the ball if rucks are thumping it forward.

Either way, Clarko and S Mitch would have thought of all possibilities and planned accordingly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back