Alistair Clarkson to help with Tassie bid

Remove this Banner Ad

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm just interested to know if people think Alistair Clarkson would be a good help for Tassie's AFL bid and if you think he would likely coach a Tassie team.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I'm just interested to know if people think Alistair Clarkson would be a good help for Tassie's AFL bid and if you think he would likely coach a Tassie team.
I think he will be huge in the AFL bid - just by lending his name to the campaign. But he is also clearly a great strategic thinker and powerful advocate.

No idea whether he will coach the team when / if formed. I like the idea but would depend on what he is doing at the relevant time and whether he is contracted to some other role. But it probably doesn’t matter. New coaches will be recognised as talented and capable by the time a team emerges.

What is interesting about his desire to work towards this goal is that it is likely to impact the finances of two teams in particular which are North and… Hawks.

Clarko has been pretty gracious publically about this messy handling of his exit (or sacking) but this move makes me wonder if he has built a store of heavy-duty resentment against Kennett and the Hawthorn administration. If he has then look out Hawks, Clarkson has shown that he is capable of getting whatever he sets his mind to done very thoroughly

You only have to listen to him talk about grassroots Tassie footy, giving back to the state, his long involvement down there, etc to know that something is afoot.

Jables

Club Legend
Jun 16, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
NY Giants, Hornets, Bulls
Suspect Clarko would quite enjoy giving the finger to Kennett by joining a Tassie bid tbh, though it would never be the main reason.

Feb 26, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Unless the AFL pay his wage for the next 5 or 6 years I imagine he is going to be coaching GCS or GWS when Tasmania get a team or merge with another team.
Could see him do a Roos type limited tenure and handover at GCS followed by a move to Tassie to set them up. I’m sure the fine details could quickly be sorted during a coffee with Gil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarkson will provide assistance in developing a strategy for funding the new team, a proposed stadium in Hobart, state football pathways and talent identification as the taskforce creates a runway towards a standalone AFL team in Tasmania.

“Alastair will use his existing knowledge and access to prime American sports teams to provide specification on what is required for a best-of-breed training and high-performance centre,” Mr Gutwein said.

“He’ll also provide input on the best way to engage with ex-Tasmanian AFL players, here and interstate.”

Mr Taswegian

Roo Man
May 25, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Clarkson will provide assistance in developing a strategy for funding the new team, a proposed stadium in Hobart, state football pathways and talent identification as the taskforce creates a runway towards a standalone AFL team in Tasmania.

“Alastair will use his existing knowledge and access to prime American sports teams to provide specification on what is required for a best-of-breed training and high-performance centre,” Mr Gutwein said.

“He’ll also provide input on the best way to engage with ex-Tasmanian AFL players, here and interstate.”

I struggle to see a new Stadium in Hobart being viable unless it's used for other sports and concerts.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Isn't that the point of most stadiums?
Which sports and what concerts though?

To move the occasional cricket test (almost certainly outside of school and public holidays), ODI, t20 and a few big bash games from Bellerive and it's 20k capacity a short swim across the Harbour seems like an epic waste of money.

Not sure even with a bigger stadium Hobart is getting all the big musical artists either. They often have such limited dates in Australia as is.

Then there's the biggest issue of the lot - the Tasmanian team surely splits games between Hobart and Launceston. I assume the split will be somewhere between 6-5 and 8-3?

A new stadium for 6-8 AFL games a year and a few extra people at the cricket seems an absolutely horrendous waste of public funds.

Back