All Australian 2000-09 vs 2010-present Hindsight Cup

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
3 and 8 is bloody disgraceful, how on earth can the captain of the decade have a 27% win record (should be 18%) in finals. All those hawthorn chokes (and almost chokes), losing to North and expecting to win vs Freo. Selwood is a fierce competitor but also a sore loser ala when he refused to shake Pendleburys hand when Pendles took him to the cleaners.

lol, Geelong kept finishing top 4 because of compromised drafts and no other side wanting to step up to the plate.

At least the Cats were having a crack. Other sides were just shitting themselves after years of being violated.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Both overrated footballers. Betts has excelled at his position more than Hodge has at his though.

Eddie shown up for a game that counts lately?

I think Hodge was a touch lucky yo get his 2nd NSM but if he didn't play in '08, Hawthorn don't win that flag.

What's Eddie done?

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
Eddie shown up for a game that counts lately?

I think Hodge was a touch lucky yo get his 2nd NSM but if he didn't play in '08, Hawthorn don't win that flag.

What's Eddie done?

Is Hodge a better than Eddie? Yes. Relative to his role? No. Eddie's been the best small forward in the past 20 years (which says a lot about the small forwards of late) while Hodge isnt close when it comes to midfielders. Hodge hasnt been a very good kick for a half back, the easiest role in the game. The comparison is flawed, Hodge can't defend a man anyway.

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
lol, Geelong kept finishing top 4 because of compromised drafts and no other side wanting to step up to the plate.

At least the Cats were having a crack. Other sides were just shitting themselves after years of being violated.

Please, if your going to use that argument then concede its the Kardina Park advantage not other teams shitting themselves.

inbetween

All Australian
Aug 14, 2010
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Vikings
Is Hodge a better than Eddie? Yes. Relative to his role? No. Eddie's been the best small forward in the past 20 years (which says a lot about the small forwards of late) while Hodge isnt close when it comes to midfielders. Hodge hasnt been a very good kick for a half back, the easiest role in the game. The comparison is flawed, Hodge can't defend a man anyway.

Betts has the been the best small-forward of the last 3 years, not the past 20 mate.
A handy player by the name of Stephen Milne probably deserves that title; thought admittedly Betts would probably come in second.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Betts has the been the best small-forward of the last 3 years, not the past 20 mate.
A handy player by the name of Stephen Milne probably deserves that title; thought admittedly Betts would probably come in second.
Steve Johnson averages only 0.15 less goals per game than Betts, and spent half his game time playing upfield.

He and Milne would both be ahead. And in the time he played in the last 20 years, Brad Johnson averaged 1.9 goals a game as well.

I realise they aren’t small forwards in the same physical sense as Betts but they played the same sort of role as the non-power goal kicking forward

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
Steve Johnson averages only 0.15 less goals per game than Betts, and spent half his game time playing upfield.

He and Milne would both be ahead. And in the time he played in the last 20 years, Brad Johnson averaged 1.9 goals a game as well.

I realise they aren’t small forwards in the same physical sense as Betts but they played the same sort of role as the non-power goal kicking forward

Steve Johnson is 189 cm and his best year was in the midfield. Brad Johnson played like a key forward who could go up the ground. Give me Stevie J over Betts any day but Betts fits the criteria of that small crumbing forward.

Milne you can make a case for, hes probably par with Betts. Betts has kicked 80 goals while the most Milne kicked was 60, and also has one more All Australian, so thats why I have him ahead. Greene has the talent to surpass both of them.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Steve Johnson is 189 cm and his best year was in the midfield. Brad Johnson played like a key forward who could go up the ground. Give me Stevie J over Betts any day but Betts fits the criteria of that small crumbing forward.

Milne you can make a case for, hes probably par with Betts. Betts has kicked 80 goals while the most Milne kicked was 60, and also has one more All Australian, so thats why I have him ahead. Greene has the talent to surpass both of them.

Some fair arguments. I did post above that I realise they don’t all match Betts in terms of being classic small forwards but they played similar roles in terms of being prolific on the scoreboard without being genuine marking forwards. Though Brad Johnson played as one when he had to.

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Enright over Aker is the interesting one for me. Borris was always my favourite non Essendon player, but I reckon Aker was the better player

Apr 6, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Bruce Montieth was a premiership captain from the bench.

It's not 1980 anymore where you might get a quarter if you started on the bench. These days you can be on the ground inside the first minute.

A couple of people have told me this now. I know their bench stay will be short and I wasn't saying selwood shouldn't be captain, simply that when I see the all Australian teams named I can't remember the captain being on the bench

Edit. Just checked the people that replied to my first post. Both cats fans with the issue...

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Enright over Aker is the interesting one for me. Borris was always my favourite non Essendon player, but I reckon Aker was the better player

Certainly the more gifted and likely to change a game, and look, Aker was one of my favourite non Cats of all time himself.

But in enright’s defence, he’s been spoken about by some as being arguably the best in his role/position of all time, alongside Bruce Doull. Combined with his longevity and number of AA guernsies he mounts a good case for himself

Snake Charmer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 11, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Minnesota Timberwolves
Certainly the more gifted and likely to change a game, and look, Aker was one of my favourite non Cats of all time himself.

But in enright’s defence, he’s been spoken about by some as being arguably the best in his role/position of all time, alongside Bruce Doull. Combined with his longevity and number of AA guernsies he mounts a good case for himself

Totally agree. Enright would be the first "small" picked in my backline

Danger!Selwood

All Australian
May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
I agree they are not all on Selwood (e.g. on the run rebuild with average picks, Chris Scott playing Danger forward in the prelim last year), but he has to take some responsibility especially for that piss weak Freo game on their home turf. That was Geelongs to lose and clearly the players went into the first quarter thinking it was going to be a cakewalk, a sign of poor leadership.

Again he is a sore loser and is the 8th best midfielder in that team. 3 and 8 still stands regardless. Give me Rance over 3-8 Selwood.

Rance is part of a leadership group, co vice captain of a premiership team. Pretty nice

Selwood was part of a leadership group who won a premiership in 2009, and was vice captain of a premiership winning side in 2011. Selwood has now captained his side to finals in 5 of the past 6 years and won as many of those finals as Richmond have won in the same time. And somehow Rance is a better captain? Righto, Big Footy logic at its finest!

And I'd much rather a captain who is a sore loser (shows he cares), than a captain who is laughing and joking after the game with his opponents.

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
Rance is part of a leadership group, co vice captain of a premiership team. Pretty nice

Selwood was part of a leadership group who won a premiership in 2009, and was vice captain of a premiership winning side in 2011. Selwood has now captained his side to finals in 5 of the past 6 years and won as many of those finals as Richmond have won in the same time. And somehow Rance is a better captain? Righto, Big Footy logic at its finest!

And I'd much rather a captain who is a sore loser (shows he cares), than a captain who is laughing and joking after the game with his opponents.

Good job avoiding the 8 losses as captain

Magpie Monopoly

A Good Bloke
Jul 11, 2014
Syria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
No unbiased selectors would take Betts over Hodge. You're arguing a ridiculous point. Hodge is a better footballer, a better leader, more accomplished and has been doing it for longer.

Take your Crow glasses off for a minute and you might actually get some insight...

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs
No unbiased selectors would take Betts over Hodge. You're arguing a ridiculous point. Hodge is a better footballer, a better leader, more accomplished and has been doing it for longer.

Take your Crow glasses off for a minute and you might actually get some insight...

I didn't say I'd take Betts, I just pointed out facts and said the comparison was flawed.

Magpie Monopoly

A Good Bloke
Jul 11, 2014
Syria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oklahoma City Thunder
I didn't say I'd take Betts, I just pointed out facts and said the comparison was flawed.
"Betts has excelled at his position more than Hodge has at his though."

"Is Hodge a better than Eddie? Yes. Relative to his role? No. Eddie's been the best small forward in the past 20 years (which says a lot about the small forwards of late) while Hodge isnt close when it comes to midfielders. Hodge hasnt been a very good kick for a half back, the easiest role in the game."

Clearly trying to make the argument you think the articles assertion that Betts is better than Hodge is correct...

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

"Is Hodge a better than Eddie? Yes. Relative to his role? No. Eddie's been the best small forward in the past 20 years (which says a lot about the small forwards of late) while Hodge isnt close when it comes to midfielders. Hodge hasnt been a very good kick for a half back, the easiest role in the game."

Clearly trying to make the argument you think the articles assertion that Betts is better than Hodge is correct...

Betts doesnt come close to Hodge for influence in games. And the idea Hodge wasnt that good off the half back is just plain ridiculous.

Sep 19, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Lakers, Chiefs

The articles comparison doesn't make sense, why is a HB/Midfielder being compared to a Small forward? I tried to make sense of why you'd take Betts over Hodge, and I even said Hodge (although overrated) is better than Betts.

Back