All Australian Hopefuls 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

We are nearly half way through the year and I've seen a few AA team predictions floating about.

Surprisingly I haven't seen one that lists more than 2 of our players. Maybe that's not so suprising?

I'm not sure if that means we are still underrated or that we have just been putting in team performances?

Who do you guys think should be in the discussion for the AA squad at this stage of the season? Will be interesting to see how things change throughout the year.

So far I think:

FIRMLY IN THE DISCUSSION

Gawn - Grundy is the only real opposition in this category I think there is a clear gap between these two and Nic Nat. Will be a good contest Queens Birthday.

Oliver - Ranked 14th in Inside 50s, Ranked 1st in Handballs, Ranked 13th Disposals, Ranked 4th in Tackles, Ranked 5th in Tackles Inside 50, Ranked 4th Contested Possessions, Ranked 12th Effective Disposals, Ranked 4th in Clearances and Ranked 14th in Score Involvements.

Hogan - Averaging 20 disposal and 2.6 goals a game. Ranked 10th in Marks, Ranked 3rd in Goals, Ranked 5th in Marks Inside 50, Ranked 4th in Score Involvements.

BUILDING

Melksham - Kicked 14 Goals. Ranked 1st in goal assists. 6th for score involvements. 1st for one on one contests won.

Lever - Started the season slow but has crept up to 4th for intercept possessions averaging 10 a game the last 6 weeks. If this trend continues he will be in the frame.

Hibberd - back in last years AA form after a slow start. Should be in consideration by years end.

T-Mac - Probably missed too much footy. But look out 2019 if he is healthy.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
We are nearly half way through the year and I've seen a few AA team predictions floating about.

Surprisingly I haven't seen one that lists more than 2 of our players. Maybe that's not so suprising?

I'm not sure if that means we are still underrated or that we have just been putting in team performances?

Who do you guys think should be in the discussion for the AA squad at this stage of the season? Will be interesting to see how things change throughout the year.

So far I think:

FIRMLY IN THE DISCUSSION

Gawn - Grundy is the only real opposition in this category I think there is a clear gap between these two and Nic Nat. Will be a good contest Queens Birthday.

Oliver - Ranked 14th in Inside 50s, Ranked 1st in Handballs, Ranked 13th Disposals, Ranked 4th in Tackles, Ranked 5th in Tackles Inside 50, Ranked 4th Contested Possessions, Ranked 12th Effective Disposals, Ranked 4th in Clearances and Ranked 14th in Score Involvements.

Hogan - Averaging 20 disposal and 2.6 goals a game. Ranked 10th in Marks, Ranked 3rd in Goals, Ranked 5th in Marks Inside 50, Ranked 4th in Score Involvements.

BUILDING

Melksham - Kicked 14 Goals. Ranked 1st in goal assists. 6th for score involvements. 1st for one on one contests won.

Lever - Started the season slow but has crept up to 4th for intercept possessions averaging 10 a game the last 6 weeks. If this trend continues he will be in the frame.

Hibberd - back in last years AA form after a slow start. Should be in consideration by years end.

T-Mac - Probably missed too much footy. But look out 2019 if he is healthy.

I think that's a pretty reasonable assessment. There's probably not many Dees being mentioned for consideration as tradionally the AA team is stacked with midfielders and behind Clayton, our next best consistent mid performer this year is Jones whose stats wouldn't quite be enough for squad consideration right now.

10th in the AFL for inside 50s (1st for the Dees)
19th in the AFL for disposals (2nd to Oliver for the Dees)
26th in the AFL for clearances (2nd to Oliver for the Dees)
27th in the AFL for centre clearances (2nd to Oliver for the Dees)
41st in the AFL for tackles (3rd behind Oliver and Harmes for the Dees)

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
As I said in the other thread we have to get our heads around our guys getting the other end of the success stick with selection if we remain a top 2-3 side. So Gawn and Hogan on current form plus Oliver and whichever defender puts up the best case.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
Gawn yes, Hogan yes, Oliver maybe.

In a way Melksham is more chance than Oliver due to the lack of competition over small forward slots.

Hibberd, no. Lever, probably not. Jetta, no.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I don't know if it's because we have 40 good inside mids this year but while Oliver has a much more rounded game I feel he isn't influencing games as much as last year. Could be wrong though.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think he has had a bit less responsibility with Brayshaw coming good.
And Harmes/Salem. I also think he's working through becoming a more rounded player. Spending time forward and also picking his moments to receive the ball outside the pack rather than hunting it himself.

Tempy Tiger

Premiership Player
Sep 18, 2006
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't know if it's because we have 40 good inside mids this year but while Oliver has a much more rounded game I feel he isn't influencing games as much as last year. Could be wrong though.
It’s because he’s getting tagged. Simples. If Brayshaw keeps killing it, watch how much this will make Clarrys life easier.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oscar McDonald?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Should be in the conversation.. maybe not flashy enough for the selectors.

Should be in the conversation.. maybe not flashy enough for the selectors.
yep defenders are judged more on their disposals than their defence these days

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Monday night on On The Couch, Jono Brown said he thought we had 11 blokes that, at their best, were AA/elite players. He said adding them to Vince/Lewis who have been that level in their career gives us 13 in that tier.

Didn't mentioned who the 11 were, and it poses a few interesting questions as you work down the list (Bold are in the squad as at today in my view):
Gawn
Hibberd
Lever
T Mac
Hogan
Oliver

Jetta
Melk
Viney
Brayshaw
Petracca
Jones

That's 12. Thinking he excluded either Jones because we've seen his best and it's just below AA, Brayshaw/Petracca because they haven't done it over a season yet or Jetta because people often forget Nev.

Then there's these 4 that have, at times, done things AA players do, but I wouldn't yet put them in the same bracket.

Salem
O Mac
Garlett
Hunt

jhong

Old man yelling at clouds
Apr 18, 2011
Wonthaggi
AFL Club
Melbourne
Monday night on On The Couch, Jono Brown said he thought we had 11 blokes that, at their best, were AA/elite players. He said adding them to Vince/Lewis who have been that level in their career gives us 13 in that tier.

Didn't mentioned who the 11 were, and it poses a few interesting questions as you work down the list (Bold are in the squad as at today in my view):
Gawn
Hibberd
Lever
T Mac
Hogan
Oliver

Jetta
Melk
Viney
Brayshaw
Petracca
Jones

That's 12. Thinking he excluded either Jones because we've seen his best and it's just below AA, Brayshaw/Petracca because they haven't done it over a season yet or Jetta because people often forget Nev.

Then there's these 4 that have, at times, done things AA players do, but I wouldn't yet put them in the same bracket.

Salem
O Mac
Garlett
Hunt
Thought he said potential AA .

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
OMac is clearly in the very select group of greatest defenders of all time. I'm furious daily to discover that the AFL haven't changed their rules around Legend status so he can be elevated at once.

Sep 20, 2005
Hell
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks
Oliver is better but has had less Viney working around him. Remember watching one highlight clip last season full of Oliver doing work with Viney blocking, hitting and generally causing mayhem around Clarry's calm handballing motion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back