All Australian Team 2016

Which player is the most stiff to miss the AA squad?

• Total voters

rooboy29

All Australian
Jun 11, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes but this is kind of the point, its all very well to say Tarrant got ontop, but if GWS had the easy out in Patten, a part of that is simply because going forward GWS already had a very effective pathway to goal, so directed more ball that way.

If you'd watched the game you would already know that Buddy did spend most of his time up the ground / on the wing, he spent very little time inside 50.
Did watch the game and think your making up excuses as why buddy went goaless and had 5 touches to 3qtr time.. if tarrant didnt stand buddy when he was inside 50 then i dont know who did cause it wasnt thompson as he went off before qtr time sooo basically leaves firrito and hansen who both arent big enough or athletically capable

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
So, Steven Motlop.

In 2013, he was in the AA Squad of 40. In 2016, he's barely been mentioned.

2013 H&A season - 21 games, 17.57 disposals per game, 4.10 inside 50s per game, 1.86 goals per game, 0.76 goal assists per game, 1.81 tackles per game, Champion Data Player Ranking Score Average of 83.83.

2016 H&A season - 22 games, 19.91 disposals per game, 4.45 inside 50s per game, 1.64 goals per game, 0.73 goal assists per game, 2.55 tackles per game, Champion Data Player Ranking Score Average of 85.23.

Why such a difference in perception between the years?

Wasn't his middle of this season all kinds of bad?

chaelsonnen

All Australian
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yes but this is kind of the point, its all very well to say Tarrant got ontop, but if GWS had the easy out in Patten, a part of that is simply because going forward GWS already had a very effective pathway to goal, so directed more ball that way.

If you'd watched the game you would already know that Buddy did spend most of his time up the ground / on the wing, he spent very little time inside 50.
So what are you saying exactly? In relation to Tarrant? Because right now it just sounds like you're a bit bitter that he towelled up Buddy last week...Ultimately Patton playing well on Firritto, has nothing to do with Tarrant's performance on Cameron tonight. You're trying to discredit his game for something he didn't have control over. Bitter.

Thewlis Dish

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 9, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
FGR
Why wasnt he moved onto Patton then?

I genuinely questioned if we were even trying to win tbh.

That said, you can only play on the guy your coach puts you on. Bit harsh to use Patton's game as an argument against Tarrant, who was excellent again. I expect GWS would have gone through whoever Tarrant wasn't on.

chaelsonnen

All Australian
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Wasn't Buddy injured early last week?

And doesn't that diminish the value of keeping him goalless?
Went off for around 10 minutes, but played the whole game. As well as playing this week and kicking 7.4. Bottom line, his 'injury' can't have been 'that' bad.

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Went off for around 10 minutes, but played the whole game. As well as playing this week and kicking 7.4. Bottom line, his 'injury' can't have been that bad.

It may have been that bad. Injuries during games can sometimes not impact players a week later.

There is no evidence to be definitive about it either way.

Tarrant has been good, but it's ok to admit that perhaps Buddy was injured last week.

chaelsonnen

All Australian
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
It may have been that bad. Injuries during games can sometimes not impact players a week later.

There is no evidence to be definitive about it either way.

Tarrant has been good, but it's ok to admit that perhaps Buddy was injured last week.
Yes perhaps he was affected, perhaps he wasn't. Only Buddy would know the extent. So there's no point in trying to say it 'diminishes' Tarrant's performance, when we don't know.
All I'm pointing out is that Buddy appeared completely fine this week, make of that what you will.

cardje

All Australian
May 6, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tarrant just kept Cameron to 1 goal and wasn't even on him when it was scored. Taliban Tarrant McGovern for me.. If Rance makes it it's purely media driven

Aug 22, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Yes perhaps he was affected, perhaps he wasn't. Only Buddy would know the extent. So there's no point in trying to say it 'diminishes' Tarrant's performance, when we don't know.
All I'm pointing out is that Buddy appeared completely fine this week, make of that what you will.

Fair call. Maybe it was a great defensive effort. Maybe Buddy was just injured.

Shouldn't say it 'diminishes' just as we shouldn't say that it's definitely a good performance.

Given the uncertainty I think it's hard to give too much weight to the game when considering AA selection.

TyHawk

Premiership Player
Oct 14, 2013
Jupiter
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Manchester City
Tarrant is an excellent backman who should be in the 22 with no problems. Had a great year.

s**t night tonight and the cliche gets thrown around a lot. Petrie I knew was playing because he was a major headline.
But I actually didn't know Cameron was playing until he tried starting fights with Tarrant.
Robbie surely gets in as he's had zero help all year and North definsively has done well due to him.

R_Grunter

Club Legend
Jul 13, 2016
Darwin
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Melbourne Football Club
So, Steven Motlop.

In 2013, he was in the AA Squad of 40. In 2016, he's barely been mentioned.

2013 H&A season - 21 games, 17.57 disposals per game, 4.10 inside 50s per game, 1.86 goals per game, 0.76 goal assists per game, 1.81 tackles per game, Champion Data Player Ranking Score Average of 83.83.

2016 H&A season - 22 games, 19.91 disposals per game, 4.45 inside 50s per game, 1.64 goals per game, 0.73 goal assists per game, 2.55 tackles per game, Champion Data Player Ranking Score Average of 85.23.

Why such a difference in perception between the years?
Compare those stats to say Lachie Neale and there is your answer.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Compare those stats to say Lachie Neale and there is your answer.
Neale has 6 goals. Motlop 34. Think motlop is well in front for a forward role. In any case if you had to pick a geelong forward you would go Menzel. Kicked almost as many goals as motlop from 5 less games a d another 4 games where he could barely run because of his knee.

Tasfut

All Australian
Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Haven't had a crack at a team for awhile but here it goes-

FB: Talia Rance Rampe
HB: Laird McGovern Docherty
C: Hannebery Sloane Martin
HF: Greene Franklin Rioli
FF: Betts Kennedy Lynch (GC)
R: Gawn Dangerfield Kennedy