Toast All-Australian 2022

Who makes the final team?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We showed what happens when you try to put an outside mid in the guts during the GF. Viney absolutely destroyed Treloar on multiple occasions which led to our avalanche of goals
Lol so one example one time is evidence?
Treloars an unnacountable crab but it was Libba who gave up the positions not him.
There is a tonne of examples of other clubs using outside runners as a 3rd option with heaps of success. Swans and Pies cream us with the tactic

The AFL surveyed a bunch of journalists on who should be in the AA team, and apparently Trac, Oliver and Gawn were unanimous selections (Trac at HF) so that might be an indication of how the selection team is likely to see it. May was also voted into the team:

AFLcomau-2022-All-Australian-team.jpg

Its not a bad side tbf, cant really argue against anyone there. Im just sad Gus doesn't make it.

edit: Id probably have Miller captain over Gawn this year. That dude has been a one man warrior for his team for so long now, shows up every week.

Lol heard Bernie Vince's AA side, he didn't have Shai Bolton because he's not accurate enough. Had Trac on a flank lol. Shai Bolton has been *loads better than Trac this year that dude should win a Brownlow

I’m glad the Bont isn’t on this journalist picks list. I think he is an absolute gun, but has had an ordinary year by his standards and it annoys me where someone gets picked just because

That side above is a pretty good effort IMO.
Not sure May has had an AA season but there's not a great deal of competition for full back. Gus probably deserves a bench spot but there's always 8-10 in the mix for the bench. Someone like Blicavs is really hard to judge because you can't compare him against anyone else.

Lol heard Bernie Vince's AA side, he didn't have Shai Bolton because he's not accurate enough. Had Trac on a flank lol. Shai Bolton has been *loads better than Trac this year that dude should win a Brownlow
Trac's had an awesome year on every front aside from goalkicking, and even then he's kicked 20 from midfield. Bolton's a gun but its only because he's come from next to nowhere whilst Trac is off a Normy that anyone could think Bolton has been *loads better.

Again, stats don't tell the full story, but for two starting mids (Bolton spends more time fwd tho) Trac averages way more touches (contested and non-contested), more clearances, more tackles, better DE%, more score involvements, heaps more metres gained and almost double the effective disposals. Bolton averages double goals though, despite being largely inaccurate. IMO he's the best goalkicking mid in the league and its not close, but he needs to do more heavy lifting in the contest.

I was surprised how big the difference was, because the eye test says they're both top 10 players in the league this season: Christian Petracca and Shai Bolton AFL Stats Comparison

Trac's had an awesome year on every front aside from goalkicking, and even then he's kicked 20 from midfield. Bolton's a gun but its only because he's come from next to nowhere whilst Trac is off a Normy that anyone could think Bolton has been *loads better.

Again, stats don't tell the full story, but for two starting mids (Bolton spends more time fwd tho) Trac averages way more touches (contested and non-contested), more clearances, more tackles, better DE%, more score involvements, heaps more metres gained and almost double the effective disposals. Bolton averages double goals though, despite being largely inaccurate. IMO he's the best goalkicking mid in the league and its not close, but he needs to do more heavy lifting in the contest.

I was surprised how big the difference was, because the eye test says they're both top 10 players in the league this season: Christian Petracca and Shai Bolton AFL Stats Comparison

Disposal efficiency, metres gained, effective disposals, touches etc are all just useless useless stats.

You only need to watch the cleanliness of Bolton around the ball, the goals he kicks out of nothing and the marks he takes out of position to realise that boys a superstar.

20 disposals from Bolton are worth more than 30 from current Oliver and Viney

Six All-Australians for Gawn, level with Dean Cox. Has made AA in every season where he's played 14 games or more. What a man

No offense to Max, but hes not close to player Cox was no matter how many AA teams he makes or captains.

No shame in that. Cox is the best ruckman ive ever seen.

Steven May got robbed in 2020 of an AA so gets one back in 22'

Keeps getting better for the people who didn't want him :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gawn. One of the best ever. Was Petracca that good this year?
Not as good as last year, but fourth in coaches votes. Gets marked too harshly on here

Not as good as last year, but fourth in coaches votes. Gets marked too harshly on here
I'm not going to speak for others but he has the playing ability of an all time great, being the about 5th best player in the league is meh for me. He's still a gun but he has so many more attributes to be a gun than Clarry for example.

In my view he is one big september and another flag from passing Cox. We almost underrate him at times IMO
I don’t.

I imagine in his day, Cox was a victim of his own standards too. For Max, when you see him play at his best there is a temptation to crucify him when it doesn’t reappear.

I’m super dumb though. I was sitting in the stands at some point in 2021 (before it all shut down again) and for the first time it really occurred to me that I was watching one of the greatest players for the Melbourne Football Club that will leave a legacy as great as pretty much anyone.

All that and he can’t pronounce echelon

. I was sitting in the stands at some point in 2021 (before it all shut down again) and for the first time it really occurred to me that I was watching one of the greatest players for the Melbourne Football Club that will leave a legacy as great as pretty much anyone.
Max will be a Dees legend but I tend to mark him too hard for his tap work, we should be smashing teams from clearances but my pet peeve is seeing Max hit the ball to opposition mids far too often, does my head in.

Max isn't a great 'ruck' per se. His around the ground and centre bounce tap work is meh compared to the best. He's a superstar follower ruck at impacting during general play. Being one of if not the best contested marks in the game.
Cox was like Jackson, he was the 5th midfielder his skills were incredible.

Can't find the video but his goal in the granny after 2 bounces and then straightening from 50 was insanely good

Back